What's new

63 Years On, India is Home to World's Biggest Population of Poor, Hungry, Illiterate

Most of these items, particularly milk and eggs, are beyond the reach of most Indians. India's per capita consumption of dairy is among the lowest in the world.

According to the FAO, the average dairy consumption of the developing countries is still very low (45 kg of all dairy products in liquid milk equivalent), compared with the average of 220 kg in the industrial countries. Few developing countries have per capita consumption exceeding 150 kg (Argentina, Uruguay and some pastoral countries in the Sudano-Sahelian zone of Africa). Among the most populous countries, only Pakistan, at 153 kg per capita, has such a level. In South Asia, where milk and dairy products are preferred foods, India has only 64 kg and Bangladesh 14 kg. East Asia has only 10 kg.

Haq's Musings: Solving Pakistan's Sugar Crisis

Milk consumption is benchmark for what?

I was going through this forum. Pakistan infrastructure is western standard. It amazes me that just one flood wiped out everything.

In India 2000 super cyclone most of Orissa/west bengal destroyed. more than 10000 people died. I have not seen Indian gov begging to International countries. Looks like pakistan people are entitled for AID. UN special session for begging.:hitwall::hitwall:

Most of these items, particularly milk and eggs, are beyond the reach of most Indians. India's per capita consumption of dairy is among the lowest in the world.

According to the FAO, the average dairy consumption of the developing countries is still very low (45 kg of all dairy products in liquid milk equivalent), compared with the average of 220 kg in the industrial countries. Few developing countries have per capita consumption exceeding 150 kg (Argentina, Uruguay and some pastoral countries in the Sudano-Sahelian zone of Africa). Among the most populous countries, only Pakistan, at 153 kg per capita, has such a level. In South Asia, where milk and dairy products are preferred foods, India has only 64 kg and Bangladesh 14 kg. East Asia has only 10 kg.

Haq's Musings: Solving Pakistan's Sugar Crisis

mr.haq a humble request... do u have anything nice to say abt india?? are we good in anything?? according to u we cant even have milk and eggs now..
no toilets, extreme poverty, 200000 farmer suicides, maoists, 7000 dying every day, 200 million going to bed hungry every night, only 10 years in school the list goes on..these figures r in mead now cos i have read the same thing over and over in almost all ur posts..

i sincerely hope u will reply

Milk consumption is benchmark for what?

I was going through this forum. Pakistan infrastructure is western standard. It amazes me that just one flood wiped out everything.

In India 2000 super cyclone most of Orissa/west bengal destroyed. more than 10000 people died. I have not seen Indian gov begging to International countries. Looks like pakistan people are entitled for AID. UN special session for begging.:hitwall::hitwall:

One of your fellow Indian posters talked about the price of milk, which I think is irrelevant for most Indians because very few can afford it. FAO does think that dairy is a big part of proper nutrition....which is sorely lacking in India.

As to the infrastructure in Pakistan, particularly roads and bridges, are far modern than India. And contrary to your claims, most of it is intact in spite of the floods.

As to international aid, it's a country's choice. Pakistan chooses to get international help rather allow its people suffer when there is an urgent humanitarian need.

In India, Hindutva bigots are much more concerned about their false national pride than they are of great human suffering in India where there is widespread hunger and malnutrition.

Let me tell you a story about how little Indian govt cares for its starving babies.

In 2009, the Indian government banned the import of Plumpy'Nut nutrient bar by UNICEF to treat moderate to severe acute malnutrition among Indian children. Defending the government action, Mr. Shreeranjan, the joint secretary of the Ministry of Women and Child Development, told the Reuters that "Nothing should come behind our back. Nothing should be done in the name of emergency when we have not declared an emergency."

Clearly, Mr. Sheeranjan does not see the food emergency that is causing almost half of India's children to be malnourished. According to UNICEF's State of the World's Children's report carried by the BBC, India has the worst indicators of child malnutrition in South Asia: 48% of under fives in India are stunted, compared to 43% in Bangladesh and 37% in Pakistan.

Haq's Musings: Malnutrition Challenge in India, Pakistan

One of your fellow Indian posters talked about the price of milk, which I think is irrelevant for most Indians because very few can afford it. FAO does think that dairy is a big part of proper nutrition....which is sorely lacking in India.

As to the infrastructure in Pakistan, particularly roads and bridges, are far modern than India. And contrary to your claims, most of it is intact in spite of the floods.

