BATMAN

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
‘Worst is over’ for Musharraf, says India

http://www.dawn.com/2007/07/30/top5.htm

By Jawed Naqvi

NEW DELHI, July 29: President Gen Pervez Musharraf has overcome a major domestic crisis and India finds in him a credible interlocutor for peace talks that are on course, though a bit slow, India’s National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan has said.

In an interview shown on Sunday, Mr Naryanan told CNBC TV channel that there had been no ‘major dent’ in Gen Mushsrraf’s influence as he had managed to ‘rectify’ the situation by accepting ‘with grace’ the reinstatement of Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry.

Mr Narayanan said he believed Gen Musharraf would be President of Pakistan in January 2008 although he was less sure whether he would also be the army chief. He also discounted the possibility of a major upheaval in Pakistan, observing that terror was a threat to personalities, not to the regime. “These days terrorist incidents have become common across the globe and I don’t think terrorist incidents create a major upheaval.”

The “worst is over” for Gen Musharraf as he has won international acclaim for his handling of the Lal Masjid crisis. “Hardly any of the clerics have backed the Lal Masjid duo. Even the jihadis, except for a small fringe, have not come out (against Musharraf). To that extent President Musharraf can sit back and feel the worst is over ... I think the terror is a threat to personalities but I don’t know whether it is a threat to the regime,” Mr Narayanan said.

Mr Narayanan said he also believed that Gen Musharraf would not declare an emergency and would prefer to be elected by the present assemblies.

‘'India could do business with him. We have no doubts on that. Having said that, if President Musharraf is succeeded by X or Y we are prepared to (do) business with him,” he added.

“I personally don’t think that there has been a major dent in President Musharraf’s influence,” Mr Narayanan said in his assessment

of the Pakistani leader’s hold on power in the wake of the Supreme Court verdict, the Lal Masjid crisis, a spate of terrorist attacks and moves by opposition parties to come together.

He said the peace process with Pakistan had neither been stalled nor kept in abeyance. “There is some progress… Progress has always been slow, it’s incremental but it has not stopped... We could always argue it could go faster,” he said.

Mr Narayanan also spoke about Al Qaeda’s threat in India but denied that the attempted bombing in Glasgow indicated any link with Indian Muslims in a wider sense.

“My impression is there is no Indian Muslim in one of these camps. Sometimes an odd individual might be instigated to do something... I think the Indian Muslim is far more integrated than the immigrant Muslim in UK or elsewhere,” Mr Narayanan said.
Al Qaeda, he said, was looking for more recruits across the globe and would like to “punch a hole” as far as the Indian Muslim community was concerned. “We know that on a couple of occasions they have done a recce and gone back. They have not yet done something,” he said.

About concerns expressed by Indian Army Chief Gen J.J. Singh on cross-border infiltration, he said there was a spurt in April. “It has come down appreciably.”

“I think the number (of jihadi units coming) by sea or by Bangladesh and Nepal are in some ways bigger than what happens across the LoC from time to time,” he said.

On whether the anti-terror mechanism, which has only met once in March this year, was a non-starter, Mr Narayanan said he expected useful progress at the second or third meeting. “When we decided to set it up, we were quite sure it wasn’t going to get off to a galloping start. The start has been slow, but I think the sort of volatility we are now seeing in Pakistan will encourage them (to cooperate).”

I told you, he is the best thing that happened to us.

I told you, he is the best thing that happened to us.

Yeah whatever my friend...:rofl:

Right around the time of Kargil, he was the most despicable Pakistani to have come across in the eyes of the Indians...why the sudden change of heart may I ask?? :what:

Well, thats one surprising report! Why the change of heart in Delhi??? :confused:

Right around the time of Kargil, he was the most despicable Pakistani to have come across in the eyes of the Indians...why the sudden change of heart may I ask?? :what:

Maybe Musharraf saw the error of his ways?

We are forgiving people, you know.:angel:

Well, thats one surprising report! Why the change of heart in Delhi??? :confused:

Because he ditched the terrorist scum he was supporting so long and started mending his ways after the war on terror began ??:smokin:

Because he ditched the terrorist scum he was supporting so long and started mending his ways after the war on terror began ??:smokin:

when will India stop sponsoring terrorism in Kashmir?

We're yet to start. :lol:

Right now all we're doing is killing the jihadis coming across trying to wreak havoc on an average Kashmiri's life.

If you have a Indian tourist visa you can visit the area's as well.

Thats speaks a lot about him doesnt it...lol

We started once, and 1971 happened. Right now sponsering terrorism in Pakistan is aganist our national goals, and we need musharraf at the helm. Azad Kashmir is no more of a concern to us, we dont care about the pathetic condition of the people, the complete lack of freedom over there.

Simply put we havent started, but we do have the requisite experiences and gear needed for it(5 consulates in Afghanistan and a chunk of money and even funny pakistani ruppees)

You tell me. What has changed with Musharraf since then?

Simply put we havent started, but we do have the requisite experiences and gear needed for it(5 consulates in Afghanistan and a chunk of money and even funny pakistani ruppees)
You speak as if you personally went over to Afghan land and setup the consulates.. tch tch

Now there will be peace in Pakistan.

You can't beat Musharraf at the game!

Signalling an end to his confrontation with the judiciary, Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf has given judges a 25 per cent hike in salaries effective July 1. The hike order, issued on Friday, comes on the heels of his statement a day earlier that he wanted a "harmonious" relationship with the judiciary.

The country's chief justice, Iftikhar Mohammed Chaudhry, whom he had suspended on March 9 triggering a nationwide protest, will now get Rs 133,250 per month. The Supreme Court reinstated Chaudhry on July 20 after passing severe strictures against the government. The salary of other Supreme Court judges has been pegged at Rs 125,875 per month.

The high court judges have benefited equally. The salary of the chief justice of a high court is now Rs 123,500 and high court judges will get Rs 118,750 per month. Last year, judges of the superior courts got a 15 per cent raise, Dawn said on Saturday.

In 2005, the salary of the Chief Justice of Pakistan had been fixed at Rs 92,700 per month and of judges of the Supreme Court at Rs 87,600. The chief justice of a high court was entitled to Rs 85,900 and other judges got Rs 82,600 per month. Apart from salary, a judge of the Supreme Court is entitled to free residence, utility bills, an officially maintained car, a cook, a driver and a guard at his residence.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/Story...adline=Pak+judges+get+25+per+cent+salary+hike

The worst is over for Musharraf and he can breathe easy.

That is how you buy off the judiciary, and that in the open..lol

I look at it differently.

Mushrraf must have done a reality check on the lawyers and the Judges and realised where they stand and their integrity. Hence, he has thrown them the bone, which they have readily taken. Note not a chirp from them.

BB will be the PM as per the deal. But at an opportune moment, thorough a proxy, Mushrraf will unseat her through the pliant Judiciary.

The CJ, to my mind, is not that much of an upright man as he is being made out to be. He has political ambition and he is a political tool of the Opposition. Have a look at his eyes. Shifty and nearly hooded! I am sure the charges of nepotism and misuse of office are true!

Back
Top Bottom