What's new

world’s largest naval exercises in Hawaii

US hosts world’s largest naval exercises in Hawaii, with 25,000 sailors from 22 countries

PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii — Some 25,000 sailors and other military personnel from 22 nations are converging on Hawaii starting Friday to practice hunting for submarines and catching pirates in the world’s largest naval exercises.

The U.S. Pacific Fleet is hosting the Rim of the Pacific exercises, which take place every two years in Hawaii and surrounding waters.

Countries from Japan to Tonga and Russia to Chile are sending 42 surface ships, six submarines and 200 aircraft to participate in the series of drills, which takes place over the next five weeks.

Participants will train to clear mines, dispose of explosives and come to the aid of civilians in natural disasters, among other drills.

Adm. Cecil Haney, the Pacific Fleet commander, said the drills help different nations prepare for emergencies.

“It provides an opportunity for naval forces of like-minded countries to work together so that as things come up, we can more easily assemble and address things like humanitarian assistance, disaster relief,” Haney told The Associated Press during a recent interview at his Pearl Harbor headquarters.

The exercises, known as RIMPAC, date to 1971 but have expanded in recent years. Eight nations took part in 2006, 10 in 2008, and 14 two years ago.

This year’s exercises come as the U.S. refocuses its attention on the Asia-Pacific region.

In January, the Obama administration announced a new defense strategy to boost the country’s presence in Asia because of the region’s economic importance and China’s rise as a military power. It aims to maintain American military pre-eminence worldwide even as the U.S. cuts spending to reduce the nation’s deficit.

As part of that strategy, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta earlier this month told a conference in Singapore the U.S. would assign 60 percent of its fleet to the Pacific Ocean by 2020. Currently, the Navy divides its roughly 285 ships equally between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.

Ralph Cossa, president of the Pacific Forum Center for Strategic & International Studies, a Honolulu-based think tank, said the drills show Panetta and the U.S. Pacific Command — which oversees all American forces in the region — are serious when they say readiness in the Pacific won’t be affected by defense drawdowns.

“What better way to prove that than holding the world’s largest maritime exercise,” Cossa said. “That’s putting your money and your ships where you mouth is.”

One new part of the drills is the use of a cooking oil and algae biofuel blend to power some of the U.S. vessels and aircraft. The Navy is spending $12 million to buy 425,000 gallons of biofuel for the exercises.

It’s part of an effort to demonstrate the Navy can use biofuels to reduce its consumption of fossil fuels. The Navy has been investing heavily in technologies for algae, sugar and other crops so that biofuels will meet half of its fuel needs by 2020.

The exercises end Aug. 3.

US hosts world’s largest naval exercises in Hawaii, with 25,000 sailors from 22 countries - The Washington Post

05navy1.jpg

This year's exercise includes units or personnel from Australia, Canada, Chile, Colombia, France, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Thailand, Tonga, the United Kingdom and the United States.

World's biggest naval exercise underway, India among 22 nations in it - Rediff.com News

Even the american closest buddy Israel is not in the list so whats the fuss about if China and Pakistan are not invited

Even the big guns like germany, Italy, Turkey etc which are part of NATO and has close co-operation with US are not in the list so what can we conclude here that Turkey has a weak navy? or germany is a poor country? or Italy is disliked? lol it takes you just an absence of Pakistani or Chinese name to start the dirty game

Even the american closest buddy Israel is not in the list so whats the fuss about if China and Pakistan are not invited

Even the big guns like germany, Italy, Turkey etc which are part of NATO and has close co-operation with US are not in the list so what can we conclude here that Turkey has a weak navy? or germany is a poor country? or Italy is disliked? lol it takes you just an absence of Pakistani or Chinese name to start the dirty game

ahaaa... Now thats an observation..... :cool:

Who cares?? Pakistan is hardly a sea-going nation nor a martime power so their contribtuin, if invited, would be minimal to non-existent and no China, what did we expect??

Stupid thread, stupid title.

Belongs in Military Forum not World Affairs.

So you are telling me that malaysia, Mexico , New zealand, Indonesia and netherlands are strong navys that can offer so much contribution in the exercise? lol

Didn't you bother to read the article??
This was an Asia Pacific naval exercise. So, Pakistan being excluded is understandable(cause it's strictly a regional navy, centered in the Arabian Sea), but the exclusion of PLAN is surprising and frankly indicative of where the Americans wanted to aim the exercise at.:azn:

oohh.. Quoting wikipedia to prove you have more experience..
Well, as you are new.. You should know that for comparison you need to see both sides..

According to your link the indian navy has been engaged in only 4 naval wars (one of them being pre partition).. :lol:

Well, just check how much experience does the Pakistan Navy has: Pakistan Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:coffee:

Well I thank those people wrote the Indian navy article on Wikipedia. Thank them because they dinn clutter it with all the peace-time operations. Well if you again want to tread the road the fine. Here is a list of operations:

Military Operations
• Exercise PEACE – Junagarh, 1947
• Op VIJAY – Goa, 1961
• Indo-Pak War, 1965
• Indo-Pak War, 1971
• Op PAWAN – Sri Lanka, 1987-1990
• Op TALWAR – Kargil War, 1999

Other Operations
•Op CACTUS – Maldives, 1988
•Ops SHIELD & BOLSTER – Somalia, 1994
•Op RAINBOW – Anti-Piracy, 1999
•Op CASTOR – Tsunami Relief, 2004
•Op RAHAT/MADAD – Bombay High, 2005
•Op SUKOON – Lebanon, 2006
•Op BLOSSOM – Libya, 2011
•Op TRISHUL – Anti-Piracy, 2009 to date

And yes I left out Op TALWAR – Kargil War (1999). So count for yourself.

And for quoting wiki, I donn see why should I do "head scratching research" for you.
I generally follow KISS principle, I hope u know wat it is :undecided:

This was an Asia Pacific naval exercise. So, Pakistan being excluded is understandable(cause it's strictly a regional navy, centered in the Arabian Sea), but the exclusion of PLAN is surprising and frankly indicative of where the Americans wanted to aim the exercise at.:azn:

then from where did UK, France , netherlands and Mexico came from if it was just an asia pacific naval exercise? Now has mexico , France, netherlands and UK are re-located to asia? or the asia region has changed ? Did you bother to read the article?

So you are telling me that malaysia, Mexico , New zealand, Indonesia and netherlands are strong navys that can offer so much contribution in the exercise? lol

Point taken, but of course there is a high degree of politics involved in thes selection and inviting of nations to partiicpate and the aforementioned nations are strong US friends- recent times have shown a split in the US-Pak "friendship" this is what we are seeing here in public terms.

That does not mean the Israelis were not invited. That is bad 'logic'. What if the Israelis declined because the exercise does not fit into their naval doctrine? What the Israelis declined because their ships could not be spared due to inevitable war with Egypt?

oo hellooo... :wave:

If you are trying to cover israel, italy and germany by giving the reason that only Asia-Pacific countries are included then where did Norway, United Kingdom and Netherlands come from???? :azn:

Geography??? :close_tema:

That does not mean the Israelis were not invited. That is bad 'logic'. What if the Israelis declined because the exercise does not fit into their naval doctrine? What the Israelis declined because their ships could not be spared due to inevitable war with Egypt?

By going with same logic does that mean that Pakistan navy was not invited? does the article anywhere mentioned it?

kṣamā;3146227 said:
Well I thank those people wrote the Indian navy article on Wikipedia. Thank them because they dinn clutter it with all the peace-time operations. Well if you again want to tread the road the fine. Here is a list of operations:

Military Operations
• Exercise PEACE – Junagarh, 1947
• Op VIJAY – Goa, 1961
• Indo-Pak War, 1965
• Indo-Pak War, 1971
• Op PAWAN – Sri Lanka, 1987-1990
• Op TALWAR – Kargil War, 1999

Other Operations
•Op CACTUS – Maldives, 1988
•Ops SHIELD & BOLSTER – Somalia, 1994
•Op RAINBOW – Anti-Piracy, 1999
•Op CASTOR – Tsunami Relief, 2004
•Op RAHAT/MADAD – Bombay High, 2005
•Op SUKOON – Lebanon, 2006
•Op BLOSSOM – Libya, 2011
•Op TRISHUL – Anti-Piracy, 2009 to date

And yes I left out Op TALWAR – Kargil War (1999). So count for yourself.

And for quoting wiki, I donn see why should I do "head scratching research" for you.
I generally follow KISS principle, I hope u know wat it is :undecided:

Lolx.. Well you already did a head scratch research for me..
The reason I criticized wiki is because it has unreliable sources and does not cover everything.. So is in Pakistan's case.
But I aint gonna to a research for you because I also have a long list..... :D

By going with same logic does that mean that Pakistan navy was not invited? does the article anywhere mentioned it?
Yes you can. But are our relationships with Pakistan and China the same as with Israel?

Pak might have refused because of India.

China must have refused due to Japan.

North Korea must have..well...might be banned by US and China together.

Iran must have declined due to tension.

Israel must have declined to keep Iran busy.

You think South Pole or North Pole should belong to certain countries???

How about the moon? If China get their first, can China now claim every part of the moon is hers???

BTW, we China are just so afraid of your naval exercises and so deeply disappointed that we are not invited. :)

Well, why don't USA ask those countries who participate the naval exercises to pay for its IRAQ and Afghanistan war bill, and send troops there as well? Let's see how many will follow and participate again. :)

I don't know why Pakistanis can't see that it is China who created this chaos in Pasific... Hell, they even claim parts of north pole...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom