What's new

A new Huawei phone has defeated US chip sanctions against China

All made possible thanks to US sanctions. Without US sanctions, the market conditions would not have been there for Chinese Fab development.

All made possible thanks to US sanctions. Without US sanctions, the market conditions would not have been there for Chinese Fab development.
Very true, no one in China would invest hugely on something which pays back so slowly, business only want to make quick money.

Bloomberg say Huawei building own fab.

I incline to believe Huawei is not using SMIC, but rather Huawei likely have some equipment and outsource SMIC engineers, on the eventual goal of becoming yet another Intel.

Reason is simple. SMIC cannot sell to Huawei under US restrictions.

In this scenario, we see how useless Intel engineers are. Intel engineers are Indians and till now, still cannot make 10nm nicely.

Huawei is now 7nm.

I incline to believe Huawei is not using SMIC, but rather Huawei likely have some equipment and outsource SMIC engineers, on the eventual goal of becoming yet another Intel.

Reason is simple. SMIC cannot sell to Huawei under US restrictions.

In this scenario, we see how useless Intel engineers are. Intel engineers are Indians and till now, still cannot make 10nm nicely.

Huawei is now 7nm.

But Intel 10nm equal to TSMC 7nm in term of number of transistor, doesn't it?

But Intel 10nm equal to TSMC 7nm in term of number of transistor, doesn't it?

That is right but Intel 10nm has a big heating problem.

Also Huawei just learn make IC for about 1-2 years without having access to EDA, fab equipments. And they can make 7nm.

Chips alone won't do it. Huawei needs google services access OR create their own which is as popular globally.

I remember there is a verse in the Bible that talks about a mischievous boy (USA) who kept pestering an old man (Soviet Union/Japan). Instead of scolding the young boy, the old man actually praised him. "Very good boy, here is a nickel. Now, you see that strong man over there (China), why don't you go pester him instead?! (I'm sure he will be just like me giving you plenty more nickels after you've riled him up good.)" You know how the story ends. The boy probably got clobbered by the strong man...

E-woks defeating the Empire, that happened in the Korean War. A young boy (newly formed country less than 300 years old) pestering an ailing old man thinking he strong, then go bothers a physically strong and healthy man. Such things never happened in the history of mankind b4...

Last edited:
7 nm tech, that came back in 2020?

Meanwhile apple is releasing 3nm tech this fall.

Chips alone won't do it. Huawei needs google services access OR create their own which is as popular globally.
China neither has those. Huawei can't compete in the free market against the likes of Samsung or Apple. Chinese chips are behind the West can build. Especially now with Germany and the US joining in the market.

You can't sell phone in the West without access to google.

Well, well. Turns out the Chinese is getting new sanction for stealing US technology.

US representative Mike Gallagher, chair of the US House of Representatives committee on China, called on the US Commerce Department on Wednesday to end all technology exports to Huawei and SMIC, according to Reuters.

Gallagher was quoted as saying SMIC may have violated US sanctions, as this chip likely could not be produced without US technology.

“The time has come to end all US technology exports to both Huawei and SMIC to make clear any firm that flouts US law and undermines our national security will be cut off from our technology,” he said.

Shares in SMIC, which stands for Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation, sank 8.3% in Shanghai and 7.6% in Hong Kong on Thursday. Hua Hong Semiconductor, China’s second largest chip foundry, tumbled 5.8%.

China neither has those. Huawei can't compete in the free market against the likes of Samsung or Apple. Chinese chips are behind the West can build. Especially now with Germany and the US joining in the market.

You can't sell phone in the West without access to google.
I will keep quiet until Huawei shows their mojo. Until then feel free to hope China will fail. When we promise something, China normally delivers.

Back
Top Bottom