What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

I see that Altay has laser warning system. That's great for increasing survivability.
Why Altay do not have radar warning system like South Korean MBT?

I see that Altay has two optic module, for commander and for gunner.
Are they coordinating?
i.e.
  • Commander optic continuously search for targets, if target found it then transferred to gunner optic for target locking while commander optic continue on searching targets.
  • If one of them (any of them) is broken, the other one can replace its function.
  • They can switch role.

I see that Altay has laser warning system. That's great for increasing survivability.

Are they coordinating?
i.e.
  • Commander optic continuously search for targets, if target found it then transferred to gunner optic for target locking while commander optic continue on searching targets.
  • If one of them (any of them) is broken, the other one can replace its function.
  • They can switch role.

With all respect, before you ask question have you ever thought why the most modern tank would not have those options?

We have posted many times information about all known aspects of the tank so if you bother yourself a little bit with reading on the tread before posting that would be highly appreciated.

Are they coordinating?
i.e.
  • They can switch role.

The Altay will (at least) have the systems that are in the Turkish Leopard 2NG Upgrade Package,

Power Pack Prototype Development for the Altay Main Battle Tank to be Completed in 6 Years

Top priority for the project is the use, to the greatest extent possible, of existing domestic facilities and capabilities for the original design, development, prototype production, test and certification of the power pack to be utilized as part of the Altay Main Battle Tank. The project calls for the acquisition of technical support from abroad where required. Tümosan general manager Mr. Kurtuluş Öğün said that establishing the infrastructure necessary for the development of the diesel engine and the hydro-mechanical transmission would play a lead role in Turkey’s industrialization efforts and its quest for competency, and added “since 2004, we have been investing in research and development efforts in the area of diesel engine and transmission technologies, and we are pleased that we’ll be using the knowledge we have accumulated towards the realization of the Altay Main Battle Tank Power pack Project.” Mr. Öğün said that the development program would help to minimize Turkey’s foreign dependence with respect to the modernization and production of wheeled and tracked vehicles for the Turkish Armed Forces, and would also eliminate third-country export restrictions. Mr. Öğün added that the development program would also contribute to the efforts towards indigenous production in the civilian sector, especially for diesel engine and transmission development in the Turkish automotive industry.
The development process targets Tümosan gaining design capability for diesel engines in the 300 to 1,600 horsepower range and associated hydro-mechanical transmissions. The Altay Main battle tank power pack is comprised of the engine component (V-type, turbo diesel, water-cooled, rated for operations in the ambient temperature range of -45 °C to +49 °C), the transmission (electronic-control system, hydrodynamic/hydrokinetic, 1,500 horsepower), cooling system, air intake system and exhaust system.
The program will entail two phases – the prototype development phase and mass-production. Defence industry sources anticipate a five to six-year period for the completion of the first phase. Following successful completion of the contract, the second phase (i.e. the mass production of the power pack) would then be negotiated by the Defence Industry Executive Committee at that time.
----------

BTW the transmission type they are looking into according to the article, is the same type used in Japan's Type-10 MBT

Last edited:
Power Pack Prototype Development for the Altay Main Battle Tank to be Completed in 6 Years

Top priority for the project is the use, to the greatest extent possible, of existing domestic facilities and capabilities for the original design, development, prototype production, test and certification of the power pack to be utilized as part of the Altay Main Battle Tank. The project calls for the acquisition of technical support from abroad where required. Tümosan general manager Mr. Kurtuluş Öğün said that establishing the infrastructure necessary for the development of the diesel engine and the hydro-mechanical transmission would play a lead role in Turkey’s industrialization efforts and its quest for competency, and added “since 2004, we have been investing in research and development efforts in the area of diesel engine and transmission technologies, and we are pleased that we’ll be using the knowledge we have accumulated towards the realization of the Altay Main Battle Tank Power pack Project.” Mr. Öğün said that the development program would help to minimize Turkey’s foreign dependence with respect to the modernization and production of wheeled and tracked vehicles for the Turkish Armed Forces, and would also eliminate third-country export restrictions. Mr. Öğün added that the development program would also contribute to the efforts towards indigenous production in the civilian sector, especially for diesel engine and transmission development in the Turkish automotive industry.
The development process targets Tümosan gaining design capability for diesel engines in the 300 to 1,600 horsepower range and associated hydro-mechanical transmissions. The Altay Main battle tank power pack is comprised of the engine component (V-type, turbo diesel, water-cooled, rated for operations in the ambient temperature range of -45 °C to +49 °C), the transmission (electronic-control system, hydrodynamic/hydrokinetic, 1,500 horsepower), cooling system, air intake system and exhaust system.
The program will entail two phases – the prototype development phase and mass-production. Defence industry sources anticipate a five to six-year period for the completion of the first phase. Following successful completion of the contract, the second phase (i.e. the mass production of the power pack) would then be negotiated by the Defence Industry Executive Committee at that time.
----------

BTW the transmission type they are looking into according to the article, is the same type used in Japan's Type-10 MBT
so i guess 2nd or 3rd batch of altays will have domestic motors. Third batch imo/

Korean K2X2 tank gets an Altay inspired upgrade,. armor blocks on sides
e039956a30434bb5c68ef8708d0e6691.jpg

fdbb66c7e339557b9f5031c8bf4554f0.jpg

63275dd0c74e53919de37c499c82f48a.jpg

Compared to Altay, which is designed in and not a add-on
0b4b8612269c5f41fe2b53c316652cf4.jpg

If they need to improve protection thanks to add-on armours on a new produced tank, It means They did something wrong on original design and found some defficiencies in following steps. That's my thought that Semi finished Altay FTR prototype is even looking stronger than serial produced XK-2 in terms of appearance and I believe that Serial produced Altay will be a deadly looking one which will spread fear on enemy neighbours...

4b2d537d66c68c826a85e4dd4a61d479.jpg

2ab735b68727f74ab607c4ae92a989e4.jpg

Last edited:
If they need to improve protection thanks to add-on armours on a new produced tank, It means They did something wrong on original design and found some defficiencies in following steps. That's my thought that Semi finished Altay FTR prototype is even looking stronger than serial produced XK-2 in terms of appearance and I believe that Serial produced Altay will be a deadly looking one which will spread fear on enemy neighbours...

View attachment 111588

View attachment 111605
Bro, just to be honest, while XK-2 was designed, there were no added armor in the World. It started after 2006 failed ISrael invasion of Lebanon and showing the modern tanks are still vulnerable against Kornet-e or othet new anti tank missiles. Even, Germans updated their leopard 2 to A6 and A7 levels. But, that probably doesnt mean, they failed in designing Leopar 2.
I am really happy that, ALtay was designed based on latest treats.. It really looks amazinggg. I cant wait to see it in Action.
Sometimes, i think, It is the right time to show Altay, Atak, Tulpar, Anka, and all those technologies in the field and prove it to the whole world... ALso, i want to see Altay in Russia, Tanks game, against t-90 and CHinese Tank..

Back
Top Bottom