What's new

Pakistan to develop 'advanced MLRS'

What about developing a mlrs system that uses quasi ballistic trajectory. What I mean by that is after it reaches its apogee it can turn into a glide bomb opening its wings sort of increasing its range. It can't be a dumb bomb and would need accurate INS or GPS guidance system. There can be certain advantages of this type of glide bomb like more range with same payload, same range with less fuel smaller rockets on the same vehicle which means more quantity to be delivered. Also low and changing flight profile would make it harder to be shot down by enemy counter measures. For example if India buys israeli counter rocket artillery systems it would have little effect in a potential conflict.

What about developing a mlrs system that uses quasi ballistic trajectory. What I mean by that is after it reaches its apogee it can turn into a glide bomb opening its wings sort of increasing its range. It can't be a dumb bomb and would need accurate INS or GPS guidance system. There can be certain advantages of this type of glide bomb like more range with same payload, same range with less fuel smaller rockets on the same vehicle which means more quantity to be delivered. Also low and changing flight profile would make it harder to be shot down by enemy counter measures. For example if India buys israeli counter rocket artillery systems it would have little effect in a potential conflict.
Nasr is a Short Ranged Quasi Ballistic Missile, capable of carrying tactical nuclear warheads.
000_Del6401241.jpg
767860-copy-1411757051-485-640x480.jpg
23missile1.jpg

This what Pakistan would be manufacturing

We already have em.

d3786b2dd9a942c397d12684bad19487.jpg

And a devoted "workshop" for them.

Nasr is a Short Ranged Quasi Ballistic Missile, capable of carrying tactical nuclear warheads.
View attachment 404884 View attachment 404885 View attachment 404886

We already have em.

View attachment 404892

Nasr is a bit, let's say OTT :D I think @vizier was talking about usual artillery exchanges along the LoC where India's recent 'indigenous' fire detection radars have come into play. A quasi-ballistic MLRS system would have approx. the same operational cost as artillery and at the same time counter their radars as well.

Nasr is a bit, let's say OTT :D I think @vizier was talking about usual artillery exchanges along the LoC where India's recent 'indigenous' fire detection radars have come into play. A quasi-ballistic MLRS system would have approx. the same operational cost as artillery and at the same time counter their radars as well.
A)Nasr missiles can be modified to carry conventional warheads, instead of tactical nukes.. wouldn't be a problem.

B)Pakistan also has Arty locating radars.. every arty unit has arty locating dudes to support them.

C)No, Quasi missiles cost more than regular arty,shells or rockets.

D)For some reason, I believe the new MLRS would be on the same line.

As far as I know nasr is not a conventionally intended system but ofcouse can be converted or already converted. Trajectory would be an advantage against fire detection radars but I was not only meaning its trajectory agility like Nasr. After reaching its apogee a glider bomb would have more range than a free fall ballistic rocket. It can be a two stage system imho.

As far as I know nasr is not a conventionally intended system but ofcouse can be converted or already converted. Trajectory would be an advantage against fire detection radars but I was not only meaning its trajectory agility like Nasr. After reaching its apogee a glider bomb would have more range than a free fall ballistic rocket. It can be a two stage system imho.

Agreed. A while ago I posted similar thoughts myself. I am in complete agreement here. Is there an actual weapon system today that achieves this?

A)Nasr missiles can be modified to carry conventional warheads, instead of tactical nukes.. wouldn't be a problem.

B)Pakistan also has Arty locating radars.. every arty unit has arty locating dudes to support them.

C)No, Quasi missiles cost more than regular arty,shells or rockets.

D)For some reason, I believe the new MLRS would be on the same line.

Sir infact Nasr is a short range missile with sole purpose to stop enemy Armour advances within own territory after red line is crossed. It shall be used if and when conventional means are not useful to halt enemy advances. The Missiles are always complex and much expensive than ordinary rockets/bombs. So PA's strategy to arm Nasr with nuclear warhead is to perhaps get more effective results with limited usage of Missiles.

Further perhaps Nasr may not prove to be useful enough with conventional war head and shall not have much psychological impact on enemy.

Ministry of Defence Production reports in its Year Book 2015-16 that DGMP has signed a project for 'Indigenous development of advanced MLRS'.

Another project signed includes the indigenous development & production of MLRS Rockets.

MLRS.png
That is interesting, i doubt this is just standard 122mm mlrs which is cloned all over the place. More in the long range artillery supplement. I stand corrected but more detail is needed.

View attachment 404884 View attachment 404885 View attachment 404886

We already have em.

View attachment 404892

Guys I think vizier is referring to the artilery range extention kit mounted on artillery rounds like the one South Africa recently came up with.

Sir infact Nasr is a short range missile with sole purpose to stop enemy Armour advances within own territory after red line is crossed. It shall be used if and when conventional means are not useful to halt enemy advances. The Missiles are always complex and much expensive than ordinary rockets/bombs. So PA's strategy to arm Nasr with nuclear warhead is to perhaps get more effective results with limited usage of Missiles.

Further perhaps Nasr may not prove to be useful enough with conventional war head and shall not have much psychological impact on enemy.
I'm saying that, a long ranged variant with conventional warheads could be built...

That is interesting, i doubt this is just standard 122mm mlrs which is cloned all over the place. More in the long range artillery supplement. I stand corrected but more detail is needed.

Pravda (Serbia) reported that Pakistan is testing the 300 km range Sumadija rocket.

It could be linked to the MLRS program.

Pravda (Serbia) reported that Pakistan is testing the 300 km range Sumadija rocket.

It could be linked to the MLRS program.
That being a Serbian rocket, which would suggest a purchase and/or manufacturing in Pakistan under a licence or transfer-of-technology agreement.

The Serbian industry has many land forces solutions. Expanding its artillery portfolio, Yugoimport-SDPR showcased its new 400-mm diameter Sumadija artillery rocket, which can push a 200-kg warhead to a range of up to 280 km. The Sumadija appears to be similar in concept to the Israel Aerospace Industries Long Range Attack Missile (LORA), albeit with a lighter warhead (versus the LORA’s 570-kg warhead).

The 400 mm Sumadija correctable rocket is 8.25 m long, has a total launch weight of 1,502 kg, a 889 kg solid motor, and a 200 kg unitary high-explosive/fragmentation warhead fitted with a proximity/impact fuze. Its minimum and maximum ranges are listed as 70 and 280 km respectively. As with a 122mm Grad, Sumadija uses wrap around stabilisation fins that pop out after it leaves its launch tube, but it also has pop out steering fins on its nose that enable it to correct its course using an inertial navigation system (INS).

The MoDP also inquired about the extended-range version of the 122 mm Grad-2000 rocket, which has a range of up to 52 km, which is deployable through multiple-launch rocket-systems (MRLS).

The inquiry in the Grad-2000 also indicates that the Army has far-reaching artillery modernization plans. While Pakistan Ordnance Factories (POF) manufactures 122 mm rockets, the Pakistan Army’s needs have evolved to require extended-range and, potentially, precision-guided rockets.

Besides Yugoimport-SDPR, the Turkish munitions manufacturer Roketsan is also offering its solutions (MSI Turkish Defence Review). New versions of China’s Weishi-series should also be among Pakistan’s options.

http://www.janes.com/article/68023/idex-2017-yugoimport-unveils-giant-grad-rocket
http://quwa.org/2017/02/21/idex-2017-pakistan-reportedly-expresses-interest-serbian-armaments/

That being a Serbian rocket, which would suggest a purchase and/or manufacturing in Pakistan under a licence or transfer-of-technology agreement.

The Serbian industry has many land forces solutions. Expanding its artillery portfolio, Yugoimport-SDPR showcased its new 400-mm diameter Sumadija artillery rocket, which can push a 200-kg warhead to a range of up to 280 km. The Sumadija appears to be similar in concept to the Israel Aerospace Industries Long Range Attack Missile (LORA), albeit with a lighter warhead (versus the LORA’s 570-kg warhead).

The 400 mm Sumadija correctable rocket is 8.25 m long, has a total launch weight of 1,502 kg, a 889 kg solid motor, and a 200 kg unitary high-explosive/fragmentation warhead fitted with a proximity/impact fuze. Its minimum and maximum ranges are listed as 70 and 280 km respectively. As with a 122mm Grad, Sumadija uses wrap around stabilisation fins that pop out after it leaves its launch tube, but it also has pop out steering fins on its nose that enable it to correct its course using an inertial navigation system (INS).

The MoDP also inquired about the extended-range version of the 122 mm Grad-2000 rocket, which has a range of up to 52 km, which is deployable through multiple-launch rocket-systems (MRLS).

The inquiry in the Grad-2000 also indicates that the Army has far-reaching artillery modernization plans. While Pakistan Ordnance Factories (POF) manufactures 122 mm rockets, the Pakistan Army’s needs have evolved to require extended-range and, potentially, precision-guided rockets.

Besides Yugoimport-SDPR, the Turkish munitions manufacturer Roketsan is also offering its solutions (MSI Turkish Defence Review). New versions of China’s Weishi-series should also be among Pakistan’s options.

http://www.janes.com/article/68023/idex-2017-yugoimport-unveils-giant-grad-rocket
http://quwa.org/2017/02/21/idex-2017-pakistan-reportedly-expresses-interest-serbian-armaments/

Both Roketsan Bora and IAI Lora are 610mm missiles, much larger than the Sumadija rocket. It appears Serbia has not developed a multi-tube launcher for Sumadija yet.

khan_bora.jpg

lora-image04.jpg

The Sumadija is a tactical ballistic missile system developed and manufactured by Serbia to hit targets at ranges of between 70 kilometers and 300 kilometers. A single 400mm diameter Sumadija tactical ballistic missile is transported by an 8x8 ZIL 135M truck system which also serves as erector system taking up to 12 minutes to launch the weapon once deployed to a given location. Equipped with either a blast fragmentation or thermobaric warhead it can operate in temperature ranges between -30 Celsius to 50 Celsius. The Sumadija has been developed and manufactured by Yugoimport-SDPR and Edepro. It was introduced at IDEX exhibition in February 2017.

http://www.deagel.com/Offensive-Weapons/Sumadija_a003417001.aspx

Back
Top Bottom