What's new

World’s longest periscope developed for Fast Breeder Reactor

Good News.
If I'm correct France and India are the only countries working on FBR.
Why don't we make FBR and PWR nearby...FBR will give Uranium to PWR .... No need for radioactive containers/wagons for transport Uranium to PWR..and ..good bye Australia..

Good News.
If I'm correct France and India are the only countries working on FBR.
Why don't we make FBR and PWR nearby...FBR will give Uranium to PWR .... No need for radioactive containers/wagons for transport Uranium to PWR..and ..good bye Australia..

I think future nuclear parks will be like that. Every park will have three types of reactors. The main advantage is these reactors fuel will be natural U and Th.

3stage.jpg

The thing about FBR's is that it produces weapons grade plutonium. Its the reason why a transfer of technology is not at all possible. This would be the last technology any nation would be willing to part with.

Are you proposing a terrorist attack there? This is too bad mentality! :hitwall: Support of extremism does fuel it.

India's Fast Breeder Nuclear Reactor core vessel being transported & lowered into Safety vessel

pakistan has nothing to worry about these thorium reactors as these reactors produce very little amounts of plutonium and weapons grade uranium.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

The thing about FBR's is that it produces weapons grade plutonium. Its the reason why a transfer of technology is not at all possible. This would be the last technology any nation would be willing to part with.

but the amounts are little and will take years to produce enough for a small nuke

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^ and thats the reason why India is going solo and is very comitted to achive this tech. And be self sufficient.

pakistan has nothing to worry about these thorium reactors as these reactors produce very little amounts of plutonium and weapons grade uranium.

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

but the amounts are little and will take years to produce enough for a small nuke

That is total misconception. The main difference between FBR and other reactor is it generates more fuel that it takes. Also the civilian nuclear programme is not related to weapon building. But I think FBR fall under military reactors. A 40 MW test FBR developed by India running last 26 years.

A breeder reactor is a nuclear reactor that generates more fissile material in fuel than it consumes.
Breeder reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fast neutrons are ideal for plutonium production because they are easily absorbed by U238 to create Pu239, and they cause less fission than thermal neutrons. Some fast breeder reactors can generate up to 30 percent more fuel than they use. Creating extra fuel in nuclear reactors, however, is not without its concerns: One is that the plutonium produced can be removed and used in nuclear weapons.
How do fast breeder reactors differ from regular nuclear power plants?: Scientific American

the reactor india built is thorium FBR.
It converts non fissile thorium to fiseile uranium..
the FBR you are referring to are another type...
india has allegedly large rserves of thorium .. so thorium--uranium FBR fits the bill.
but the uranium produces is not weapons grade.

Dude actually it does.

In FBR....

Thorium + Plutonium -----(FBR)----->>> Uranium-233 + Plutonium

So it actually converts Th into U-233 which is the fuel for all Uranium based nuclear weapons. It is upto govt for what they want to use it.

What about molten salt reactors what kind of fuel they would use ??
I think they come in th 4th stage of the Nuclear program.
Thorium based are 3rd If I am not wrong we need to speed up FBR stage to hit the 3rd stage in time.

Thorium based are 3rd If I am not wrong we need to speed up FBR stage to hit the 3rd stage in time.

molten salt is a way of storing heat...it has nothing to do with type of fuel in the reactor......or so i think.

india has allegedly large rserves of thorium .. so thorium--uranium FBR fits the bill.

All FBRs use plutonium as fuel.
Thorium is just the additive/raw material which goes into the reactor and comes out as Uranium-233.
Thorium reactors are important as there is plenty of it available on Kerala sandy beaches..... and it is enough top take care of the whole power requirement of India for about 200-300 years.
Uranium used for power generation are never weapon grade otherwise the reactor would blast off.
India hardly uses Uranium for its Nuclear bomb now only plutonium and tritium is used.

molten salt is a way of storing heat...it has nothing to do with type of fuel in the reactor......or so i think.

Never did I say that molten salt would be the fuel..... it would be used at coolant at 700degree Celsius temperature...... I asked Kinetic the fuel used for such reactors.

There is Always a space for innovative techniques and inventions:chilli::meeting::enjoy:

And so you would like to believe....

Dude it's not alleged. India has almost 28% of world's proven thorium reserves. And If you want to consider only the isotope of Thorium which can be used in FBRs then it is ~60% of world's reserves. Along with INDIA, Australia has large reserves of useful isotope of Thorium.

Well there is no standard way of going about constructing a Breeder reactor. Different countries are working on their own designs. The ones on which US/EU countries are working, the salts used for heat extraction also pollutes the fuel to the extent that it can't be used for weapons.

All FBRs use plutonium as fuel.
Thorium is just the additive/raw material which goes into the reactor and comes out as Uranium-233.
Thorium reactors are important as there is plenty of it available on Kerala sandy beaches..... and it is enough top take care of the whole power requirement of India for about 200-300 years.
Uranium used for power generation are never weapon grade otherwise the reactor would blast off.
India hardly uses Uranium for its Nuclear bomb now only plutonium and tritium is used.

That uranium can be used for generating weapon grade plutonium.

Here every one is making a mistake.This PFBR is not going to use Th.The reactor core will be built with reactor grade Pu(65% enriched with Pu 239)obtained from the spent fuel of the pressurised heavy water reactors.While the blankets around the core(both radial and axial)will be built from U 238 which will take a neutron and will be converted into Pu 239.This will be weapon grade Pu(95% enriched with Pu239).Then this Pu will be used to set up new reactors.According to Alexander Glacer and MV Ramana the Kalpakkam facility if run with a modest 70% efficacy can produce upto 150 kg of weapons grade Pu per year.That's why India did not allow the FBRs to international safeguards.There are plans to construct a total of 6 FBRs of 500 mW capacity by 2022 before moving to larger 1000 mW FBRs. urised heavy water reactors.While the blankets around the core(both radial and axial)will be built from U 238 which will take a neutron and will be converted into Pu 239.This will be weapon grade Pu(95% enriched with Pu239).Then this Pu will be used to set up new reactors.According to Alexander Glacer and MV Ramana the Kalpakkam facility if run with a modest 70% efficacy can produce upto 150 kg of weapons grade Pu per year.That's why India did not allow the FBRs to international safeguards.There are plans to construct a total of 6 FBRs of 500 mW capacity by 2022 before moving to larger 1000 mW FBRs.

+ 1.

The FBR design on which India is working keeps the internal fuel almost pure. Although our scientists are putting a lot of efforts, the design is not as secure as the western/chinese designs. Thats why they are still called the prototype reactors. But the designs which India is working on, can produce enough fuel for producing 1-2 nuclear bomb per year per 700MWe reactor installed.
^^
This has always been the vision of Atomic Energy Council of India when it was founded that one day India will be able to design reactors capable of using thorium. India with virtually limitless source of Th can power its growth for the coming couple of 100 years.

Back
Top Bottom