What's new

Featured Iran to establish permanent IRGC military base in Indian Ocean by next March 2021

There is no potential for tensions here. IRGC and Artesh compliment each other beautifully. Their goals may align, but their tactics are completely different. I said few weeks ago the main focus of IRGC-N will be the Persian Gulf, but that they will also potentially expand into the areas like the Indian Ocean. The IRIN however will patrol the entire globe once its proper blue water fleet is ready. We have heard of many great potential projects from IRIN, we need to see these materialise as soon as possible and in greatest possible numbers. I am getting the sense that the leadership in Iran is giving a great focus to Iran's future navy. They rightly understand the importance of the control on the waters. Iran was one of the, if not the first great naval power. We cannot forget that.

There is no potential for tensions here. IRGC and Artesh compliment each other beautifully. Their goals may align, but their tactics are completely different. I said few weeks ago the main focus of IRGC-N will be the Persian Gulf, but that they will also potentially expand into the areas like the Indian Ocean. The IRIN however will patrol the entire globe once its proper blue water fleet is ready. We have heard of many great potential projects from IRIN, we need to see these materialise as soon as possible and in greatest possible numbers. I am getting the sense that the leadership in Iran is giving a great focus to Iran's future navy. They rightly understand the importance of the control on the waters. Iran was one of the if not the first great naval power. We cannot forget that.

Indeed, just the fact that the current chief and deputy artesh are from the navy tells us were the focus lies in the next decade. IRGC-N will be doing coastal patrols and defense while IRIN wil be going out farther in the oceans

Iran was one of the, if not the first great naval power. We cannot forget that.

We outsourced our navy to the Phoenicians in antiquity. We relied on the British fleet against the Portuguese in 1622 to recapture Hormuz. Only during the Islamic Republic has Iran become a true, indigenous naval power.

We still have a long way to go. Navy has historically been Iran's weakest military branch. The maritime incidents of the past few years speak for themselves. Iran has to build up a professional maritime culture and competence from scratch. But Iran is catching up fairly quickly, and in a distant future we can thank the Americans for being such a great mentor, as Iran could not have wished for a better adversary.

Last edited:
Indeed, just the fact that the current chief and deputy artesh are from the navy tells us were the focus lies in the next decade. IRGC-N will be doing coastal patrols and defense while IRIN wil be going out farther in the oceans

I agree, it looks like long term plan is for IRGC to patrol Persian Gulf and for IRIN to patrol Indian Ocean

There is no potential for tensions here. IRGC and Artesh compliment each other beautifully. Their goals may align, but their tactics are completely different. I said few weeks ago the main focus of IRGC-N will be the Persian Gulf, but that they will also potentially expand into the areas like the Indian Ocean. The IRIN however will patrol the entire globe once its proper blue water fleet is ready. We have heard of many great potential projects from IRIN, we need to see these materialise as soon as possible and in greatest possible numbers. I am getting the sense that the leadership in Iran is giving a great focus to Iran's future navy. They rightly understand the importance of the control on the waters. Iran was one of the, if not the first great naval power. We cannot forget that.

Will be interesting to see how IRGC-N and IRIN work together under this strategy or if they intend to keep them separate

There are some islands directly north of Diego Garcia. I am not sure who owns them. They look uninhabited.

Iran and China should start to take those islands (perhaps even jointly) and develop them. China has the financial muscle and have experience developing artificial islands too.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom