What's new

Featured Iran can begin exporting/importing weapons from Sunday

I think Iran will go for some Russian fighters (not a lot, maybe 30 or 40) with ToT. If not ToT, Iran will not purchase them. I think Iran wants Su-30 or Su-35 (or Su.57??) mainly in order to learn new things, not in order to re-build its air force.
Why? Because i think Iran has several fighter projects VERY VERY advanced (in progress) and due to limited budget, Iran has to think very well where to spend money.

I think Iran HAS at this moment some developing projects with manned aircrafts and some developing projects with SUPERSONIC UCAV fighters.

The highest impact in this endig of the UN embargo is NOT Iran purchasing things BUT Iran selling (or giving free) some of its inventory to allies and other countries (Syria, Irak, North Korea, Belarus, Argentina, Algerya...)

Selling weapons isn’t the problem. Getting the funds transferred is the problem.
yea, but this is only correct if we assume Iran will pay in cash. China can accept millions of barrels of oil...crypto can be used...gold can be used...Iran can receive local currency to use in a local market for purcchases....remember that Iran is a professional SANCTIONS BUSTER... Trump put the worst economic sanctions on Iran recently, but Iran keeps selling more and more oil...so US has no move left...except for outright war or international law violations...

yea, but this is only correct if we assume Iran will pay in cash. China can accept millions of barrels of oil...crypto can be used...gold can be used...Iran can receive local currency to use in a local market for purcchases....remember that Iran is a professional SANCTIONS BUSTER... Trump put the worst economic sanctions on Iran recently, but Iran keeps selling more and more oil...so US has no move left...except for outright war or international law violations...
and we have milliards of Dollar that china owe to us

Considering Iranian economic problems, they might go for S-400 and advance drones from China or Russia. If some funds do become available jf-17 might be considered because Iran does have f-7 infrastructure but J-10 seems a contender.

tested against what? Average IAF??? dont be a local champion bro.
SU30 and Bison upgrade.

What are the upgrades?
A senior IAF official said the upgrades to the MiG-21 BIS that became the latest MiG-21 Bison include upgraded electronics, better avionics and communication systems, the Kopyo light weight multi-mode radar, a helmet-mounted display and a better windshield, among others.

“It was made capable of carrying modern weapon systems and missiles. In terms of electronics, it could have been compared to the then Mirage 2000,” said the IAF official on condition of anonymity.

“The information available to pilots and their self-protection was better in the upgraded aircraft,” the official added.

Another senior IAF official said multi-function display cockpits, radio sets, electronic warfare suite, inertial navigation system/GPS were also among the upgrades.
Considering Iranian economic problems, they might go for S-400 and advance drones from China or Russia. If some funds do become available jf-17 might be considered because Iran does have f-7 infrastructure but J-10 seems a contender.
People ignore the fact that JF17 is open source which can integrate all Chinese,Russian and some US AA weapons. Which is huge plus point.

people are obsessed with legacy airforces. buy for the sake of buying.

look at the nagorno karabakh war. The airforces of the 2 sides, especially the azeri one is almost absent.

they are not going to risk an expensive plane, a trained pilot, and the possible morale damage of a lost aircraft when they got pilotless drones that have precision strike capability.

air defenses have reached a stage, where unless you have almost 100% undisputed airspace dominance, sending out piloted warplanes is suicidal and not worth the risk.

war is changing

Iran has tested Chinese fighters and wasn’t impressed.I don’t see Iran Air Force buying 4th gen Chinese fighters unless China does full ToT.

Doesnt make sense to spend 1B+ on Chinese 4th gen planes when US is already testing it’s 6th gen prototype. Waste of money
6th GEN need time and atleast 10 year required to put into production. US is now facing competition and they will play when every things is going well for them

The real question is, would any country be willing to sell weapons to Iran under threat of US sanction?

not all countries can buy from Iran close allies who sanction from usa also can buy only .

Ironic how Pakistanis have been expecting procurement of Chinese fighters just around the corner for decades and now Iran will almost certainly manage to beat us to the punch and procure Chinese fighters before Pakistan. With Iran, they will not build up this stupid hype like Pakistan has been doing for last 10 years, Iran has the money so they will just buy whatever they want without any kind of show.

Despite being iron ally of China, I would not be surprised if Chinese got frustrated with Pakistan for taking so long and dragging feet on placing order for even a few J-10. I fully expect China to sell order of 50 to 100 J-10's that were earmarked and designated for Pakistan at half price but Pakistan took so long that now they will go to Iran instead. And it's hard to blame China for incompetence of PAF procurement program. Don't be fooled by Iran, they might have sanctions, but their economy is in excellent condition, they have tons of cash flow, and their economy is in much better shape than Pakistan. They have the money to drop an order for 100 J-10 procurement tomorrow with zero fanfare like its nothing, while China quietly sells Pakistan's J-10's to Iran for as long as Pakistan takes to decide something as obvious and basic as PAF needing to urgently acquire J-10's and that should have been done yesterday. Mark my words, Iran will beat Pakistan to the punch and buy out our own designated J-10's marked for PAF from China before us. This is the difference between Iran and Pakistan, their leadership is far more decisive and practical than ours, they don't have any stupid hype buildup for years like Pakistan with J-10, they will just buy it without any fanfare, and soon J-10 will be operational in Iran while Pakistan keeps dreaming with an indecisive and imaginary procurement program. Iran knows they don't have unlimited time to buy these fighters so they won't waste decades like Pakistan.

As the saying goes, even a bad decision is better than no decision.

Pakistan will only wake up once they realize that they took so long that Iran managed to buy the J-10's China had designated for PAF from us and put them into service.

I must say it is very ironic that China bought blueprints for J-10 from Israel and now they will sell it to Iran.

Last edited:
Selling weapons isn’t the problem. Getting the funds transferred is the problem.

And Syria is broke, so not sure how will they pay for weapons. Iraq is a potential client as well as Venezuela (another financially strapped country).

Overall while the demand for Iranian weapons could be significant. Many countries with relations with the West will avoid financing the deals u it great if secondary sanctions.
you can pay with dollars if not euro if not other currencies if not gold if not other materials that Iran needs like titanium or uranium if not a military base will do. there is alot one can do to pay Iran back

Iran has money, Pakistan has no money. That is why Iran has developed so many systems at home and Pakistan has not and why Iran can make "decisions" quicker..
some thief stole so much money from Iran that one can say its a hole GDP for some countries ( not once but couple of times ) but not even a eyebrows went up Iran is that rich, so i agree with you.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom