What's new

World's second-tallest building under construction in Mecca

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

DUBAI: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 : An under-construction hotel complex in Saudi Arabia will feature the world's second-tallest building, topped by a clock six times bigger than London's Big Ben, the hotel's general manager said Tuesday.

The Mecca Royal Clock Tower will be made up of 662 metres (2,171 feet) of concrete structure and a 155-metre (508-foot) crecent-topped metal spire, Mohammed al-Arkubi said at a press conference in Dubai.

Combined, the two parts of the tower in the Muslim holy city of Mecca would be only roughly 11 metres (36 feet) shorter than Dubai's Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest tower at 828 metres (2,717 feet).

Even the concrete section of the Mecca Royal Clock Tower would be taller than the current second-tallest building in the world, the 508-meter (1,676-foot) Taipei 101 in Taiwan.

"The first part of the hotel will open at the end of June, while the clock will begin operating at the end of July," ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which is expected to begin around August 10, Arkubi said.

The German-made clock, billed as "the largest in the world," will have 45-metre (147-foot) wide and 43-metre (141-foot) tall faces on all four sides of the tower, he said.

He added that it will be visible from 17 kilometres (10 miles) away at night and 11 to 12 kilometres (six to seven miles) away during the day.

"Putting Mecca time in the face of Greenwich Mean Time, this is the goal," Arkubi said.

He said the three-billion-dollar, seven-tower complex of hotels, called Abraj al-Bayt Towers, will contain 3,000 rooms and suites, the majority of which will overlook the Grand Mosque, which Muslims face for daily prayers.

The complex is being constructed by the Bin Laden Group, a giant real estate firm, on behalf of the Saudi government, he said.

The complex will be managed by Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and its revenue will be placed in a "waqf," or Islamic trust, devoted to the development and maintenance of Muslim holy sites, Arkubi said.

:smitten:

Yeah i can remember the future map of Makkah - Found it (i think)

10wpt8y.jpg

They are probably talking about this building (not sure)

post-1286-1214759047.jpg

Well i am stictly against this plan. They have erected so tall buildings all around Ka'ba and a lot more buildings under construction. I understand they need rooms to accomodate pilgrims but it was a better idea if they had built these buildings little far from Haram like in Al-Aziziya (no worries/objection but you feel weird when you enter Haram Shareef which is covered with tall buildings. It keep moving your attention from Haram into those tall buildings sorrounding you

Please instead feed the people on the south from a continent called Africa, they are very hungry and I really believe such buildings do not hold much meaning especially in a place like Mecca.

10wpt8y.jpg

post-1286-1214759047.jpg

Well i am stictly against this plan. They have erected so tall buildings all around Ka'ba and a lot more buildings under construction. I understand they need rooms to accomodate pilgrims but it was a better idea if they had built these buildings little far from Haram like in Al-Aziziya (no worries/objection but you feel weird when you enter Haram Shareef which is covered with tall buildings. It keep moving your attention from Haram into those tall buildings sorrounding you

Wow the building is really really mind blowing.:cheers: hope to see it soon.
It would be a good thing for pilgrims too.

10wpt8y.jpg

post-1286-1214759047.jpg

Your point is genuine Zaki.

Not only that, in the process these Saudis (Wahabis) destroyed a rich set of historical buildings dispersed around Masjid-e-Haram. They are actually ruining the entire city.

I also met people from Madinah and they too complain the same issue. In making more space for Masjid-e-Nabwi, they disturbed several thousand families from around the Masjid-e-Nabwi.

It is actually nothing but the game of big builders, many Arabs have told me.

Fighter

Hi people the Saudi GOVT is trying to accomodate as much Hujaj as possible in this proposed complex duing the period of Hajj and round the year.

This is going to be the masterpiece and i hope none of the Holy sites are being demolished .

But what about those earthquakes that are prophecised to hit Mekkah?

They could have at least made it farther away...

Tower of babel!
Perhaps tourism would be a good option after oil runs out

regards

This is ridiculous, this is a holy site for all Muslims and they're building "royal towers" just look at the pictures, it's ruining the site, especially which such NYC-esque designs".

With that much money, think of how many poor people in the world they could feed, or how many Muslims, Arabs or poor Saudis even.

But what about those earthquakes that are prophecised to hit Mekkah?

They could have at least made it farther away...

You got a point here. Since they know about all these Hadiths about earthquakes in the last age and since theres one prophesied one to hit Mecca, they went for this tall building specifically for this purpose and that is too, very near to Mecca.

In the famous Hadith of Jibril (A.S) which we often hear, what we don't usually know is that in the same hadith the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) actually prophesied about the appearance of tall buildings at the end of time.

See the full hadith below:

Umar ibn Khattab (Allah be well pleased with him) said: "As we were sitting one day before the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him), a man suddenly appeared. He wore pure white clothes and his hair was dark black—yet there were no signs of travel on him, and none of us knew him. He came and sat down in front of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), placing his knees against his, and his hands on his thighs. He said, "O Muhammad! Tell me about Islam."

The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) replied, "Islam is to bear witness that there is no god but God and that Muhammad is the Messenger of God; and to perform the prayer; pay zakat; fast Ramadan; and to perform Hajj to the House if you are able."

The man said, "You have spoken the truth," and we were surprised that he asked and then confirmed the answer. Then, he asked, "Tell me about belief (iman)."

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) replied, "It is to believe in Allah; His Angels; His Books; His Messengers; the Last Day; and in destiny—its good and bad."

The man said, "You have spoken the truth. Now, tell me about spiritual excellence (ihsan)."

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) replied, "It is to serve Allah as though you behold Him; and if you don't behold him, (know that) He surely sees you."

"Now, tell me of the Last Hour," asked the man.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) replied, "The one asked knows no more of it than the one asking."

"Then tell me about its signs," said the man.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) replied, "That slave women give birth to their mistresses; and that you see barefoot, unclothed, beginning shepherds competing in the construction of tall buildings."

Then the visitor left, and I waited a long time. Then the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) asked me, "Do you know, Umar, who the questioner was?" I replied, "Allah and His Messenger know best."He said (Allah bless him and give him peace), "It was Jibril (A.S). He came to you to teach you your religion." [Sahih Muslim]

---------------------------

I thought it was interesting to read some of the prophecies of our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) in relation to the construction of huge buildings. He (PBUH) mentioned some interesting things some 1400 years ago. Read on…

Among the signs of the Hour mentioned by the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) - in Sahih al-Bukhari is "when the destitute (al-buhm) camelherds compete in building tall structures." Another version in al-Bukhari has: "when the barefoot and the naked are the top leaders (lit. "heads") of the people." In Sahih Muslim: "you shall see the barefoot, naked, indigent (al-`âla) shepherds compete in building tall structures." Another version in Muslim states: "when the naked and barefoot are the top leaders of the people." A third version in Muslim has: "when you see that the barefoot and naked, the deaf and dumb are the kings of the earth."

but we do need to think and ponder, everything appears/happens for a reason but only Allah swt knows the best.

Cool buildings? yes
needed? absolutely not
I don't know about you guys, but the holiest place in our religion shouldn't be commercialized like that!

and thank you Astanoshkhan, I was just about to mention the same Hadith. If I was one of those people, knowing the state of the Ummah and the nearing of the hour (wallahu-a'alam) I would be a little bit more humble. Especially when the Hadith is so clear :) I'm sure some of these rulers recognize themselves in it.

While I am all for development and building of symbolic monuments but as a whole the "tall building" fever is hugely impinging on the sustainability aspecst of the architecture in our modern day soceity. The carbon footprint and the relative "cradle to grave" scenario for such tall monuments is severely disadvantageous when compared to the relative yield per meter of habitable space for other optimized elevation + lateral spread development projects.

Have a Break guys , this is Madinat'ul Hujaj complex and you would be living here for 40 days at some stage of your life instead of living in a tent.

This architecture is incredible & yes it was long needed.

Back
Top Bottom