As to international aid, it's a country's choice. Pakistan chooses to get international help rather allow its people suffer when there is an urgent humanitarian need.

In India, Hindutva bigots are much more concerned about their false national pride than they are of great human suffering in India where there is widespread hunger and malnutrition.

Let me tell you a story about how little Indian govt cares for its starving babies.

In 2009, the Indian government banned the import of Plumpy'Nut nutrient bar by UNICEF to treat moderate to severe acute malnutrition among Indian children. Defending the government action, Mr. Shreeranjan, the joint secretary of the Ministry of Women and Child Development, told the Reuters that "Nothing should come behind our back. Nothing should be done in the name of emergency when we have not declared an emergency."

Clearly, Mr. Sheeranjan does not see the food emergency that is causing almost half of India's children to be malnourished. According to UNICEF's State of the World's Children's report carried by the BBC, India has the worst indicators of child malnutrition in South Asia: 48% of under fives in India are stunted, compared to 43% in Bangladesh and 37% in Pakistan.

Wow hindutva bigots!!! That's new from u. Now I learnt that we Indians can't afford milk as well. Thanks:hitwall:

And as for foreign aid weren't u arguing a few months back that India gets more than Pakistan?

Wow hindutva bigots!!! That's new from u. Now I learnt that we Indians can't afford milk as well. Thanks:hitwall:

And as for foreign aid weren't u arguing a few months back that India gets more than Pakistan?

India does get more foreign aid than most other countries of the world, including Pakistan. Unfortunately, very little of it finds its way to the starving babies.

About $2 a day being posted so many times I did a small calculation. Consider a family has 4 person living, $2 means 90 Rs per person is 360 Rs per day for family. This comes to be Rs 10800 per month a lot of people in India will take that as a good Income. Especially in rural areas where cost of living is less. So dear we are talking about people earning more than 10K as poor here. ROFL

India does get more foreign aid than most other countries of the world, including Pakistan. Unfortunately, very little of it finds its way to the starving babies.

Riaz bhai, At this moment of time you should be more concerned about how much aid is reaching your flood affected people.

I salute you for the concern you are showing for my people even in this very difficult time of yours. You have earned my respect buddy.

About $2 a day being posted so many times I did a small calculation. Consider a family has 4 person living, $2 means 90 Rs per person is 360 Rs per day for family. This comes to be Rs 10800 per month a lot of people in India will take that as a good Income. Especially in rural areas where cost of living is less. So dear we are talking about people earning more than 10K as poor here. ROFL

These are not nominal dollars...these are PPP dollars.

Each PPP dollar is about Rs. 17...so $2 is Rs. 34 in India.

As Times of India explains it:

The ADB report defines the middle class as those earning between $2 and $20 per person per day, measured in international dollars, ie adjusted for purchasing power parity. The ADB does add further nuance by splitting the middle class into three sub-sections: lower middle class ($2 - $4), middle middle ($4 - $10) and upper middle ($10 - $20).

The vast majority of the Indian middle class 82% of it, or 224 million people - however, fit into the first category. Since $1 PPP is Rs 17.256, this means that the vast majority of the Indian middle class earns between Rs 1035 and Rs 2070.

Read more: Most of Indian 'middle class' earns between Rs 1000-2000 - India - The Times of India Most of Indian 'middle class' earns between Rs 1000-2000 - India - The Times of India

what makes you think that UNDP did not considered all datas while preparing the report ?
even if the ignored it will not bring pakistans ranking better than india's because HDI is based on the performance of several areas and tha fact is 63 Years On, India is Home to World's Biggest Population of Poor, Hungry, Illiterate but india is still better than pakistan

HDI OF PAKISTAN _ 0.572
HDI OF INDIA - 0.612
RANKING

PAKISTAN -141
INDIA - 134

and the link which you provided also clearly shows that india is better than pakistan

results-
India rank 78
score 55.70

Pakistan 89
score 47.7

Interactive Infographic of the World's Best Countries - Newsweek
(works with pc)

Human Development Report 2009 - Country Fact Sheets - India
Human Development Report 2009 - Country Fact Sheets - Pakistan
What you say ' haq sir ' ??

It is shame for a country after 63 yr independence not able to handle a flood.

