What's new

$15 billion Saudi bailout likely

I don't know if Pakistan should accept the money, what are the conditions? Some members mentioned forgoing the pipeline...
why are we so obsessed with pipeline, when we are offered expensive gas, so expensive that even india backed out
the gas offered through iran pipeline is 70% of furnance oil as opposed to Turkmenistan pipeline of 60%
however we will need it as its still cheaper than oil..

@Mosamania

I just saw this today, this is amazing news.

I just hope this money is used for good, and not stolen out of the country to swiss accounts.

Now waiting to the Ayatullahs to show up ....

Pakistan is always welcome :pakistan:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mosamania

I just saw this today, this is amazing news.

I just hope this money is used for good, and not stolen out of the country to swiss accounts.

Now waiting to the Ayatullahs to show up ....

I guess it's in form of oil and it will surely land in swiss accounts as there are already scams of huge percentage of oil being disappeared on the way from port to generation companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but can we afford black out like Chinese did? Japanies did? Vitenam did? No clearly we cant.. If our problems are not solved within days we will kick our governments out.. and start calling them with names. Because of people of Pakistan's psychi we need something to start with.

You're right Pakistan cannot afford to cut of from rest of the world but i also hope that our establishment makes sure Pakistan's interests are not compromised while Nawaz Sharif sells all of Pakistan.

Last time Saudi's invested in Pakistan energy and steel sector, our favorite CJ overturned all the deals.
Think of investors not as money growing tree's. It takes a lot of ground work to build investor confidence.

Yes you are right. But please consider that Pakistan Energy sector needs investment and it has some good return as well like if you are planning to turnoff CNG then we need refineries as well, although many are being built, but getting the 51% of the whole thermal plants of Pakistan will help us a lot in gaining the electricity 24/7 as well for Saudi's to have their investment that will be able to return them in good.

$15 B is big money...what cost Pakistan will have to pay for it.....

PMLN vision.... keep begging dont collect tax.

most likely to cut ties with Iran and support to americans in and out of Afghanistan. Wonder what services Nawaz Sharif gave which Zardari wasnt hmmm

$15 B is big money...what cost Pakistan will have to pay for it.....

Ma'Shah'Allah, thank you Saudi Arabia.

Just yesterday, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang landed in Pakistan, signed contracts to help Pakistan out of the energy crises and today we hear of this beautiful news.

Things can only get better Insha'Allah Aza'Wa-Jall now that there's a truer government in Pakistan about to be sworn in.

Pakistani people must take notice that these things are happening before Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has even been sworn in.

And yes, goodby Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline.

The world doesn't have any issues in supporting Pakistan and to help bring its economy up. Problem lies within the Pakistani politicians and corrupted leaders. The US investors in 1998 had put Pakistan in the list of the top 20 economies from the growth standpoint. That would mean billions of investment and growth. BUT....the nuclear events happened and sanctions were applied. Then 911 came around and the dictators used the money for their benefits. If you had a civilian government in Pakistan at that time who'd support the US on WOT, they could've gotten the country out of sanctions and could have received an economic aid package. Instead, the military dictator did what he knew (limited knowledge of course)....i.e. to negotiate military hardware!!! This is a PRIME example of why a democratic and eligible government is so important.

Between the US, China and Saudi Arabia's support and financial and investment assistance.......you can take your country to the top of the world and make it a peaceful, moderate and religiously tolerant example for other muslim countries. Only history will tell how the Pakistanis will use this opportunity for a better future.

The world doesn't have any issues in supporting Pakistan and to help bring its economy up. Problem lies within the Pakistani politicians and corrupted leaders. The US investors in 1998 had put Pakistan in the list of the top 20 economies from the growth standpoint. That would mean billions of investment and growth. BUT....the nuclear events happened and sanctions were applied. Then 911 came around and the dictators used the money for their benefits. If you had a civilian government in Pakistan at that time who'd support the US on WOT, they could've gotten the country out of sanctions and could have received an economic aid package. Instead, the military dictator did what he knew (limited knowledge of course)....i.e. to negotiate military hardware!!! This is a PRIME example of why a democratic and eligible government is so important.

Between the US, China and Saudi Arabia's support and financial and investment assistance.......you can take your country to the top of the world and make it a peaceful, moderate and religiously tolerant example for other muslim countries. Only history will tell how the Pakistanis will use this opportunity for a better future.

Unfortunately for Pakistan, it always has leg pullers en masse. This time around they're in the form of PTI and perhaps some military general in the near future. Every time the country steers towards democracy these democratic and undemocratic forces come into play and push the country into a dark hole once more.

Unfortunately for Pakistan, it always has leg pullers en masse. This time around they're in the form of PTI and perhaps some military general in the near future. Every time the country steers towards democracy these democratic and undemocratic forces come into play and push the country into a dark hole once more.

Why can't we just knuckle down and increase revenue through reducing corruption, making everything more efficient, tax collection etc. Bring in some investment alongside this.

Do we really need this money?

I don't know if Pakistan should accept the money, what are the conditions? Some members mentioned forgoing the pipeline...

Iran pipeline condition will definitely be there. I remember Qatar and some other Arab country were trying to compete for the contract. But to be honest i think all those countries including Iran are selling Gas at a very high price. The only good side in the pipeline is the fact that it will take our strategic cooperation forward

Could be for Agriculture commodities as well. SA has been leasing land in many countries. But then if this comes out to be true it won't be that bad. It would be more or less a trade. We get their Oil and they get our Food.

Military relations have been good for many many years. However Since PPP was in power, the relations were kept quiet. In the most recent case, there could be two things. One might be Saudis looking at us for training again. And second might be helping NATO get out of Afghanistan in 2014

I would put in Nuclear technology just in case. During the 90s, when Pakistan conducted it's tests, Saudi scientists visited our sites and tried to seek transfer of technology. For that matter they tried to convince us by giving Oil. If they try to do the same this time around, it will be a bad move

I don't think this bailout will help that much. Our country is already surviving somehow without all these kind of helps so we can definitely live without it. This country needs economic reforms, corruption less governance, tax collection and better tax to GDP ratio. All this could be done internally without taking any foreign help. If the help is that much needed, then take for above listed reforms as a start up, but again that cannot be done unless we have corruption free Govt. because most of the money will go down the drain due to high level corruption..

Nothing is for free in this world, and we already have experience what kind of strings will be attached with Saudi bailout. So its a bad move..

We were never an economic "power", yes, we were reasonably better-off than few of our neighbors.
Pakistan's economic performance was amongst the best in 50s. Even South Korea modeled their economic policymaking on 5 years planning pattern of Pakistan but they remained true to their policy objective subsequently and got transformed and Pakistan lagged behind because our plans were only confined to papers. The huge export surpluses that we accumulated during golder period of Korean war were consumed rather than re-investment into real sector. Similarly we tried another model of consumer led growth by artificially boosting consumers income but neglected that such models are unsustainable and would ultimately be busted once the real incomes remain stagnant. Our imported economic magician borrowed from international commercial banks at commercial rates and kept telling the nation that we have said bye bye to IMF's financing (which was much much cheaper than market rates of financing). We could have been much better than the most of the countries in the region. We have always been using borrowed economic managers and finding quick fixes. I am pleased to see that now at least two of the big parties (PTI and N) have come up with some sort of economic policy think tanks and em especially impressed by the views of new breed of politicians (Asad Umar, Miftah and Salman Shahbaz) and how they are talking about finding sustainable solutions.

I wish to see the day when we don't receive aid but grant it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom