What's new

$3 billion from Saudi Arabia to the Lebanese National Army

Yemen? What you talking about? Yemen is no threat but a ally.

I don't think we could categorize them as an ally. But, at the same time they aren't an enemy.

We should give - Yemen - nothing anyway.

I don't think we could categorize them as an ally. But, at the same time they aren't an enemy.

We should give - Yemen - nothing anyway.

They are much more an natural ally and vital country than tiny Lebanon which is not even a neighbor. I don't think I need to talk about the ancient historical ties, cultural ties, religious ties, ancestral (first of all) etc. Basically half of all Saudi Arabians have ancestral ties to Yemen.

The current government is an ally. The Houthi cult not who form a tiny part of the "powers" in Yemen. Anyway this was just an example of those failed donations.

The money, far too many times, have been misspent wrongly.

In this instance as well since this will matter very little.

Syria is burning and are those that need it the most if the government wants to act like Santa Claus to non-neigbhors.

This is politics, Yemen gave us headache more than anyone else, supporting their Gov't is all what we have to do. Other than that I don't think Yemen can contribute to anything positive.

They are much more an natural ally and vital country than tiny Lebanon which is not even a neighbor. I don't think I need to talk about the ancient historical ties, cultural ties, religious ties, ancestral (first of all) etc. Basically half of all Saudi Arabians have ancestral ties to Yemen.

The current government is an ally. The Houthi's not which form a tiny part of the "powers" in Yemen. Anyway this was just an example of those failed donations.

The money, far too many times, have been misspent wrongly.

If you think these aids have been spent unwisely, then be it, let's agree to disagree.

You are not a Saudi Arabian at least so as I said your opinion is of no importance. You don't know what is going on anyway. Don't teach us what to believe when this news concern us and nobody else outside of those receiving this aid (Lebanese Army and Lebanon).

Then use something else than the New Zealand flag.

That's the flag of Australia.

And if it only concerns you and 'those receiving this aid (Lebanese Army and Lebanon)', then it does concern me because I am Lebanese.

Well let us agree to disagree. I don't think I ever said that any other country than our own must be supported more than necessary. I was referring to the Yemeni government anyway.

Much more so than tiny Lebanon which is not even a neighbor and located 1500 km away.

When was the last time we could use Lebanon for anything? When was the last time they donated anything to KSA?

You agree with those, often pointless, donations?

Should this amount not have been donated to the Syrians who we share much more in common with and who are actually nearly a neighbor? Especially considering the bloodbath that is going on while we speak?

Or what about our own house?

Lebanon is a fake entity anyway. Divided in 3-4 parts. Always will be like that.

Syria is 1000 times more important and most importantly in urgent need. If we help them with amounts like that and help win them the war they will always remember this. A guaranteed alive for a long time aside from already being a fellow Sunni Arab majority country.

Well let us agree to disagree. I don't think I ever said that any other country than our own must be supported more than necessary. I was referring to the Yemeni government anyway.

Much more so than tiny Lebanon which is not even a neighbor and located 1500 km away.

When was the last time we could use Lebanon for anything? When was the last time they donated anything to KSA?

You agree with those, often pointless, donations?

Should this amount not have been donated to the Syrians who we share much more in common with and who are actually nearly a neighbor? Especially considering the bloodbath that is going on while we speak?

Or what about our own house?

Lebanon is a fake entity anyway. Divided in 3-4 parts. Always will be like that.

Syria is 1000 times more important.

Of course Syria is more important. Lebanon's politics is merely a reflection of Syria's, and it's essential for Saudi security that it be a major player in Syria. If you had said that, I would have agreed with you completely.

But that's not what you said initially. You directed your criticism at financial contribution not directed to countries directly neighbouring you. That was simplistic to say.

That's the flag of Australia.

And if it only concerns you and 'those receiving this aid (Lebanese Army and Lebanon)', then it does concern me because I am Lebanese.

Your welcome to comment mate.

Developing Lebanon's army is very important element at the top of KSA's agendas.

Of course Syria is more important. Lebanon's politics is merely a reflection of Syria's, and it's essential for Saudi security that it be a major player in Syria. If you had said that, I would have agreed with you completely.

But that's not what you said initially. You directed your criticism at financial contribution not directed to countries directly neighbouring you. That was simplistic to say.

Yes, I disagree with such huge donations because they rarely amount to anything. This is not the thread for it but I could give you a dozen of examples of similar policies that amounted to nothing or very little. At the EXPANSE of our country and people. We don't have unlimited amounts of natural resources. Huge sums of money cannot be wasted like that.

Syria is another discussion than Lebanon. Lebanon is a tiny country. You say it yourself. Syria is dictating the events in Lebanon not the other way around. When Syria will be in peace Lebanon will be so as well.

You can't fully unite Lebanon anyway. One of the most divided countries on earth. You think that the Shia Lebanese will ever accept Sunni Lebanese rule or KSA meddling? Vice versa?

But let me make it clear. Not only do I disagree with this donation but also the policy of donations unless it is absolutely vital and it amounts to something on the ground.

Otherwise we are making ourselves a laughing stock.

A donation to the Syrian opposition right now is vital and necessary. I would have no problems with that.

Yes, nothing comes for free but that is why I am asking what we get in return for this donation and nobody answered? Yes, some nonsense about being encircled which I already answered.

@Halimi

Anyway sorry for sounding rude. Was not my intention. I have no problem with Lebanon or Lebanese people. Fellow Arab/Semitic and mostly Muslim people that we share more in common than the opposite. It was not my intention to belittle Lebanon either. One can't just look past Lebanon being a small country and a divided one with little geopolitical value.

My anger is more aimed at those kind of donations that I do not agree with and because I believe that this amount should have been used for the Syrian opposition if anything.

When you really care about things you can get quickly get heated up and if I did not care I would simply not comment.

I hope that you can understand this news from the Saudi Arabian perspective and understand my questions that are left unanswered largely. Other than countering HizAlShaitan which I do not believe is a organization that the Lebanese Army can fully remove since they have the support of the Shias and lastly Lebanon is already very divided. I see few benefits when Syria is around.

Anyway do you support HizbAlShaitan in Lebanon? Or are you a Christian Lebanese?

@al-Hasani

On one hand you call for fighting HZ and Iran with all you got, but on the another hand you whine over helping building a strong Lebanese army to counter HZ and yet Iranian presence in Lebanon. What do you want?:undecided:

It looks like they want to strengthen the Lebanese Army's power over Hezbollah's power.

Hezbollah has effectively been ruling Lebanon since 2005.

Apparently, France will be the major supplier. President Holland met today with King Abdullah in KSA -- and the discussion inevitably included this upcoming arms deal.

Brother, this is interfering with country tries affairs and will only cause way more tension and won't yield good results.

If you want Hezbollah to change it will change with reality on ground this can't achieve good results.

@al-Hasani

On one hand you call for fighting HZ and Iran with all you got, but on the another hand you whine over helping building a strong Lebanese army to counter HZ and yet Iranian presence in Lebanon. What do you want?:undecided:

This is not the right priority when a much, much bigger, populous and geopolitically important Syria is burning next door where that same enemy is very much involved.

Lastly the Lebanese army cannot be trusted. They are composed of all Lebanese people. You have people in the Lebanese army that are more loyal to HizbAlShaitan than their country. Why support such people? What do we get in return from Lebanon? Can this 3 billion dollars big donation help remove HizbAlShaitan? I doubt so when every Shia in Lebanon are big fans of them. Why not deal with Syria which is urgent first and then think about tiny Lebanon?

Making lavish donations rarely help in most cases. The government should have learnt this by now.

Can't the Lebanese find another donor country?

@al-Hasani

Because he knows more weapons won't solve the situation, just look at the Middle East. Eventually Hezbollah will realize their essence will become meaningless if it intends to dominate the country.

People are more influential than weapons.

This is not the right priority when a much, much bigger, populous and geopolitically important Syria is burning next door where that same enemy is very much involved.

Lastly the Lebanese army cannot be trusted. They are composed of all Lebanese people. You have people in the Lebanese army that are more loyal to HizbAlShaitan than their country. Why support such people? What do we get in return from Lebanon? Can this 3 billion dollars big donation help remove HizbAlShaitan? I doubt so when every Shia in Lebanon are big fans of them. Why not deal with Syria which is urgent first and then think about tiny Lebanon?

Making lavish donations rarely help in most cases. The government should have learnt this by now.

Can't the Lebanese find another donor country?

Not just this but many of these weapons can easily fall into Hezbollah's hands if Lebanese army raises tension with Hezbollah....we know who's going to run who over.

Lebanese army= normal citizens
Hezbollah= Jihadists

They will win such a fight and it's giving them excuses.

Because he knows more weapons won't solve the situation, just look at the Middle East. Eventually Hezbollah will realize their essence will become meaningless if it intends to dominate the country.

People are more influential than weapons.

I simply do not believe that KSA, a country that is not even a neighbor of Lebanon, can be influential enough to dictate the policy in Lebanon. The Shia Lebanese will not accept to be ruled by proxy from KSA just like the Sunnis of Lebanon don't accept to be ruled through proxy by Iran and their HizbAlShaitan they support and finance.

This will create another meaningless proxy war in tiny and geopolitically irrelevant Lebanon.

Let the Lebanese solve their own problems. Their country. If the Shia Lebanese want to be ruled by HizbAlShaitan then let them be ruled by them for the next 1000 years. As long as they don't start messing around with our allies or Sunni Arab brothers and sisters. That's where I draw the line. But right now they are simply not a priority.

Right now Syria is in need for help.

Hell, I would even have preferred to have donated this money to a faithful ally such as Jordan that is doing a remarkable job of hosting Syrian refugees and the country that suffers most economically from the Syrian conflict.

Anyway I am not the ruler but I will share my opinions on such news since it concerns me as a citizen of KSA.

Back
Top Bottom