ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Prof Hasan Askari named Punjab caretaker CM
Dawn.comUpdated June 07, 2018
Facebook Count22
Twitter Share
Professor Hasan Askari was named as Punjab caretaker chief minister by the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Thursday.

ECP Additional Secretary Akhtar Nazir made the announcement at a press conference in Islamabad.

"All respected members took place in the meeting and unanimously decided that Punjab's caretaker CM would be Professor Hasan Askari Rizvi," Nazir said.

Nazir said that the ECP had received the proposed names for the post of Balochistan caretaker CM, and that a decision would be made today or tomorrow.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
The process of selection of caretaker chief ministers of Punjab and Balochistan was referred to the ECP after a parliamentary committee in Lahore failed to reach a consensus, and the government-nominated members in Quetta did not turn up at a meeting of the parliamentary committee.

The PML-N has floated the names of two candidates — retired Admiral Mohammad Zakaullah and retired Justice Sair Ali — and the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) proposed Dr Hasan Askari and Ayaz Amir as possible names for the post of Punjab caretaker CM.

PTI's Mehmoodur Rasheed claimed that during the parliamentary committee meeting, the PML-N team had expressed reservations on the candidature of Ayaz Amir while the PTI raised objections over the candidature of retired Admiral Zakaullah. The PTI leader said that they insisted that the committee should reach a consensus on Dr Askari as he was a non-controversial personality.

The PML-N, it is learnt, asserted that it was PTI’s turn to accept one of the candidates pitched by the former.

"The deadlock reached a level that the committee was not even able to shortlist one candidate each supported by the two parties," Rasheed said.

Sources said it had become a sticky issue after the PTI backtracked on the selection of Nasir Mahmood Khosa for the post of Punjab caretaker chief minister finalised by former opposition leader Mahmoodur Rasheed and outgoing Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif.

In Quetta, the first meeting of the parliamentary committee constituted for selection of caretaker chief minister of Balochistan was held on Wednesday with former chief minister Nawab Sanaullah Zehri in the chair.

Three members representing the opposition, including former chief minister Malik Baloch and Syed Liaquat Agha, were present at the meeting but three other members representing the previous government — Tahir Mehmood, Sardarzada Sarfaraz Khan Domki and Amanullah Notezai — did not attend the meeting.

Four names of the candidates for the post of caretaker chief minister, two each from the opposition and government sides, were sent to the ECP for a final decision as the parliamentary committee failed to reach a consensus on one name.

Who is Prof Hasan Askari?
Prof Hasan Askari is a political scientist and analyst with experience working in international think tanks, universities and both local and foreign media. He is recognised for his work in comparative politics, nuclear weapons, and country's domestic policy.

He has become a known face on television due to his role as a political commentator on current affairs on both private and state-owned TV channels.

He has a number of publications to his name ─ including more than 1,800 op-eds and comment pieces in domestic and international newspapers and magazines ─ and has spent over 35 years teaching and supervising research at the post-graduate level.

He has taught Master's-level courses at Pakistani, German, and American universities on South Asian affairs, comparative politics, international relations, Pakistan's domestic and foreign policy, civil-military relations, the Middle East and the Gulf region.

He was awarded a Sitara-i-Imtiaz in 2010.

Prof Askari received a Bachelors in Political Science and English Literature in 1968 from Punjab University, an MA in International Relations from the University of Pennsylvania in 1979, and a PhD in Political Science from UPenn a year later.

He has also received an MPhil on the basis of a published thesis on South Asia and comparative government.

Bureaucracy Professor sahib ko aram se mammoo bana le gi. PTI should have stick to Orya instead of bending to pressure of landay ke liberals.
I don't think so Orya with his views would have a chance even within PTI he was controversial.. Hassan Askari is clearly biased in PTI favor and will listen to there suggestions ..So, i believe its a good choice though elections will not be on time

Last edited:
He knows his stuff. But is he an administrator? Remains to be seen.

I don't think so Orya with his views would have a chance even within PTI he was controversial.. Hassan Askari is clearly biased in PTI favor and will listen to there suggestions ..So, i believe its a good choice

If PTI standard of nominees were the preson(s) who will follow their dictate than how it is different from other parties? BTW as I said earlier even if he follows PTI suggestions, he still will not be able to realize that bureaucrats are making him fool. Rest time will tell, at-least PTI will not be in position to blame CTPM and CTCM of Punjab.

I think ECP should recommend name independently without taking recommendation from parties. When party nominate certain individuals then they will automatically get inclined toward those who recommended them

But still no mind it because it will give them no chance to bring 30 puncture and dhandli dhandli stuffs as their nominated person is caretaker

If PTI standard of nominees were the preson(s) who will follow their dictate than how it is different from other parties? BTW as I said earlier even if he follows PTI suggestions, he still will not be able to realize that bureaucrats are making him fool. Rest time will tell, at-least PTI will not be in position to blame CTPM and CTCM of Punjab.
Yes, now they can't blame and yes standard is same.The one who is in there favor to be nominated this is politics.This is how it works to give an example
1) PTI used to object on RWP/ISL and Lahore metro that its in loss. Will they announce they will close it or shut it down ? NO.
2) In constituency back in town a politician did nothing for last 25-30 years and PTI local candidate did well to establish a narrative but now that same politician has joined PTI and will leech the people again as the one awarding a ticket.

IK has to play politics ..

This whole idea of selecting caretaker is such an idiotic and short sighted one. After several runs, it will become impossible to find the right people to be caretakers. If lets say PTI wins significantly in Punjab, Dr. Askari too will become controversial for PMLN.

The better alternative is to make Election Commission independent. After a certain date on end of term, the EC takes up all admin powers and the sitting government can continue as caretaker as it has no admin powers. This way institutions of parliament and EC will be created.

Right now, the system does not empower institutions but its at disposal of whims of the individuals. And what better could you have expected from PPP and PMLN who drafted these changes in 18th amendment!!?

in one of his articles he suggested delaying elections for 1-2 months.... it seems PMLN is not happy ....
Actually he cited the same reasons as put forward in Balochistan assembly later on that raised some questions..But any how it depends on all what establishment is up-to..PML-N has already messed up few issues so they have to face repercussions

Punjab has a Shia Caretaker Chief Ministers!
No issue in it

Punjab has a Shia Caretaker Chief Ministers!
I have no issues with him being Shia caretaker CM, being a Pakistani citizen he got every right....

Actually he cited the same reasons as put forward in Balochistan assembly later on that raised some questions..But any how it depends on all what establishment is up-to..PML-N has already messed up few issues so they have to face repercussions
R u pointing @ Engineered Elections???:drag:

I have no issues with him being Shia caretaker CM, being a Pakistani citizen he got every right....

R u pointing @ Engineered Elections???:drag:
It looks apparent NZ/PML-N won't be allowed to come back some way or other they went full retard in this term..Any how even with political maneuvering and harnessing a mob towards specific party with selective justice still PML-N would gain some handy seats and be in Opposition but then again it will depend on Zardari how after winning easily in Sindh he would behave at federal level..
Though i wish IK should win this time...People are fed up with NZ/Zardari but constituency based election has its own rules

Back
Top Bottom