Here is begging of your foreign minister
Qureshi pleads for flood relief aid in UNGA
Qureshi pleads for flood relief aid in UNGA | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Economic outlook dire for Pakistan flood victims
Economic outlook dire for Pakistan flood victims - CNN.com

U.S, Pakistan warn of militant plots over floods
U.S, Pakistan warn of militant plots over floods | Reuters

Bangladesh has lot of floods and are able to handle properly.

Now talk about intact of infra after flood.

Here is the news
UN says Pakistan urgently needs more aid helicopters
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11040017
More helicopters are urgently needed to deliver aid to the millions of Pakistanis still cut off by devastating floods, says the UN's food agency.

Many roads have been blocked and bridges washed away by what UN head Ban Ki-moon called a "slow-motion tsunami".

You need to visit pakistan. Chest thumping will not give much needed food to the flood victim.

Last edited:

But there are substitutes there.. Isnt it. I mean I can comment about low per capita consumption of pulses in Pakistan. What will that prove in isolation?? Nothing.

However on an overall basis, the fact that the Hunger factors of the PHI indicator show that adult Pakistanis are more undernourished and underweight than Indians does reflect something. DOnt you think?

You speak as if Pakistan has a choice..:frown:

The Data from PHI indicator touted by yourself so many times

Php-p(Higher is better)

Undernourishment: India 0.4, Pakistan 0.083
Underweigth: India 0.177, Pakistan 0.129

How many times you visited India that you know so much about us??? Never...................rite? Sitting in your jhuggi, how can you claim that what is there in India or not.

Milk irrelevant for Indians.............Sorry to say, but you need treatment; seriously.

India: World's Largest Milk Producer
India has become the world's No. 1 milk producing country, with output in 1999-200 (marketing year ending March 2000) forecasted at 78 million tonnes. United States, where the milk production is anticipated to grow only marginally at 71 million tonnes, occupied the top slot till 1997. In the year 1997, India's milk production was on par with the U.S. at 71 million tonnes. The world milk production in 1998 at 557 million tonnes would continue the steady progress in recent years (see Table 1). Furthermore, the annual rate of growth in milk production in India is between 5-6 per cent, against the world's at 1 per cent. The steep rise in the growth pattern has been attributed to a sustained expansion in domestic demand, although per capita consumption is modest - at 70 kg of milk equivalent.

If most of Indians cannot afford milk, then from where the hell expansion in domestic demand came from???

Table 1. World's Top Milk Producers.
Countries 1998 1997 1996
India 74 71 68
United States 71 71 70
Russian Federation 33 34 36
Pakistan 22 21 20 (good work:tup:)
Brazil 22 21 19
Ukraine 14 15 16
Poland 12 12 11
New Zealand 12 11 10
Australia 10 9 9
EC 125 125 125
World (includes others) 557 549 542

For eggs, we are world's fifth largest egg producer.

Poultry is one of the fastest growing segments of the agricultural sector in India today. While the production of agricultural crops has been rising at a rate of 1.5 to 2 percent per annum, that of eggs and broilers has been rising at a rate of 8 to 10 percent per annum. As a result, India is now the world's fifth largest egg producer and the eighteenth largest producer of broilers. Driving this expansion are a combination of factors - growth in per capita income, a growing urban population and falling real poultry prices.

Same logic applies.............if we are so poor to afford, then why this is growing???

http://www.fao.org/WAIRDOCS/LEAD/x6170e/x6170e2k.htm

As far as price menu was concerned, that was to open your eye/eyes (I am not sure, as you can see only one side) that even in $2, you can afford easy living in India very easiliy. The real picture is quite different than your false remarks.

Now what a person buy from that amount, it is up to him/her. He can buy egg, milk, or Tobacco.........you cannot insturct them on how to use money.

See the poor of India below; these fellow preferred other things over eggs, milk, or anything else........

mobile-phones-rural-india.jpg

Yes...............In India, even poor can afford mobile. Now don't tell me that they are Hindutva bigots landlords insulting the real poors.:smokin:

Some more examples:

10_vogue.jpg

A child from a poor family modeled a Fendi bib, which costs about $100.

20089493426925.jpg

A man modeled a Burberry umbrella that costs about $200.

But you plz carry on with your Anti-India campaign:tup:

Last edited:

India gets loan, which we pay back....................Pakistan gets "charitable grants" from Arabs, US, Japan, China, and many other countries.

Yes; in second point, Pakistan is ahead. The aid they get goes to right hands...............that aid finds its way to them who are responsible for killing babies...........:sniper:

India gets loan, which we pay back....................Pakistan gets "charitable grants" from Arabs, US, Japan, China, and many other countries.

