What's new

2003 census poses question over remaining Jews in Pakistan

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Friday, January 26, 2007

2003 census poses question over remaining Jews in Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: The Pakistani government census on civil servants raised curiosity on Thursday about one of the Islamic Republic’s smallest and most low-profile religious minorities – the Jews.

The 2003 census, released on a government website last week, showed none of the 234,933 government employees declared themselves to be Jews, although 10 had done so in the last census three years ago.

However, for several people the real news was that there were still any Jews living in Pakistan, given Pakistan’s longstanding antipathy towards Israel and Zionism. Even a former minister for religious minorities was taken aback that there were Jews in the country.

“I never thought there were Jews in Pakistan. I have never seen them or met them, even when I was a minister,” remarked Colonel SK Tressler, who served in President Pervez Musharraf’s first cabinet in 1999. “I was also surprised to see the report that there were Jews in the government service, also.” Officials who conducted the census could not say whether the Jews had retired, converted, migrated, died, or simply chose to mark themselves in the ‘other religions’ category. reuters

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2007\01\26\story_26-1-2007_pg7_12

That's cause there are so many stupid people amongst us who vent their hatred onto Jews. Heck the amount of times I've heard Pakistanis criticize Hindus makes me sick to the gut. I feel such individuals are worse Pakistanis than those Hindus. If you can't see a Pakistani as a Pakistani but rather as Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Christian or perhaps Jew, then you just plain suck.

The idea of being a Pakistani has flown over the heads of some people. They are just existing as Pakistanis not living as one. Without solidly grasping onto this ideal its no wonder the Jews would feel threatened always wondering "What would happen if everyone new I was Jewish?"

Karachi btw is known to have about 200 Jewish Families. Of course for reasons mentioned above no one would go on record for it. My sympathies to these admirable people who still continue to be Pakistanis.

Our hatred is not toward jews. Like christens they are people of the book ad are told to be respected. It's isreal and zionaism muslims hate, not jews and yes there is a difference.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom