What's new

Altay & Turkish Main Battle Tank Programs

Thanks to Avci - Image from S&H magazine
e95eb20204787cab6ada2bcb1dd62f1c.jpg

To compare armor
28da95d9947c2ee34faeae909afa127e.jpg

Last edited:
Very pleased by the way the Altay is shaping up. Looks like they've significantly lowered the turret profile and the armour blocks look more more angled. Would give more protection when facing ATGMs.

@Combat-Master - Have you got any info on the armour levels on the top of the turret? Modern ATGMs are increasingly being produced with 'top attack' capability. Would be interesting to know if the Altay could survive a direct hit.

I like the upper picture, cant wait for a better quality.

I totally agree...

Honnestly, i don't wanna see any new ALTAY photo untill 2015 May @ IDEF'15... There will be better quality videos, photos & for sure a very good presentation of PV1 & PV2 will be made...

Çekirdekleri yemeden çitleyip sonra hepsini birden ağıza atmak gibi bişe olsun istiyorum... :P

IMO Merkava has the best turret shape against side attacks... Because it looks like Merkava's turret shape diverts explosive/attack pressure out of tank's body...

I know drawing doesn't fit treal tanks100% but I exaggerated the drawing to point out what i want to explain...

MA.jpg

Last edited:
@xxxKULxxx

There are different types of shell.

In the 21th Century you must have more then Shapes that must protect you.

I know you know these things better then me but i think avoiding harm is the best way of protection and i'm sure Merkava's armour is also very good... So i think Mercava includes both avoiding and armour protection against side hits...

And i hope i'm wrong... I hope Altay's protection is not only better then Merkava but better then all tanks...

Angled armour doesn't deflect modern tank rounds. The angle required to deflect them today is less than 7 degrees if I remember correctly, which is less than the Merkava's (or any other tank's), so that's not going to happen. The benefit of angled armour is to increase the amount of armour the round has to penetrate, like this:

052e8a651872b66f012b490933dcbc5f.jpg

Altay will be more or less similar to first design 3D revealed with additional changes on chassis and turret armour shapes. First visible changes is the position of driver section on prototype Altay...

a517a4d12239fde166257c3518d7fedb.jpg

207202_e95eb20204787cab6ada2bcb1dd62f1c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom