What's new

Zardari to relinquish key powers: Report

afriend

Reaction score
Zardari to relinquish key powers: Report
Zardari to relinquish key powers: Report: Rediff.com news
In a significant move, Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari [Images] has agreed to relinquish some key powers like appointment of the army chief and dissolution of Parliament, a British newspaper has claimed.
Zardari has decided to give up the key powers to adjust the balance of power with Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani [Images], The Daily Telegraph reported.

Pakistan's political parties have also reached a basic consensus on the move, which they claim will bolster Pakistan's democratic constitution, which has been heavily altered by the country's successive military rulers.

"President Zardari said categorically that he will give up those powers as per the wishes of his party and the Parliament," presidential spokesman and member of the ruling Pakistan's People Party Farhatullah Babar was quoted as saying.

A 28-member all-party committee was created last week to agree on the 'modalities' on how to amend the constitution. Zardari has also promised to honour his pledge to cede the power to appoint provincial governors as well as impose governor's rule, the report said.

In fact, Zardari also wants to restore Pakistan's constitution as it was made in 1973, several years before the late military dictator, General Zia- al-Haq, toppled the Pakistan People's Party-led government, which was led by Zulfiqar Bhutto.

This will involve undoing dozens of changes introduced by successive civilian and military rulers who butchered the constitution to consolidate their grip on power.

"Parties may emphasise different aspects which may make reaching a consensus difficult. We hope there will be no delay. We have taken the lead on the issue," Babar was quoted as saying.

I think he has taken some very good steps after that Iftikar chaudhry issue..!!

17th Amendment, 58(2b) to go as per CoD: Gilani
* PM says Benazir was also committed to restoring constitution to its original form
* Says he believes in a strong federation

By Irfan Ghauri

ISLAMABAD: The 17th Amendment and 58(2b) will also be abolished in accordance with the Charter of Democracy (CoD), Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Tuesday.

Talking to reporters at the Prime Minister’s House, Gilani said, “I want to restore the constitution to its original form. There should be no ambiguity in this regard when the PPP Central Executive Committee has unanimously supported the abolition of 58(2b) and the 17th Amendment.” In his two addresses to the joint sittings of parliament, President Asif Zardari had not only asked the government to amend the constitution, but had also written him a letter to expedite the process, the premier said.

Committed: He said, “The chair I am sitting in is the chair of PPP founder Zulfikar Ali Bhutto. It is in the manifesto of the PPP and Benazir Bhutto was also committed to restoring the constitution to its original form.”

Strong federation: To a question on the proposed Seraiki province, he said he belonged to a Seraiki-speaking region, but he and his party believed in a strong federation. To another question about Balochistan’s problems, he said a committee led by Senator Raza Rabbani was working on the province’s issues.

He said he had convened a meeting of all chief ministers today (Wednesday). The local government system, a new education policy, madrassa reforms, the NFC award, upcoming census will be among the issues discussed in the meeting.

Gilani said the Benazir Income Support Programme was being expanded to provide relief to the poor. Under the scheme, relief will be provided in gas and electricity tariffs along with health insurance for the poor, he said, adding that the government was looking into the prospect of beginning housing projects on public-private partnership basis. Gilani said the government was considering starting a free food programme, Dastarkhwan, in urban areas, he informed.

He disputed that there was a flour crisis, saying the country has bumper crops of rice and wheat.

He categorically rejected the impression that any delay was being made in implementation of constitutional reforms. He said democracy was flourishing and the government, in consultation with coalition partners and the opposition, was committed to introducing political reforms.

He said the party’s manifesto and the CoD signed by Benazir Bhutto included constitutional reforms, adding that the government was concentrating on the problems of the residents of Balochistan.

He said the meetings of the committee on constitutional reforms would not be open for the media in order to avoid confusion.Gilani thanked the media for comprehensively and positively reporting the issues facing the nation.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan
---------------------------------------------------

I just hope that the important parts of the Women Protection Bill remain.

ISLAMABAD: The 17th Amendment and 58(2b) will also be abolished in accordance with the Charter of Democracy (CoD), Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Tuesday.

I will believe when it will happen for now it is just a political statement. There should be a review of all changes and we should keep the ones which are beneficial to Pakistan through a new bill.

I think he has taken some very good steps after that Iftikar chaudhry issue..!!

that is rit. he has been really wise when it comes to decision making. i guess he learned a lot from judges movement

One thing I appreciate about Zaradari and NS in recent times is that they have played it fair. N.S did not have majority in NA so he stayed away from premiership even though he could have easily taken PML-Q along specially now when there is a rift going on between chaudhary's and the other group to become a president or PM.

And same goes for Zardari, He has learnt it the hard way though (Punjab saga) but I hope he will now respect PML-Ns mandate in Punjab.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom