What's new

古詩十九首 19 Ancient Chinese Poems No.1 - 行行重行行

First of all, it's 2 am here, I am tried, and this is all of the sudden, and you completely shift me into this. So I will do what I can.

This poem seems like talking about a weakling following to the battle with a General (or King, depends on what do you mean by 皇) The person was young, puffy eye, bushy tail kind, who is not as brave as you thought. He follow the general (again or king) and going north thru 7000 mile and conquer (渔阳), a place near White River in Beijing. And turn into a fierce fighter, to a point the barbarian wife hear the name and scare.

I don't really understand the last 2 line, I mean I do understand them by word, but I don't see how the last two line (Which talks about the death of 冠軍候 (which is a military honor of sort in west han giving to 霍去病, which credited for slaying 100,000 barbarian) where the last line is about how someone died a hundred time and still will not regret doing it for 漢殤帝 (Which is a king during East Han) related to the rest.

I am here to learn and if you can further clarify this, It would be much appreciated. I will probably be better when I have a more clearer head, but as I finished this post, it's 3 am here and I am too drunk for this.

EDIT 羽林郎 is another poem from East Han which is about a 15 years old hostess that refused a rich a-hole type person's advnace. Which read very much like a person who fight the powerful and win in the end. And I am too tired to care if this is related to your poem, but the general direction is the same.

@coffee_cup

Maybe you want to discuss how "fake" Chinese I am with me here? I am all ear
You really know nothing about China, I admit I overestimated you claimed Chinese background. You can stop claiming about knowing China for good.

Oh boy I've lived in the UAE all my life, I know my way around written and conversational Arabic as I studied in a school where Arabic was compulsory but not in my wildest dreams would I claim to understand Arabic poetry 😅

You really know nothing about China, I admit I overestimated you claimed Chinese background.

I admit I'm more internationalized, but because I actually did go to school in China I could understand that poem and even pick out a part that he totally misunderstood.

This is the critical part that anyone who can read Chinese at a high school level would be able to get but a Google translate wouldn't:

匈奴嫁妇失颜色,封狼居胥擒胡王。

Where is 狼居?who observed 匈奴嫁妇失颜色?

This isn't obvious if he understands the historical significance of this.

Huo Qubing was born in a senior noble family. He is young and handsome. Chinese people generally don't have a thick beard at the age of 18, let alone a tail. "烈候" refers to another general Wei Qing, "候" refers to Marquis, and "烈候" refers to Marquis Lie. Huo Qubing's first battle was to lead 800 cavalry soldiers as the subordinates of general Wei Qing from Dingxiang city (now Taiyuan, the capital of Shanxi Province) to participate in the Hexi war between the Han Dynasty and the Huns, which completely eliminated the Huns in Hexi area. More than 100000 heads of Hun cavalry were handed over by the Han army.

"笑随烈候出定襄" means that Huo Qubing laughed and followed general Wei Qing to attack the Hun army from Dingxiang city.
You do know Hun is the Barbarian army I wrote, right?

As well as the term, it's hard to guess what the term are if you did not give me any context to start with. It's like when I say

"四肢五脏,一觉一寝"

Now tell me what does it mean?

Am I talking about Bodyparts? Or am I talking about a person??

I really start to doubt anything you said about your Chinese experience before, where did you go to high school and college in China?

And again, no poem?

Last edited:
This poem seems like talking about a weakling following to the battle with a General (or King, depends on what do you mean by 皇)
This very first sentence already showed that this guy knows nothing about basic Chinese history at all , no need to read on further.

First of all, it's 2 am here, I am tried, and this is all of the sudden, and you completely shift me into this. So I will do what I can.

This poem seems like talking about a weakling following to the battle with a General (or King, depends on what do you mean by 皇) The person was young, puffy eye, bushy tail kind, who is not as brave as you thought. He follow the general (again or king) and going north thru 7000 mile and conquer (渔阳), a place near White River in Beijing. And turn into a fierce fighter, to a point the barbarian wife hear the name and scare.

I don't really understand the last 2 line, I mean I do understand them by word, but I don't see how the last two line (Which talks about the death of 冠軍候 (which is a military honor of sort in west han giving to 霍去病, which credited for slaying 100,000 barbarian) where the last line is about how someone died a hundred time and still will not regret doing it for 漢殤帝 (Which is a king during East Han) related to the rest.

I am here to learn and if you can further clarify this, It would be much appreciated. I will probably be better when I have a more clearer head, but as I finished this post, it's 3 am here and I am too drunk for this.

EDIT 羽林郎 is another poem from East Han which is about a 15 years old hostess that refused a rich a-hole type person's advnace. Which read very much like a person who fight the powerful and win in the end. And I am too tired to care if this is related to your poem, but the general direction is the same.

@coffee_cup

Maybe you want to discuss how "fake" Chinese I am with me here? I am all ear

Here you claim the poem (stated to be written about Huo Qubing 霍去病) had a statement about Emperor Shang of Han 漢殤帝. You claimed the poem contained a statement about not regretting fighting for Emperor Shang.

漢殤帝 Emperor Shang lived 200 years after Huo Qubing.

So no discussion on poem?

Beijingwalker sent me a picture of stone horse for the first time. That is the statue in front of general Huo Qubing's grave, which also represents the historical evaluation of Huo Qubing's life. If he wasn't Chinese, he couldn't think of this stone horse so soon. I'm sure beijingwalker is a Chinese.

As for nang2, he should be an overseas Chinese who has a lot of research on <金瓶梅>. His understanding of Chinese politics has great limitations, but I don't doubt his understanding of Chinese culture.

As for you, I won't comment.

@beijingwalker @FairAndUnbiased @M.HYang.

That is very ultimate, and if I am a fake, you can expose me once and for all, you can record the conversation, and if I am a fake, I am more than willing to apologise for it, and disappear from this site, how about it??

My Whatsapps. 0412645033. I talked to @Han_Patriot before so this is not the first time I did this.

Okay, any takers?

Oh I can speak Mandarin. just not as fluent.
I don't have watsapps, do you have Weixin

I admit I'm more internationalized, but because I actually did go to school in China I could understand that poem and even pick out a part that he totally misunderstood.

This is the critical part that anyone who can read Chinese at a high school level would be able to get but a Google translate wouldn't:

匈奴嫁妇失颜色,封狼居胥擒胡王。

Where is 狼居?who observed 匈奴嫁妇失颜色?

This isn't obvious if he understands the historical significance of this.
Yes. This poem "匈奴嫁妇失颜色" comes from the folk songs of the Huns.
People who don't understand the history of the Han Dynasty can't understand it at all.

the folk songs of the Huns:
失我焉支山,令我妇女无颜色。
失我祁连山,使我六畜不蕃息。

Last edited:
But nobody commented on your WhatsApp.

You claimed expertise in poetry. We didn't. You pointed this thread out to us.

You claimed great cultural authority based on your knowledge of poetry, not on being able to speak Chinese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom