What's new

Fantan A-5, Q-5 (NanChang) of Pakistan Air Force

1659060151966.png

Lacked modern avionics and had poor engine life. But was a good looking AC, imo.

Last edited:
Retired and few stored.

Q-5/A-5 was converted brilliantly from reverse-engineering early MiG-19 models supplied to China from Russia, using area-ruled side intakes. Mainly used as a ground attack fighter (A-5). But at the end of the day, still a MiG-19.

I wonder if the conversion allowed a proper attack nose radar to be fitted, but later versions reportedly had improved radars fitted, though I'm not sure.

BAF Fantans seemed a little underpowered, as reported by BAF pilots who flew them.

Upgraded version based on the Q-5 II featuring Western avionics such as a laser rangefinder, INS, and a HUD system from Thomson-CSF. This was not exported.

Export version of the Q-5 III with more capable Western avionics and the ability to fire AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missiles (i.e. Chinese PL-2/5), were the ones purchased by Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Last edited:
A-5 (Q-5) is believed to be Pakistan’s first tactical nuclear strike delivery aircraft. Two fuel tanks and nuclear devices not so different from O-27 shown below. Obviously its not declared mostly speculated but believed to be true.

O-27 tactical N-bomb mounted on modified Q-5A. first operational N-bomb. Q-5A would fly at an altitude of 300m to avoid radar detection, about 12km before target would start 45° climb reaching altitude of 1,200m & release. It was developed for Soviets & mission was one way .

Fg-qo04WIAY_7wx

Back
Top Bottom