What's new

63 Years On, India is Home to World's Biggest Population of Poor, Hungry, Illiterate

The title is misleading unfortunetly, India's economy is growing rapidly,
One day India's poor will be middle class, God there is so much jealousy in this forum it has got to stop honestly.

Unfortunately, the only two countries that are worse off than India in South Asia are Bangladesh and Nepal . Whether you look at poverty, hunger and illiteracy, BD lags India, which itself is poorer and hungrier than the poorest of the poor sub-Saharan Africans.

OPHI 2010 country briefings on India and Pakistan contain the following comparisons of multi-dimensional (MPI) and income poverty figures:

India
MPI= 55%,Under$1.25=42%,Under$2=76%,India_BPL=29%

Pakistan
MPI=51%,Under$1.25=23%,Under$2=60%,Pakistan_BPL=33%

Lesotho MPI=48%,Under$1.25=43%,Under$2=62%,Lesotho_BPL=68%

China
MPI=12%,Under$1.25=16%,Under$2=36%,China_BPL=3%

Among other South Asian nations, MPI index measures poverty in Bangladesh at 58 per cent and 65 per cent in Nepal.

Haq's Musings: New Index Finds Indians Poorer Than Africans and Pakistanis

India

Pakistan

Do these bolded parts tell you something..or do you have your "musings" for that also.?

Unfortunately, the only two countries that are worse off than India in South Asia are Bangladesh and Nepal . Whether you look at poverty, hunger and illiteracy, BD lags India, which itself is poorer and hungrier than the poorest of the poor sub-Saharan Africans.

OPHI 2010 country briefings on India and Pakistan contain the following comparisons of multi-dimensional (MPI) and income poverty figures:

India

Pakistan

China

Among other South Asian nations, MPI index measures poverty in Bangladesh at 58 per cent and 65 per cent in Nepal.

*facepalm*

Mr.haq's policy _ '' if you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will evanualy come to belive it '' great..na..

but dont forget '' you may fool somebody every time and you may fool every body some time but YOU CANNOT FOOL EVERY BODY EVERY TIME.. AND THE TIME HAS COME..End of journey mr.haq.

India

Pakistan

China

Oh Haq........you are back!!!

I thought you got heart attack after reading my previous post...........thank God, you are alive. Now Indian poors can party........as their Angel is still alive to raise their voice.

But Bhagat and I have some complaints..........you didn't reply our posts. Don't you even consider them worth a reply:frown:

India

Pakistan

China

India now has more rich than poor
Press Trust Of India
Posted on Aug 01, 2010 at 16:34 | Updated Aug 02, 2010 at 12:32

New Delhi: The growing economy has spun a wheel of fortune for Indians, with high income households outnumbering those in the low category for the first time at the end of 2009-10, according to estimates made by think-tank NCAER.

India has 46.7 million high income households as compared to 41 million in the low income category, the National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) estimates on earnings and spendings have revealed.

"For the first time, the number of high income households is set to exceed the number of poor households in 2009-10," the NCAER said, adding that the middle income class continued to grow.

Households earning less than Rs 40,000 per annum (at 2001-02 prices) are dubbed as low income, whereas those with earnings over Rs 1.80 lakh fall in the high income category.

Those earning between Rs 45,000-Rs 1.80 lakh per annum are considered middle income households, whose number surged to 140.7 million out of the total of 228.4 Indian million families at the end of 2009-10.

Thus, the NCAER survey confirms that 62 per cent of Indian households belong to the middle class, which is the target of most consumer goods firms.

"The wheel of fortune continues to spin in India, with each level of household income set to move a notch higher by the end of the decade," the survey on spending and earning patterns since 1985-86 said.

The Indian economy grew at above 9 per cent between 2005-06 and 2007-08. After slowing down in 2008-09 and 2009-10, it is projected to expand at 8.5 per cent in the current fiscal.

The data shows how the country has come a long way in the last 10 years in raising the income standards. In 2001-02, out of the total of 188.2 million households, the number of high income families was only 13.8 million, whereas those in the low income category stood at 65.2 million.

Referring to the middle class, the study said, "Their growing clout becomes even more apparent when one looks at the ownership patterns of households goods. Nearly 49 per cent of all cars are owned by the middle class, compared to just 7 per cent by the rich."

Similarly, 53 per cent of all air conditioners are owned by middle class homes and nearly 46 per cent of all credit cards are to be found in these households.

Today we all know that you have a connection with Allah and Allah heard you................and Indian poors are getting richer now.:smokin:

Last edited:
Oh Haq........you are back!!!

I thought you got heart attack after reading my previous post...........thank God, you are alive. Now Indian poors can party........as their Angel is still alive to raise their voice.

But Bhagat and I have some complaints..........you didn't reply our posts. Don't you even consider them worth a reply:frown:

U will get a reply..a post on $2 dating 2005

The guy won't give up. I wish someone would count how many times he has posted the same thing in all of his " I love India's poor" threads!!!! Only if I had the time

U will get a reply..a post on $2 dating 2005

The guy won't give up. I wish someone would count how many times he has posted the same thing in all of his " I love India's poor" threads!!!! Only if I had the time

Yes..............His love for $2 is quite evident.:cool:

I have one suggestion..........You donate $1 to Mr. Haq and I will donate $1 too.............So that Mr. Haq get $2 and his status can be shifted, at least, from Poor to Middle Class............:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Other members can donate too; so that he can move towards Upper Middle Class and then Higher Income Class.:smokin:

Thanx a lot riaz. Allah ne akhir tumari sun li. . Indian poor getn richer day by day. . .keep praying i mean posting.

Back
Top Bottom