Yes; in second point, Pakistan is ahead. The aid they get goes to right hands...............that aid finds its way to them who are responsible for killing babies...........:sniper:

Most of foreign aid to any country, including India and Pakistan, is in the form of soft loans.

And India gets a lot more of it than most other countries of the world...certainly more than Pakistan.

In spite of all of the recent news about aid to Pakistan dominating the media, the fact remains that resurgent India has received more foreign aid than any other developing nation since the end of World War II--estimated at almost $100 billion since the beginning of its First Five-Year Plan in 1951. And it continues to receive more foreign aid in spite of impressive economic growth for almost a decade.

According to OECD group of the aid donor nations, the words "aid" and "assistance" refer to flows which qualify as Official Development Assistance (ODA) or Official Aid (OA). Such OA or ODA aid includes both grants and soft loans given by OECD nations and multi-lateral institutions like the World Bank, Asian Development Bank, IMF, etc.

Britain will spend over $1.5 billion during the next three years in aid to Shining India, a nuclear-armed power that sent a spacecraft to the moon recently, to lift "hundreds of millions of people" out of poverty, the British secretary of state for international development said last November, according to the Guardian newspaper.

Douglas Alexander, the first cabinet minister to visit India's poorest state Bihar, said that despite "real strides in economic growth" there were still 828 million people living on less than $2 a day in India.

UK's Department of International Development says if the UN's millennium development goals - alleviating extreme poverty, reducing child mortality rates and fighting epidemics such as Aids - are left unmet in India, they will not be met worldwide. Some 43% of children go hungry and a woman dies in childbirth every five minutes.

British Minister Alexander contrasted the rapid growth in China with India's economic success - highlighting government figures that showed the number of poor people had dropped in the one-party communist state by 70% since 1990 but had risen in the world's biggest democracy by 5%.

After the increase of British aid to $500 million (300 million pounds) a year, India will still remain the biggest recipient of Japan's official development assistance (ODA) in the near future. Since Japan's first ODA to India in 1958, the country has received monetary aid worth Rs 89,500 crore (Rs 895 billion) so far, according to Noro Motoyoshi, Japanese consul general in Kolkata. In 2008, Japan's ODA to India was up by more than 18% compared to 2007 at Rs 6916 crore (Rs 69.16 billion).

The World Bank said recently it will lend India $14 billion in soft loans by 2012 to help the country overhaul its creaking infrastructure and increase living standards in its poor states, according to Financial Express.

At the recent G20 meeting, India has asked the World Bank to raise the amount of money India can borrow as soft loans, generally considered aid, from the bank for its infrastructure projects, according to Times of India. At present, India can borrow up to $15.5 billion in soft loans as per the SBL (single borrower limit)in soft loans fixed by the Bank.

The Indian government has estimated it needs $500 billion over the five years to 2012 to upgrade infrastructure such as roads, ports, power and railways.

"Under the strategy, the bank will use lending, dialogue, analytical work, engagement with the private sector, and capacity building to help India achieve its goals," the World Bank said on its website.

The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development would lend $9.6 billion and the International Development Association would make available $4.4 billion of funding, according to India's Financial Express.

Only 30 per cent of India's state highways have two lanes or more, and the majority are in poor condition, the bank said. Electricity generation capacity has grown at less than 5 per cent in the past five years, much slower than overall economic growth of about 8 per cent over the same period.

The funds would also be used to help reduce poverty in seven low-income states; Bihar, Chhatisgarh, Jharkand, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh, the World Bank said.

The biggest direct aid donor countries to India are Japan and UK, as well as multiple international humanitarian aid programs supported through NGOs, in addition to the World Bank, UNICEF, UNESCO, UNDP, WFP, and a whole alphabet soup of organizations active in helping the teeming population of the poor, the illiterates, the hungry and and the destitute in India.

According to Japan's ministry of finance, India has received $33 billion in soft loans and a billion dollars in grants from Japan since 1997. In 2008, Japan gave India $2.5 billion in soft loans, and $5 million in grants. By contrast, Pakistan has received $10 billion in soft loans, and $2.3 billion in grants from Japan since 1999. In 2008, Japan gave Pakistan $500 million in soft loans and $63 million in grants.

Haq's Musings: Foreign Aid Continues to Pour in Resurgent India

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom