What's new

A Soldier’s Eid

Are we seriously going to talk about natural calamities now? Remember 2005 earthquakes? 79000 casualities.

Tragic, in fact heartbreaking as this tragedy was, but I'm sure you will agree that most of my citizens didn't exactly died in the line of duty.

^^ As one Molecular Microbiologist who was once part of PDF said, 'we too risk our lives when we experiment with dangerous bacterium, and hence the soldiers deserve no special treatment.'

However, on a serious note i must say that this superiority/inferiority complex is just a figment of some minds and as of today no soldier gives any consideration to the same and thus we should curb such tendencies. Nevertheless, at the same time though VCheng is right in saying that "Duty, devotion, hardship and sacrifice are NOT exclusive to soldiers", i think i wouldnt be wrong either if i say duty, devotion, hardship and sacrifice sure is 'specific' to those in the profession of arms.

My dear, as the story goes, during WW2 recruitment drive, a mother accompanying her hopeful son for moral support, tells the recruiting officer, "i have heard, Japan is a hard man, but my king of kabbadi son doesn't give a quarter either " !!! ... signs of time i guess.

NO ONE IS SUPERIOR TO ANYONE!!!!

Everyone has its own job to dwell upon. Some have it by choice, others have them enforced upon them because of circumstances. A guy cleaning windows over a sky scrapper is also at risk, and so is the one who changes your light bulbs when they blow up, but for someone who despite of having a choice to join a profession that was more stable, predictable and easy, decides to wear a uniform knowing fully well that just after 2 years (of training), he will be landing in a war zone (FATAville) and might get killed, i think he deserves a little respect, no?

Agreed 100%, with the observation that soldiers are soldiers by choice too.

............Here, let me give you an example, when i was at Siachen, the second post i got sent to lay on a very sharp gradient of the mountain. Every time one of us had to use the so called bathroom, we had to repel a rope (if you know what i mean, with the D rings tied to you and stuff) and then make a sprint just before entering the jerry can walled bathroom because the indian sniper effectively covered a 6-feet-wide gap (as viewed from the enemy's side) which existed between the gully and the bathroom because of the configuration of the ground and finally, if you were successful in crossing the Pul-e-Siraat and dodging a sniper's bullet, you had to empty your balder while standing on slippery as hell ice (not snow) floor while you held/tied a rope on one of your arms, because there was no commode but a hole dug in the ice through which your crown jewels either from your balder or bowels dropped down in the abyss that ended at the foothills of the mountain you were occupying - a little slip and the next thing you would see after a fall of approx 400 feet was your head drowning inside your own shyt at the base of the mountain - that is, if you are still alive when you fall down from 400 feet.

It is not often that I am rendered speechless........ :D

Seriously though, your story proves that a political solution is long overdue, to resolve a situation where soldiers have to risk their crown jewels like that for their excretory function while serving as target practice.

i wish this article of xeric appears in any of the newspaper DAWN, The News or in Tribune express. like najam article appeared in tribune.!

Eid of troops at the front-line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistani military or ISPR need to create dramas or movies on such topics; to increase awareness about life and sacrifices given by people of Pakistan in the war against terror. There are stories everywhere, from attacks on schools, universities, public places, mosques and military installations to the front lines...all they need is to convert them into well directed emotional movies. Americans have made dozens of movies, dramas and music videos on Afghanistan and Iraq, which fairly helped them in changing opinion of their countrymen.

Pakistani military or ISPR need to create dramas or movies on such topics; to increase awareness about life and sacrifices given by people of Pakistan in the war against terror. There are stories everywhere, from attacks on schools, universities, public places, mosques and military installations to the front lines...all they need is to convert them into well directed emotional movies. Americans have made dozens of movies, dramas and music videos on Afghanistan and Iraq, which fairly helped them in changing opinion of their countrymen.

Very true, Sir..I wonder, why they dont make serials on Army life anymore? Dramas like Alpha bravo charlie and Sunehray din were such huge hits at their time.. It would work wonders for Army's PR, if they make such serials again..Also, they must be aired on some popular dramas channel like humtv....I know there were dramas like Faseel-e-Jan series, but then there was a different(true) story each time..When u watch same characters for 15-16 epis, u feel connected with them...We still remember Faraz, Kashif, and Gulsher from Alpha bravo charlie.....Ppl used to idealise them.... I wish they make similar serials again.. I am soo sure, it would again boost Army's image in public.. which is so much needed n these days...bcoz our news channels make every effort to hurt the image of army in public eyes unnecessarily...

Here, let me give you an example, when i was at Siachen, the second post i got sent to lay on a very sharp gradient of the mountain. Every time one of us had to use the so called bathroom, we had to repel a rope (if you know what i mean, with the D rings tied to you and stuff) and then make a sprint just before entering the jerry can walled bathroom because the indian sniper effectively covered a 6-feet-wide gap (as viewed from the enemy's side) which existed between the gully and the bathroom because of the configuration of the ground and finally, if you were successful in crossing the Pul-e-Siraat and dodging a sniper's bullet, you had to empty your balder while standing on slippery as hell ice (not snow) floor while you held/tied a rope on one of your arms, because there was no commode but a hole dug in the ice through which your crown jewels either from your balder or bowels dropped down in the abyss that ended at the foothills of the mountain you were occupying - a little slip and the next thing you would see after a fall of approx 400 feet was your head drowning inside your own shyt at the base of the mountain - that is, if you are still alive when you fall down from 400 feet.

Ah! That story brings back memories! I had to spend a few days with a Commando Battalion on an isolated hill on the Pak-Afghan border as we mapped previously unknown passes that could be used for infiltration. Harsh days they were! About 18 (six officers) people lived in a room not larger than a small apartment, it was the dead of winter, the rock and mud walls did little to stop the cold gusts of wind that bit to the bone. It got exceptionally cold one day and we were out of firewood, none had been delivered due to the sleet on the mountain slope that made mules slip. It was a tough decision but we wasted our last gallon of kerosene by dumping it and storing our water supply in that ******, smelly, oily can and burnt our plastic bottles instead (Before you ask why we did not burn the kerosene, let me tell you that bottles last longer, kerosene fire lasts seconds without more fuel). For the next two days we drank a mixture of kerosene and water before we were airlifted some water/fuel/firewood and I was airlifted out. It was a tough few days and I won't be surprised if that drink gave me liver cirrhosis but that's how our boys have to live when times demand.......

Ah! That story brings back memories! I had to spend a few days with a Commando Battalion on an isolated hill on the Pak-Afghan border as we mapped previously unknown passes that could be used for infiltration. Harsh days they were! About 18 (six officers) people lived in a room not larger than a small apartment, it was the dead of winter, the rock and mud walls did little to stop the cold gusts of wind that bit to the bone. It got exceptionally cold one day and we were out of firewood, none had been delivered due to the sleet on the mountain slope that made mules slip. It was a tough decision but we wasted our last gallon of kerosene by dumping it and storing our water supply in that ******, smelly, oily can and burnt our plastic bottles instead (Before you ask why we did not burn the kerosene, let me tell you that bottles last longer, kerosene fire lasts seconds without more fuel). For the next two days we drank a mixture of kerosene and water before we were airlifted some water/fuel/firewood and I was airlifted out. It was a tough few days and I won't be surprised if that drink gave me liver cirrhosis but that's how our boys have to live when times demand.......

Ah yes, nevermind the cirrhosis, that kerosene explains why your speech is often so fiery! :D

Very true, Sir..I wonder, why they dont make serials on Army life anymore? Dramas like Alpha bravo charlie and Sunehray din were such huge hits at their time.. It would work wonders for Army's PR, if they make such serials again..Also, they must be aired on some popular dramas channel like humtv....I know there were dramas like Faseel-e-Jan series, but then there was a different(true) story each time..When u watch same characters for 15-16 epis, u feel connected with them...We still remember Faraz, Kashif, and Gulsher from Alpha bravo charlie.....Ppl used to idealise them.... I wish they make similar serials again.. I am soo sure, it would again boost Army's image in public.. which is so much needed n these days...bcoz our news channels make every effort to hurt the image of army in public eyes unnecessarily...

Finances is the main problem. Media/PR directorates of armed forces have a fixed budget for the whole year. They have to make calendars/posters, models and other items in large numbers. In case of ISPR, each foreign delegation that meets COAS/CJCSC is given those gift items as a good will gesture.

Their remaining budget is for conducting events, making documentaries/songs etc. Making dramas require too much time, money, hiring media men and equipment (including studio services). Without the help of private partnership, its not easy to get it done. ABC you mentioned, was made with the help of PTV, Wilco and Sherdil (PAF) had most input from private studios....they changed its theme to more glamorized military +romantic theme, resulting total mess!

Now, what I am saying is that ISPR should work on projects like Bomb.Patrol.Afghanistan. Putting the camera team inside army barracks and vehicles and recording each and every spicy event of the day...adding some emotions and some drama. If done with perfection; it will be a massive hit!

I would agree to a certain extent but the difference is, say, a doctor saves lives while their is seldom any risk to his own, where as a soldier puts his own life on line for the sake of others. !!!

A doctor saves many more lives than a soldier does. More often than not without taking lives.

And there are many doctors who are soldiers as well.

There are also many doctors out there who regularly go into harm's way to save lives, be it in the armed forces, on ships and rigs, in natural disasters and calamities, in epidemics and pandemic outbreaks, in civil strife, or wherever else someone is hurting or dying.

Respecting one never needs to come in the way of respecting the other. It is not a competition.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom