What's new

Pak to start production of high tech Al-Khalid 2 tank

Tell me about a vehicle that does not require these systems.

From Ships to Tanks and artiliries and Missile launchers all require these systems. For example If Pakistan
tries to invade India and Pakistani Tanks are in Indian side of Punjab now how do you think they will communicate with the command center and explain them what their current position is? They will not say that we are in Feroz pur India but they will communicate their position based on their Avionics details and they will provide their situational awareness on their Avionics detail. Not every Tank operator knows the name of each Indian village. Plus the Current generation of MBT uses Avionics suites for targeting and defense purposes.
Avionics = aviation electronics

Zahid Chaudhary

Islamabad

Pakistan will start production of high tech Al-Khalid 2 tank in the next four years. It will be manufactured keeping in view the future requirements of the country. According to officials, the tank will be comparable to any modern tank. Al-Khalid Main Battle Tank (MBT) forms the backbone of Pakistan Army’s Armoured Corps.
The tank is a result of close collaboration between Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) of Pakistan and China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO), with the first prototype developed in the early ’90s.The Al-Khalid is a further development of the Chinese Type 90-II tank. The tank is locally produced at the HIT complex, and an estimated 600 machines are in service. Al-Khalid MBT incorporates Russian and Chinese design philosophy in its manufacture. The tank itself is considerably lighter and smaller, incorporating a lower profile when compared to its Western counterparts.
At the meeting of Senate Standing Committee on Defense Production, Acting Chairman of HIT Brigadider Tahir Islam told the committee that his organization is producing tanks, tank guns and other related equipment. HIT has the capacity to manufacture fifty tanks, one hundred engines of tanks and fifty APC. The meeting was informed that manufacturing of Al-Khalid-1 tank was started in 2016 and it will be completed in two phases by 2023.

https://pakobserver.net/pak-start-production-high-tech-al-khalid-2-tank/
If we r upgrading alkhalid model into ak2 then what's the need of buying outside tanks as alhaider shouldn't we focus on indgenisation

but look at corruption level yo will forget Pakistan
I agree that Pakistan needs to dump -

1. PIA
  2. Pak Steel
But then we also need to half the navy by reducing it to a glorified coastguard. Placing cap on air force and reducing the armoured forces to about 600 modern tanks. A small, mobile, potent force to fight for about 4 days. After that finger on trigger and "woosh" go the nuclear strike forces. As long as the enemy is aware of this Pakistan will be secure. Nobody even the US would want a nuclear sandwich.

All the saved money goes into massive national education, health, law/order, basic sanitation projects. Make real differance on the ground for the net two decades.

I agree that Pakistan needs to dump -

1. PIA
  2. Pak Steel
But then we also need to half the navy by reducing it to a glorified coastguard. Placing cap on air force and reducing the armoured forces to about 600 modern tanks. A small, mobile, potent force to fight for about 4 days. After that finger on trigger and "woosh" go the nuclear strike forces. As long as the enemy is aware of this Pakistan will be secure. Nobody even the US would want a nuclear sandwich.

All the saved money goes into massive national education, health, law/order, basic sanitation projects. Make real differance on the ground for the net two decades.
bad idea... why?
no body wants nuclear war from each side
Pakistan is going to loose much more and growing Indian fear mongering mean India will go to war on Pakistan
nuke should be last resort, like collective suicide..which isnt brave but infact cowardness

Pakistan needs to indegization of its products that can be mass produced and thus cheap and help its economy in the process..

we should avoid big tickets expensive weapons in favor of local products even if they are not 100% upto mark (note this point of view is debatable)

this includes truck, tanks and aircraft..we need to take a leaf from turkey which believe it or not is not that bigger economy than us..just 2.5 x size of pakistan PPPP. if they can do it with can too.

infact we should do as many as JV we can

Why HIT wants to keep on producing 2 decades old designed AL Khalid tanks. That's really disappointing.

VT-4/MBT-3000 is based upon MBT-2000/Al Khalid hull. VT-4s turret design looks better and well protected than AL Khalid tank. Get that turret design from China under ToT, put it on AL Khalid's hull, install latest 3rd Gen gunner's and commander's thermal sights. Duplet ERA and hard kill APS from Ukraine and bingo AL Khalid 2 is ready to roll. More versatile and better armor protection than VT-4/MBT-3000.

Optionally you may upgrade its engine to more powerful or higher torque producing engine, hydropneumatic suspension for increased mobility and stability.

Ukrainian duplet ERA is better than Russian Afghanit ERA in terms of protection against tandem shaped charged or specially APFSDS penetrating projectiles. Chinese VY4 ERA is reverse engineered Afghanit hence less effective than duplet.

Avionics = aviation electronics

If we r upgrading alkhalid model into ak2 then what's the need of buying outside tanks as alhaider shouldn't we focus on indgenisation
Basically it will be Chinese tank locally manufactured with perhaps western electronics vs Chinese like ak1

ak2 may be based on Chinese vt-4 so commonality if the news of vt-4 is true

Al Khalid 1 is in service with PA....work on Al Khalid 2 will commence soon
Personally Pakistan should try to to get engine from Ukraine or a country which will not ban the imports in future and than work with Turkey and develop 55 tonne version of Altay called AL KHALID II.

It is deadly because it is killing us in waiting

Im hearing this deadly al-khalid 1 and 2 tank since my childhood.. Now im 40 and desperately want to see these beasts once in my life :lol:

Im hearing this deadly al-khalid 1 and 2 tank since my childhood.. Now im 40 and desperately want to see these beasts once in my life :lol:

I think they now form major portion of our armored devisions together with al zarar definitely more than 70 80 percent of front line tanks...
I think u didn't look very hard

No they aren't deadly anymore. AL Khalid tank is pretty much mediocre tank perfect for a poor country like Pakistan but nothing is top notch in it. Specially with the advent of hard kill APS in many militaries around the globe it already looks outdated against them. With most of the newer tanks having more armor protection along with hard kill APS, AL Khalid won't stand a chance against them.

Even Chinese have upgraded the Turret Armor design of the basic Type 90-iiM family multiple times. See those Type 96 variants then eventually evolved into VT-4/MBT 3000. I think that's the perfect example of our Government's departmental acute incompetency syndrome.

I couldn't understand why our Army is so sluggish that decades have passed, why they can't even copy those simple incremental upgrades into their own variants while being completely aware of the fact that our adversary is numerically much more superior and getting more and more aggressive and bold as it's military acquisition keeps on growing.

Al Khalid 1 is in service with PA....work on Al Khalid 2 will commence soon
Yes ten years have passed nothing has come out of it. What HIT is planning to do then? Making a Super AL Khalid 2 that would annihilate the likes of M1A2SEPv3 Russian T-14 Armata, T-84 oplot M, K2 Black Panther or Leapord2A7 on each and every performance scale then it's worth waiting for it another 5 years from now.

If not then just please slap on the upgraded body kit modules that are already researched, developed and tested by China, APS & ERA form Ukraine or Russia, FCS and related subsystems from Turkey or France. If that's the best you may realistically expect from AL Khalid 2 variant then my friend AL Khalid 2 is already been built long ago built and ready to induct if HIT would care to gather those pieces and assemble them in their plant.

Otherwise it would be a lot better to reorganize or privitize HIT too. They have done nothing with their Frontline MBT program for past 2 decades. During that same time period our Airforce and Navy, against all odds, have done exceptional job to somehow keep their forces updated and relevant to modern warfare.

Last edited:
No they aren't deadly anymore. AL Khalid tank is pretty much mediocre tank perfect for a poor country like Pakistan but nothing is top notch in it. Specially with the advent of hard kill APS in many militaries around the globe it already looks outdated against them. With most of the newer tanks having more armor protection along with hard kill APS, AL Khalid won't stand a chance against them.

Even Chinese have upgraded the Turret Armor design of the basic Type 90-iiM family multiple times. See those Type 96 variants then eventually evolved into VT-4/MBT 3000. I think that's the perfect example of our Government's departmental acute incompetency syndrome.

I couldn't understand why our Army is so sluggish that decades have passed, why they can't even copy those simple incremental upgrades into their own variants while being completely aware of the fact that our adversary is numerically much more superior and getting more and more aggressive and bold as it's military acquisition keeps on growing.

Yes ten years have passed nothing has come out of it. What HIT is planning to do then? Making a Super AL Khalid 2 that would annihilate the likes of M1A2SEPv3 Russian T-14 Armata, T-84 oplot M, K2 Black Panther or Leapord2A7 on each and every performance scale then it's worth waiting for it another 5 years from now.

If not then just please slap on the upgraded body kit modules that are already researched, developed and tested by China, APS & ERA form Ukraine or Russia, FCS and related subsystems from Turkey or France. If that's the best you may realistically expect from AL Khalid 2 variant then my friend AL Khalid 2 is already been built long ago built and ready to induct if HIT would care to gather those pieces and assemble them in their plant.

Otherwise it would be a lot better to reorganize or privitize HIT too. They have done nothing with their Frontline MBT program for past 2 decades. During that same time period our Airforce and Navy, against all odds, have done exceptional job to somehow keep their forces updated and relevant to modern warfare.
that is what i have been saying from begining; there needs to be a complete seperation from armed forces - they are users - let the engineers, students etc work and innovate. It is complete B/S to have the dodo heads put their fingers where it does not belong.

Purchase of VT-4 from China says otherwise
If they ever (big 'if') go for a new AFV or IFV, I hope they simply order a foreign design off-the-shelf but ask the OEM to invest in a local manufacturing line with a 51%+ localization. So, total private sector entity.

This way, the capacity will be there to keep offering -- and producing -- new designs. Not only that, but I'm sure that OEM will also see the cost savings they can accrue by producing in Pakistan, so they may push for 3rd party exports more aggressively too.

that is what i have been saying from begining; there needs to be a complete seperation from armed forces - they are users - let the engineers, students etc work and innovate. It is complete B/S to have the dodo heads put their fingers where it does not belong.

We have had failures in ....Steeles mills , Tools factory almost PIA private sector and courts

The business man is not interested to make something for group who then buy from foreign party, the product made by businessman needs to have quality for local and foreign buyers

Current system works POF works , HIT works , KAMRA works 100%
The standard and quality at these institutes is World Class

Private Sector will have to match it with private investment before any deal goes their way

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom