What's new

World's worst tourists? Americans say ... Americans

Sugarcane

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Could there be something to that ugly American stereotype?

A new LivingSocial survey conducted among more than 5,600 respondents in five countries by Mandala Research finds that Americans self-rate themselves as the world’s worst tourists.

That assessment was shared by Canadians and Australians, while the Irish rated their British neighbors as the worst, and the British identified Germans as being the most boorish.

Following Americans (20 percent), 15 percent of U.S. respondents said the Chinese were the worst tourists, followed by the French (14 percent), Japanese (12 percent) and Russians (11 percent).

In addition to bestowing that dubious distinction upon their fellow Americans, four out of 10 U.S. respondents admit to having stolen or accidentally packed items other than the sample toiletries from hotels, with towels (28 percent) listed as one of the most frequently pilfered items.

The results of the online survey, conducted in the U.S. in February in the top 20 media markets and released Friday, has a margin of error of 1.5 percent.

Despite a common misperception that Americans don’t go abroad, the results show that we actually do get around , said Maire Griffin, director of communications for LivingSocial.

“We found that 78 percent of Americans have visited at least one other foreign country, and 36 percent have traveled to four or more foreign destinations,” Griffin told msnbc.com.

But Americans may not be such bad tourists after all, just more forthright about our flaws, said Michael Brein, a guidebook writer and self-billed travel psychologist.

“We tend to see being frank, open, honest — spilling our guts — more of a virtue than others may see it,” Brein said.

In contrast, citizens from some other countries might view those traits as a weakness, said Brein, who has a doctorate degree in social psychology. “Therefore, as a culture, we may be more self-deprecating,” he said.

For many years, America was the big kid on the block and was more socially and culturally isolated from other people around the world, Brein said. But in an increasingly globalized culture, he believes Americans are doing their part to blend in.

Of course, Brein stresses, it depends upon the individual.

“We’re a huge nation with all kinds of people traveling,” he said. “I have met many kinds of Americans who do not fit that [ugly American] stereotype at all.”

Griffin said that some of Americans’ favorite travel activities — such as taking photos, eating in new restaurants and meeting new people — lend to learning more about other cultures.

“That adventurous spirit and making new friends leads us into a place we can be better tourists,” she said.

Travel Kit - World's worst tourists? Americans say ... Americans

Brits are not much better..They are the most drunken tourists abroad

That's weird. I see a lot of Americans (a lot for my state that is) visiting here and they're pretty laid back and calm people. Its true that their way of having fun is different from ours, but they're not hostile or snobbish. They come here, have all the fun (trekking, visiting monasteries or drinking till they drop..:P) and leave after tons of shopping.

I heard in India, Israeli backpackers have the worst attitude problem...but most of them are ex-soldiers who have finished their mandatory military service.

I heard in India, Israeli backpackers have the worst attitude problem...but most of them are ex-soldiers who have finished their mandatory military service.

I had read an article able that, not sure whether this one.
They just don?t care: Israeli Backpackers in India - Israel Travel, Ynetnews

'At the same time of the embassy's call, two articles were published in the Indian press that included a quotation from an Israeli backpacker in Manali: “They (the Indians) are dirty and primitive, but unexpectedly, they serve us well, like the Arabs in the territories did before they decided to raise a hand against us.” This is apparently the way Israelis see the other, which brings us to the second question.'

I had read an article able that, not sure whether this one.
They just don?t care: Israeli Backpackers in India - Israel Travel, Ynetnews

'At the same time of the embassy's call, two articles were published in the Indian press that included a quotation from an Israeli backpacker in Manali: “They (the Indians) are dirty and primitive, but unexpectedly, they serve us well, like the Arabs in the territories did before they decided to raise a hand against us.” This is apparently the way Israelis see the other, which brings us to the second question.'

You left out this part of article

But it isn’t only Israelis who feel these things. These same feelings of superiority are also common among many western visitors to India. In the meeting of eastern and western culture the white man still thinks that he is better, 60 years after the eradication of colonialism in India. Many Israelis are simply more direct and a lot less polite.

Israelis just don't hide behind the fake politeness.

i laugh at you pakistanis why are you soo wierd .nobody visits your country (unless he is a army personnel or diplomat) what you know about them
wanna bet on that? p.s this thread had nothing to do with us, thanks for proving that you are addicted to pakistanis :kiss3: and :welcome: to :pdf:

i laugh at you pakistanis why are you soo wierd .nobody visits your country (unless he is a army personnel or diplomat) what you know about them

We are laughing at you....

Your Taj Mahal (one of the 7 wonders of world) was designed by a Pakistani Punjabi Architect named Ustad Ahmad Lahauri :rofl:

Most of your heritage was built by Bhuddists from Nepal, British, Mughals, and other Muslims....

Your Taj Mahal (one of the 7 wonders of world) was designed by a Pakistani Punjabi Architect named Ustad Ahmad Lahauri :rofl:

Most of your heritage was built by Mughals, and other Muslims....

You know very little of our heritage so stop with your bullshit.It begins 3000 yrs ago and not 1000 yrs ago with coming of some desert rats.

You are new, So i will :welcome: you on :pdf: this time, Leave your intelligence at the door and you'll fit right in

Most of your heritage was built by Bhuddists from Nepal, British, Mughals, and other Muslims....

He was a Persian from Badakhshan.

As for the last point, pls do a little googling.

He was a Persian from Badakhshan.

As for the last point, pls do a little googling.

let them live in thr fool's paradise.. after all this is the only thing they can get some comfort when you see situation in thr country... :)

Back
Top Bottom