What's new

Featured PAF Center of Artificial Intelligence and Computing

Just one thing I'd like to add without taking away from the accurate challenges you've listed:
PAF has thousands of hours of flight data from the JF-17. When I say flight data I mean that the JF-17 logs every damn thing digitally and PAF has all of this data. This is unprecedented for PAF. Furthermore, this data is just lying around doing nothing. PAC has approached some folks I know to develop flight models for the JF-17 using this data (how feasible this is, is another debate). I suspect one of the reasons for setting up this center may be to finally utilize all of this data that we have (JF-17 flying since 2007 but not sure how far the logs go back). A low-hanging fruit is predictive maintenance.

I may be wrong but I haven't seen an ACMI pod on the JF-17 and the reason might as well be that it doesn't need one since it logs all of that data automatically. However, this is just speculation on my part.
PAF also possess F-16 flight and engine data.
Engine data is being used for preventive maintenance.

I am sure this valuable data will be used in forthcoming projects such as flight simulators, advance LIFT and CCI computing and AI systems.

Just one thing I'd like to add without taking away from the accurate challenges you've listed:
PAF has thousands of hours of flight data from the JF-17. When I say flight data I mean that the JF-17 logs every damn thing digitally and PAF has all of this data. This is unprecedented for PAF. Furthermore, this data is just lying around doing nothing. PAC has approached some folks I know to develop flight models for the JF-17 using this data (how feasible this is, is another debate). I suspect one of the reasons for setting up this center may be to finally utilize all of this data that we have (JF-17 flying since 2007 but not sure how far the logs go back). A low-hanging fruit is predictive maintenance.

I may be wrong but I haven't seen an ACMI pod on the JF-17 and the reason might as well be that it doesn't need one since it logs all of that data automatically. However, this is just speculation on my part.

This would really be a great place to start. Building on what you've suggested, we can uncover a fresh view of the JF-17's performance that has previously been unknown. A lot of the subtle performance parameters logged during DACT for example.
This will allow unprecedented insight into the aircraft's strength and weaknesses - something which can feed back into the training and employment doctrine via the setup at ACE (TDS, CCS etc).
However, the buck stops again at the problem of having quality manpower.
The bare fact is that education and expertise regarding statistics, data analysis, data science is absolutely pathetic in Pakistan. I am not talking about one or two guys who have done exceptional work. I am talking about how students in engineering and physics/maths are not at all proficient in statistics, probability and data science/analysis. In my BE program in Electrical Engineering, we had just one course about statistics and the teacher (a Naval officer) either was absent, or spent the entire semester 'teaching' the 'intricacies' involved in coin tossing, dice rolling and other similar 'applications' of statistics. This is the situation at the nation's top ranked engineering university.
Therefore, it's no surprise that Pakistani students have no understanding of the underlying mathematics involved in ML, AI and data science/analysis. In the long run, this is going to turn out o be a strategic threat to Pakistan's global standing and ultimately, it's national security.
The short term solution is an aggressive program to bring in Pakistani computer science experts from around the world. They must be given the best salaries and benefits possible and an environment of cooperation and collaboration. No military/bureaucratic red tape. Something like the Skunk Works. Without this aggressive solution, this problem of strategic proportions can not be solved. The CENTAIC or any of the other National Centers that have been set up in universities will continue to be monuments to our stupidity.

This would really be a great place to start. Building on what you've suggested, we can uncover a fresh view of the JF-17's performance that has previously been unknown. A lot of the subtle performance parameters logged during DACT for example.
This will allow unprecedented insight into the aircraft's strength and weaknesses - something which can feed back into the training and employment doctrine via the setup at ACE (TDS, CCS etc).
However, the buck stops again at the problem of having quality manpower.
The bare fact is that education and expertise regarding statistics, data analysis, data science is absolutely pathetic in Pakistan. I am not talking about one or two guys who have done exceptional work. I am talking about how students in engineering and physics/maths are not at all proficient in statistics, probability and data science/analysis. In my BE program in Electrical Engineering, we had just one course about statistics and the teacher (a Naval officer) either was absent, or spent the entire semester 'teaching' the 'intricacies' involved in coin tossing, dice rolling and other similar 'applications' of statistics. This is the situation at the nation's top ranked engineering university.
Therefore, it's no surprise that Pakistani students have no understanding of the underlying mathematics involved in ML, AI and data science/analysis. In the long run, this is going to turn out o be a strategic threat to Pakistan's global standing and ultimately, it's national security.
The short term solution is an aggressive program to bring in Pakistani computer science experts from around the world. They must be given the best salaries and benefits possible and an environment of cooperation and collaboration. No military/bureaucratic red tape. Something like the Skunk Works. Without this aggressive solution, this problem of strategic proportions can not be solved. The CENTAIC or any of the other National Centers that have been set up in universities will continue to be monuments to our stupidity.
CENTAIC should not seek people who are working and settled abroad. As most of them must have crossed their prime time of "coding" and holding post as directors and senior project managers.They will be very costly, and their performance will be questionable as they have to adapt the new military environment.

Instead CENTAIC should hire fresh CS graduates from FAST and NUST who had done A-levels with Maths and Further Maths. They should also hire some CS professionals working in local soft ware firms having 3-8 years experience in data base software coding as Senior software engineers, Leads and Project Managers. Depending on education and experience their salaries should be set IAW with the local current job market and six monthly increment based on performance evaluation.

First step is to organize the raw data while transferring it into data base system.

Second step, the most difficult one, is realization of statistical out reports for analysis and other use.

PAF establishes center for Artificial Intelligence
CENTAIC will enable PAF to develop sensor fusion technology that combines sensory data from multiple sources such as radars, lidars, and cameras to form a single model having the least uncertainty as it balances the strengths of different sensors
By
Web Desk
-
August 31, 2020
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...tablishes-center-for-artificial-intelligence/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?te...ter-for-artificial-intelligence/&via=Profitpk
https://www.linkedin.com/shareArtic...stablishes+center+for+Artificial+Intelligence

paf-696x392.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Aiming to increase the usage of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in warfare, Pakistan Air Force (PAF) has established a Centre of Artificial Intelligence and Computing (CENTAIC), a national daily reported.
In an official statement, PAF Chief of Air Staff (CAS), Air Chief Marshal (ACM) Mujahid Anwar Khan, said that CENTAIC will be the vanguard of AI development in the country for both military and civilian purposes, enabling the PAF to integrate AI into its operational domain. It will also enable Pakistan to sign bilateral R&D initiatives with different countries.
CENTAIC will enable PAF to develop sensor fusion technology, a technology that combines sensory data from multiple sources such as radars, lidars, and cameras to form a single model having the least uncertainty as it balances the strengths of different sensors.
As per reports, CENTAIC will explore key fields of AI including Big Data, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Predictive Analysis, and Natural Language Processing (NLP). The establishment of CENTAIC will also remove barriers in the research of transmit-and-receive modules (TRM) for active electronically scanned array (AESA) radars.
CENTAIC will also drive the development of PAF’s fifth-generation stealth fighter jets, medium-altitude long-endurance (MALE) unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), and other advanced weapons under the Project Azm. AI could be employed in Project Azm for several applications such as algorithms for guidance systems for air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles, image processing for TV/IR seekers, and human-machine-interfaces (HMI).

We need to work on this:
Swarm of [micro] drones.
And how to counter the same.

Last edited:
This is what I like about Pakistan. In the field of defence it does what it can do without almost any delay or at best 1-2 years. This centre is fast from the early announcement of the plan.
In the rest other fields not so good.

AI foght between a a computer and a fighter pilot on an f16 resulted in a 5 - 0 for the AI in Visual range combat. The future is AI for the airforce and elon must was right

Senior moderator @The Eagle
Sir this thread is redundant as we are already discussing the same topic in another thread:
Featured PAF Center of Artificial Intelligence and Computing

Artificial Intelligence: Mankind's Last Invention
"Super intelligent AI is the last invention that humanity will ever make. Once it's invented it can't be uninvented. The technology and developments that could possible turn the human species into immortal god like figures is coincidentally the same technology that could also cause the downfall of humanity."

Civil AI Companies of Pakistan are making profit in Intentional Market. They can be utilized in future development of our Defence AI Industry. Civil-Military Partnership is essential in making rapid progress in this field.

we have to see how Chinese companies overtaking work leaders in the field of AI.We have to follow Chinese model. Yes, we dont have big enterprises but we have companies working in robotics, AI and Machine learning.

Attachments

• ai.jpg
    ai.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 47
Countries like us cannot afford the compartmentalization of knowledge, innovation, technology, resources, and capital assets. However, this remains a serious and perhaps the biggest problem which continues to pull Pakistan to the bottom rank of innovation and leadership in technology.

The Soviet Union is a perfect example of what can happen as a result of strict compartmentalization - it had the world's foremost scientists and engineers, huge resources, and the political will to make huge breakthroughs. And breakthroughs it made. However, the strict divisions and closed-off nature of Soviet academia, industry, and R&D setups (i.e. design bureaus, academies, labs) created such a stifling environment that it choked the life out of their economy and utterly destroyed their competitiveness to a point where all of that military superiority, all of that technology, all of that human resource was of no use to them and ended up as the modern subject of interest for thousands of 'urban explorers' poking through the remains (space shuttle hangars, labs, factories) of the USSR.

The PAF is stepping in the right direction by 'opening up' to new ideas, engaging the wider academia, civil sector, and industry. There is a need for the government (Ministries of Planning, Industries, Science and Technology, IT, etc) to come up with effective policymaking in these areas as a matter of priority.

We have missed the PC boom of the 1980s and 90s, the IT and WWW boom of the 2000s, the social media and digital economy boom of the 2010s. It will be a tragedy if we were to miss the bus for the AI and data science boom of the 2020s.

Countries like us cannot afford the compartmentalization of knowledge, innovation, technology, resources, and capital assets. However, this remains a serious and perhaps the biggest problem which continues to pull Pakistan to the bottom rank of innovation and leadership in technology.

The Soviet Union is a perfect example of what can happen as a result of strict compartmentalization - it had the world's foremost scientists and engineers, huge resources, and the political will to make huge breakthroughs. And breakthroughs it made. However, the strict divisions and closed-off nature of Soviet academia, industry, and R&D setups (i.e. design bureaus, academies, labs) created such a stifling environment that it choked the life out of their economy and utterly destroyed their competitiveness to a point where all of that military superiority, all of that technology, all of that human resource was of no use to them and ended up as the modern subject of interest for thousands of 'urban explorers' poking through the remains (space shuttle hangars, labs, factories) of the USSR.

The PAF is stepping in the right direction by 'opening up' to new ideas, engaging the wider academia, civil sector, and industry. There is a need for the government (Ministries of Planning, Industries, Science and Technology, IT, etc) to come up with effective policymaking in these areas as a matter of priority.

We have missed the PC boom of the 1980s and 90s, the IT and WWW boom of the 2000s, the social media and digital economy boom of the 2010s. It will be a tragedy if we were to miss the bus for the AI and data science boom of the 2020s.
If you are talking about military use of AI and computing, yes, the knowledge will be compartmentalized as they have done in nuclear and missiles technology.

US, Russia, China and Israel do the same.

No body in Pakistan is restricting development and use of AI and computing in Pakistan. There are software houses who are developing AI products and selling these in International markets successfully.

We are not missing anything. Military will do their part to fulfill their needs and civil sector will do their part to gain more profits and expansion.

Basic technology is available as open source on the net. Only thing is your initiative.

Military organization will not share the knowledge freely to the civil sector. If at all they involve some top notch SW firm, than this firm will become military contractor (as in US) and will be closely supervised by the military supervisors and ISI personnel.

PAF is opening up, involving academia and civil sector to gain maximum input, but further development of AI for military use will be restricted to few "cleared" to do such things.

Please appreciate that we are talking about situation awareness, Command and Control, and critical decisions. Algorithm for these cannot be shared and will remain top secret and country specific. Even AI to operate pilotless aircraft will not be an open source.

These types of work will be compartmentalized and people working on it will be closely monitored even after completion of task.

Unfortunately, Pakistan will also miss the AI boom of the 2020s because it’s planners haven’t really understood the vital importance of the private sector. For Pakistan to reap the benefits of the emerging technologies, it needs to partner with the private sector more seriously. At a time when Pakistanis are churning out AI unicorns like Afinti, it will be a tragedy for Pakistan to miss out on this revolution. A recent @Quwa article explained in detail how Pakistan’s military has long shunned the private sector to the detriment of both the military and Pakistan, as a whole; and why this trend is likely to continue despite the buzz around “aviation city” etc. Generals won’t lead Pakistan to the promised land; its youth and knowledge hubs will and the sooner planners in Pakistan understand this, the better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom