What's new

Agni-VI all set to take shape

Vasily Zaytsev

Reaction score
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/agnivi-all-set-to-take-shape/article4

Agni-VI all set to take shape
T. S. Subramanian

agni_5_1352906g.jpg

In this April 19, 2012 file photo, Agni-V on its launch pad at the Wheeler Island off the Orissa coast. The Defence Research and Development Organisation is developing Agni-VI with multiple nuclear warheads, which can reach targets 6,000 km away. Photo: V.V.Krishnan

05_agni_1352902g.jpg

It can deliver four or six warheads 6,000 km away

Agni-VI with multiple nuclear warheads, which can reach targets 6,000 km away, is all set to be developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

Only in April last, it carried out the maiden launch of Agni-V, which has a range of more than 5,000 km.

So far, all the strategic missiles developed by the DRDO — Agni-I, II, III, IV and V, and the submarine-launched K-15 and its land-based version Shourya — can carry only single nuclear warhead. The DRDO’s tactical missiles and supersonic cruise missile BrahMos can carry one conventional warhead each.

“We have started working on the multiple independently targetable re-entry vehicles [MIRV] version [Agni-VI]. It will carry four or six warheads depending upon their weight,” DRDO missile technologists said. “The constraint is the vehicle’s mass.”

Although the Union government is yet to sanction Agni-VI project, the DRDO has done all the enabling studies, finalised the missile’s design and started working on the engineering part. It had also figured out how to anchor four or six warheads in the vehicle, how to disperse them and the pattern of their dispersal. The warheads could be released in an order, one after another. If one warhead were to hit a place, another could fall 100 km away from it, the technologists said.

Both Agni-V and Agni-VI have three stages, all powered by solid propellants, and their diameter is two metres. And the comparison ends there.

While Agni-V weighs 50 tonnes and is 17.5 metres long, Agni-VI belongs to the 65-70-tonne class and will be 20 metres long. “Agni-VI will be a massive vehicle,” the technologists said. It was too early to say when its first launch would take place. It would be road-mobile and blast off from trucks with launching platforms.

;)

There is some confusion here, some one knowledged could clear this Agni V was already stated to be capable of carrying MIRV and road mobile. Why go for just a 1000 km increase ??

There is some confusion here, some one knowledged could clear this Agni V was already stated to be capable of carrying MIRV and road mobile. Why go for just a 1000 km increase ??

There is multiple independantly targetable vehicle MIRV which needs higher altitude,and much more electronics with the RV-
Hence increasing the weight and complexity of Warhead assembly...
Thats why we see increase in size weight of Agni-6.
Since the missile will have to follow a higer trajectory for being able to 'dispense' warheads at intervals and a manoeverable RV bus....its only logical that they also increased the maximum range..

Previous Agni may be capable of carrying multiple warheads,but couldnt independantly target them..
All were released at almost same time like a cluster bomb and hitting the same general area.
This approach increases the probability if hit,as some warheads may be neutralized by ABM.

There is multiple independantly targetable vehicle MIRV which needs higher altitude,and much more electronics with the RV-
Hence increasing the weight and complexity of Warhead assembly...
Thats why we see increase in size weight of Agni-6.
Since the missile will have to follow a higer trajectory for being able to 'dispense' warheads at intervals and a manoeverable RV bus....its only logical that they also increased the maximum range..

Previous Agni may be capable of carrying multiple warheads,but couldnt independantly target them..
All were released at almost same time like a cluster bomb and hitting the same general area.
This approach increases the probability if hit,as some warheads may be neutralized by ABM.

The altitude is enough, they just need a bigger (wider) and heavier payload section for the MIRV bus, hence the missile needs to have more thrust. Agni-V, in its present configuration, cannot carry multiple warheads.

So we might see a new warhead design by DRDO, and designs for RVs.

the range looks quite less.should have been atleast 8000km.

I know mate, but what i wanted to highlight is the point that there is very little even an advanced ABM can do against MIRV.

I hope you maintain your position after Pakistan introduces MIRVs too. (no trolling intended)

Good news !!

After recent progress in missiles by DRDO, I can take this new by confidence :)

I am pretty sure the increase in range is much more than 1000 KM.An increase of weight by 30 - 40 % would easily put this missile in the 10000 KM category. DRDO is trolling everyone.

It would be interesting to see how Agni-6 can be road mobile if it is 65-70 tons missile.

Missile weighing 50+ tons can not be canisterd.

I think the actual weight of Agni 6 is around 45 to 48 tons

BTW I was nearly right about dimensions of Agni 6.

I said it may have length of 19.5 M and 2.1 Diameter and OP says it has 2M diameter and 20 Meter length.

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...6S145X5JjHRi8i6JlAG63Bw&bvm=bv.41867550,d.bmk

New Generation of Agni Missile lightweight composite motor

Agni 4 - 20 meters - 17 tons - 3500 Kms range

Agni 5- 17 meters - 50 tons - 5000 Kms range
An increase of weight by 200% yet the range has only increased by 40% (clearly shows DRDO is not telling the real range)

Agni 6 - 20 meters - 70 tonnes - 6000 Kms
Again 40% increase in weight and only increase of range by 20%

The maths just doesn't add up. Anyone has an explanation other than the one that DRDO is trolling big time.

Once again DRDO is downplaying its actual range,to suppress international reaction.
A-5 5800km missile as per DRDO,but by chinese experts it has more 8000km range.

65-70 tonne A-6 must have range more 10000km

I am pretty sure the increase in range is much more than 1000 KM.An increase of weight by 30 - 40 % would easily put this missile in the 10000 KM category. DRDO is trolling everyone.

New Generation of Agni Missile lightweight composite motor

Agni 4 - 20 meters - 17 tons - 3500 Kms range

Agni 5- 17 meters - 50 tons - 5000 Kms range
An increase of weight by 200% yet the range has only increased by 40% (clearly shows DRDO is not telling the real range)

Agni 6 - 20 meters - 70 tonnes - 6000 Kms
Again 40% increase in weight and only increase of range by 20%

The maths just doesn't add up. Anyone has an explanation other than the one that DRDO is trolling big time.

The Agni-VI is also meant to deliver MIRVs. Now if each RV weighs around 500 kg (nuclear device + warhead electronics), the payload of 4 RVs could be around 2000 kgs. And adding up the weight of the MIRV bus, the correction systems and structural weight of the payload section amounts to way too much payload for the ranges you guys are mentioning.

We are looking at delivering a ~2500 kg payload (for 4 MIRVs), and for that the maximum range estimates of 6000 km are correct in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom