What's new

JF-17 & Super Mashak for Nigeria

No these things they can test before purchasing I believe they want 3 jets to train their pilots.

Agreed, there is no such thing for jets like Hey! get this, examine and if satisfied then opt otherwise return. They ordered initial three for training and know how to handle the capabilities then soon mature number as per their need.

surprised they wouldn't go for Su-30MK2 about everyone in Africa is :rofl:

but if Nigeria can buy 2.5 for every 1 Su-30 and the cost of flying and maintaining the JF-17 is cheaper then it's a good smart deal.

how good is JF-17 for ground attack btw?? Boko Haram should worry :D

Armament

Someone up-there needed anti-heat cream for radiation on back so please ignore. :D

Pakistan Zindabad

First 3 is mostly for evaluation and if they like it, they might make orders for more.

Its not evaluation. Its more to Test, Train Pilots and slowly build support facilities and get the block II / III. These will be rolled out a little slowly as the PAF takes priority.

Nigeria, Pakistan and a few others countries (BRICS + 11) will be the fastest growing economies in the next few decades BRICS are slowing down (see China and India), due to so much growth that's already taken place. While the next 11, are starting to see the economic boom now (where China and India were in the 90's).

So like everyone else, Nigeria knows she's expected to grow a lot. So with the first order, they'll also start to build overhaul facilities, etc, so the JFT turns out to be a real cost effective option for them to maintain. And once the support structure exists, you'll see a second order of block II or III. They have a real need to go upto 18-36 airplanes.

25 millions USD figure for 03 JFT's can only be worked out , if it accounts for the payment in hard cash that could have been requested by the Pakistani authorities : as they have got the only active line of production of this jet now.And we do require cash to support our industry.
The Chinese can pitch in to help with their soft loans so, it would not have been required to be mentioned in that sum i-e the budgetary allocation.

With that if we suppose that the Pakistani share is 50 percent of the whole effort, then it makes up round about 8.3 million USD /per AC.By that logic they have sold a single JFT (can not comment on the block) for about 16.6 million USDs.
PS: The only one in production now are the Block-2 JFTs.

@HRK , i'll like to read your opinion on this.Cheers!
(Pardon me, my maths gets abysmal at times.)

Last edited:
25 millions USD figure for 03 JFT's can only be worked out , if it accounts for the payment in hard cash that could have been requested by the Pakistani authorities : as they have got the only active line of production of this jet now.And we do require cash to support our industry.
The Chinese can pitch in to help with their soft loans so, it would not have been required to be mentioned in that sum i-e the budgetary allocation.

With that if we suppose that the Pakistani share is 50 percent of the whole effort, then it makes up round about 8.3 million USD /per AC.By that logic they have sold a single JFT (can not comment on the block) for about 16.6 million USDs.
PS: The only one in production now are the Block-2 JFTs.

@HRK , i'll like to hear your opinion on this.Cheers!
(Pardon me, my maths gets abysmal at times.)

Sir jee I would restrain myself commenting about this deal specially about the pricing part as different sources are quoting different prices for JF-17, like Indian news paper Hindustan times quoted unit price of Jf-17 around 35 million for SL while the price quoted for this deal is around Nigerian nara 5 billion approximately equivalent to usd 25 million, therefore would like to restrict myself to repeat & remind one or two known facts of JF-17 program

But before this one should keep mind that this is the allocation of 'this year' budget but its nature is not clear in news reports.

If we consider what you are suggesting that this is the 'total payment of Pakistani share' of 3 JF-17 deal i.e. $ 8.3x3= $ 24.9 million (unit price of JF-17 = $16.6 million ) & rest of the portion of the deal is financed through soft loan from China.

In this case we are assuming two things

1- Unit Price of Jf-17 is 16.6 million
2- China is providing soft loan for this deal

Now first thing first Unit price of JF-17: What we know that the production of JF-17 started in June 2009 in Pakistan after Pakistan acquired soft loan of $ 800 million from China in the financial year 2008-2009 for JF-17 production
Debt form Chiana.JPG

This mean:
1- Per unit cost for JF-17 was around $19.1 million, if we calculate the price only for number of block-I produced in PAC which are 42

2- Per unit cost for JF-17 was around $16.1 million, if we calculate the price at all 50 units of block-1 JF-17.

plz keep in mind these figures are for the year '2009' + I haven't calculated Inflation or increase in cost of Production (which should go up as only salary portion has gone up around 35% to 40% for general Government employs over the period), nor have added profit estimations as it is not known, so all these facts indicate one thing that $ 16.6 million could not be the unit price of JF-17 in the year 2016 or 2017 it must be higher

Now the second point China is providing soft loan for the deal: If that is the case then Nigeria should go at least for a squander strengths not for just 3 planes.

In my opinion (which may me wrong) this allocation in Nigerian Defence Budget is the initial instalment or down payment amount for the deal.

Why isn't JF-17 going to the Bahrain Air Show?

There really isn't a strong enough reason I guess. JF-17 has done its job especially in Paris Airshow. Potential customers were targeted there. We are not targetting Gulf region. PAF might go to Marrakesh (?) to target African market. Indians are throwing Tejas into Airshow because of the pressure caused by repeated appearances of JF17 in international shows. From what I've seen in immature videos of practice runs, Tejas doesn't look very exciting. We will find soon enough.

Why isn't JF-17 going to the Bahrain Air Show?

As per some 'forum rumors' in different forums PAF had no program to go for BIAS, JF-17 was included by the organizers without even taking any prior consent of PAF ....

yes i also think it is the choice of 3.
The JF-17 was c Developed to meet the PAF's requirement for an affordable, modern, multi-role combat aircraft as a replacement for nó large fleet of Dassault Mirage III / 5 fighters, Nanchang A-5 bombers, and Chengdu F-7 interceptors , with a cost of US $ 500 million, Divided Equally Between China and Pakistan.The aircraft was intended to have export potencial cost-effective as a competitive alternative to more expensive and Western fighters.

I hoped that too;
but realistically that is not going to happen.

The Saudi scenario requires long range, heavy air dominance fighters.
Specially now that Iran will buy and arm her self to the teeth with Chinese and Russian technology.
JF-17 does not even appear in the contenders.
It does have decent Range and maneuverability.

As per some 'forum rumors' in different forums PAF had no program to go for BIAS, JF-17 was included by the organizers without even taking any prior consent of PAF ....
Fits in with the general GCC trend of including Pakistan in all sorts of 'events' without any prior intimation to Pakistan.

1. Military coalition to fight in Yemen
2. Military coalition to fight global terrorism

Guys what is the price of one unit of JF-17? News says Nigeria bought 20 JF-17's for $25 million, so is one JF-17 around $1.1million?

Guys what is the price of one unit of JF-17? News says Nigeria bought 20 JF-17's for $25 million, so is one JF-17 around $1.1million?
Come on dude, even some cars cost more than that.
The price often quoted for JF-17 is around $25 million each.

Back
Top Bottom