What's new

Xi Jinping appointed vice-chairman of Central Military Commission

The designation of Mr. Xi Jinping as the next President of China seems to be a continuation of current CCP policies. According to the Wall Street Journal article below, Mr. Xi is a moderate and cautious man, who is loyal to the party.

Premier Wen Jiabao is correct in saying that the Chinese people deserve the right to speak freely. However, the Chinese people already have the right to freely discuss economic and scientific ideas. It is the right to freely criticize or destabilize the CCP government that is curtailed. In the long run (e.g. in forty years), I agree that Premier Wen Jiabao is correct that the Chinese people should also have the right to free public discourse on political issues.

However, we have seen the decade(s) of damage that Russia suffered under the sudden shift to Glastnost and Pereistroika. China must not heed Premier Wen Jiabao's call at this time and repeat the grave Russian mistakes.

Democracy takes time to build. America declared independence in 1776. It was not until 1920 (e.g. 144 years later) that women were granted the right to vote "with the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, which provided: 'The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of ***.'"

Analogous to the successful and incremental economic reforms, China should implement political reforms slowly and incrementally. With regards to political reforms, China should listen to Deng Xiaoping's maxim. "DENG Xiaoping said crossing the river by feeling the stones. '摸着石头过河 (mōzhe shítou guòhé)。'”

China Puts Xi on Track to Lead - WSJ.com

"China Anoints Its Next Leader
October 17, 2010
By Jeremy Page

chinahuandxijinpingwoad.jpg

Chinese President Hu Jintao, left, talks with Xi Jinping after the closing ceremony of the National People's Congress in March 2009.
Mr. Xi has maintained a low public profile, though on a visit to Mexico last year he openly mocked foreign attitudes toward China.

"Some foreigners with full bellies and nothing better to do engage in finger-pointing at us," he said. "First, China does not export revolution; second, it does not export famine and poverty; and third, it does not mess around with you. So what else is there to say?"
Senior U.S. officials said they viewed Mr. Xi as a moderate who is well briefed on the U.S.-China relationship. They said that like many of China's senior leaders, he was difficult to read, though they said he appeared very engaged on key economic and strategic issues involving China and the world.
His promotion now clearly marks him out as the pre-eminent member of a new generation of leaders. Unlike the present generation, who are mostly engineers and scientists, the new crop have relatively diverse academic backgrounds, including social scientists, lawyers and a historian.
But his generation of leaders also has had greater exposure to Western ideas than its predecessors did.

Attention is now focused on who will replace the seven of nine members of the Standing Committee who are due to retire at the next Party Congress in 2012.

The question has been building in importance as the party has been caught up in an intense and unusually public debate about its future ever since Mr. Wen—who is 68 and one of those due to retire in 2012—made a surprise appeal for political reform in August.

Mr. Wen is widely expected to be succeeded by current Vice Premier Li Keqiang, who was once seen as another potential candidate for the top spot.

Some leaders are thought to favor limited internal reforms to make the authoritarian government more responsive to the needs of an increasingly complex society, while others fear that any such moves could unleash social unrest and eventually topple the party.

What is clear from Mr. Xi's biography is that he has always remained loyal to the Party....
Mr. Hormats added that Mr. Xi "stressed China's 'going-global' strategy and noted that China is now in a new phase of reform and opening-up."
A communique published by the state-run Xinhua news agency also pledged to make "vigorous yet steady efforts to promote political restructuring," but gave no details about what that would entail or how fast it would progress.

—Jay Solomon contributed to this article.

Write to Jeremy Page at jeremy.page@wsj.com"

Last edited:
Premier Wen Jiabao is correct in saying that the Chinese people deserve the right to speak freely. However, the Chinese people already have the right to freely discuss economic and scientific ideas. It is the right to freely criticize or destabilize the CCP government that is curtailed. In the long run (e.g. in forty years), I agree that Premier Wen Jiabao is correct that the Chinese people should also have the right to free public discourse on political issues.

However, we have seen the decade(s) of damage that Russia suffered under the sudden shift to Glastnost and Pereistroika. China must not heed Permier Wen Jiabao's call at this time and repeat the grave Russian mistakes.

Wen Jiabao's concern is the lesson he learnt from the example of Singapore. He does not want China to end up like it.

Emigration in Singapore

A recent survey of teenagers said 53% would want to move abroad if they had the chance.

There is hardly a middle class family that does not know someone who has emigrated.

One blogger wrote recently: “I have had friends leaving Singapore over the years but last week was the first time I had to say farewell to two who are going off for good – one for New Zealand, the other for Australia.”

Some Malaysians are puzzled by this phenomenon. “Singapore is one of the most competitive economies in the world and it strives constantly to be a great global city with gleaming towers ...,” one said.

“It is a great city to work in and is attracting expatriates from all over the globe,” he said.

Yet many of its own youths are abandoning it.

Wen Jiabao is to be commended for recognising this. But I think it is still too damn early for political reforms. And even then, why a democracy? The elements of a republic is what needs to be strengthened.

Look at Japan, they voted for a particular mandate and it got thwarted and now they got militarist types running the show. That's democracy at work. Vote Obama and later he turns around and say to Americans, why are you so obsessed about pulling out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sun Yat Sen sought to establish a Republic in place of a Monarchy. Even Mao understood the difference between a democracy and a republic and named the new nation, The People's REPUBLIC of China. His destiny was to preserve China as a single whole but to choose the communist economic principles as it looked more egalitarian. Deng learnt from Mao's choice and voila, the Dragon rises again. Even the Kuomingtang names Taiwan as REPUBLIC of China. A republic does not need to be a UK or "US style" democracy (US system was designed to thwart democratic tendencies but in the end the US republic was still lost).

Establishing one man one vote in China will not solve China's problem of local corruption.

^^^China will have to give more rights to it's people eventually as it modernise and become richer. Can't be like singapore where once people get wealthy they pack off to somewhere else.

Unlike the present generation, who are mostly engineers and scientists, the new crop have relatively diverse academic backgrounds, including social scientists, lawyers and a historian.

hmm, that doesn't bode too well in my opinion. if there is anyone i'd like to have full executive power, it'd have to be an engineer / scientist and not a lawyer / historian.

the problem with democracy is that it elects too many low IQ smooth talkers/ people with connections into office. (george bush e.g.)

hmm, that doesn't bode too well in my opinion. if there is anyone i'd like to have full executive power, it'd have to be an engineer / scientist and not a lawyer / historian.

the problem with democracy is that it elects too many low IQ smooth talkers/ people with connections into office. (george bush e.g.)

Good thing he holds a degree in Chemical engineering too ;)

^^^ Lol maybe we should have people with multiple/conjoint degrees in power! But only the good ones.

Good thing he holds a degree in Chemical engineering too ;)

Mahatiar Mohamad was a doctor. Will be recorded in history as one of the legendary statesman of the last century. And soon most of the developing countries will be Mahatiarians (capital control) to handle the US Fed.

As long as there is common sense, its ok. A historian will also be good. Vicarious learning. Take Niall Ferguson for instance. Or even a sociologist like Giovanni Arrighi.
Giovanni Arrighi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amazon.com: Adam Smith in Beijing: Lineages of the Twenty-First Century (9781844671045): Giovanni Arrighi: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

He doesn't look as good as Li Keqiang. Li should have been the new "face" of China. No offense to Mr. Xi but I wish our leaders look more serious. I was hoping for Bo Xilai. Looks like a movie star, cracks down on crime, tough on corruption, talks straight and sends text messages.

Come on. I thought 'disadvantaged uglies' has always been an argument used against electoral democracy.

'And clenching your fist for the ones like us
who are oppressed by the figures of beauty'

Oh, as for Bo Xilai, I imagine if he somehow gets the presidency, photos of Mr.Bo Jr. will become front page material

121eafb900ag215.jpg

Back
Top Bottom