What's new

Among the Non-Believers

^^^ ajtr, there is discrimination against muslims in jobs but muslims changing names to get job is completely unheard of.
For domestic help, I can understand, hindus dont allow even other caste people into their kitchen, forget muslim.
But you cannot blame hindus for choosing hindus as their domestic help, its personal choice. If some muslims pose as hindus to be domestic help its a fraudulent activity.

Indian Muslims adopting Hindu names to avoid prejudice

Daily Times Monitor

LAHORE: Members of India’s large Muslim minority often adopt Hindu names and dress styles in an attempt to avoid widespread prejudice that keeps them from housing and jobs, a Washington Times online report said on Tuesday.

Shaikh Salim, a Muslim who runs a food stall in the central office district of Calcutta, uses the common Hindu name Shankar Maity and calls his stall “Shankar’s Fast Food”.

Shaokat Ali, a Muslim student who came to the city for a master’s degree in English, tutors Hindu students using the name Saikat Das and keeps a large picture of the Hindu goddess Kali hanging on a wall in his room. Jahanara Begum takes off a silver talisman embossed with “Allah” in Arabic each morning, replacing it with a spot of vermilion powder on her forehead and red-and-white conch bangles of a married Hindu woman before heading to work in a fish market, where she is known as Parvati — the name of a Hindu goddess.

Analysts say there could be thousands of Muslims in Calcutta who, like these three, are quietly hiding their religious identities in order to fit in, the newspaper reported. “In everyday life, Muslims in almost all spheres of life face a communal discrimination by powerful Hindus, and they are denied many of their basic rights and freedom in an unjustified way,” said Anjan Basu, a veteran social analyst and executive editor of Pratidin, a Bengali newspaper in Calcutta.

Six decades after Pakistan was carved off from British-ruled India, many Hindus believe that Pakistan was created for Muslims and that is where they belong, said Basu, who is a Hindu.

He added that communal discrimination has been “institutionalised”, with Muslims being denied employment in the government and even many private sector offices, where 90 percent to 95 percent of the jobs are held by Hindus. Many Muslims who adopted Hindu identities say they do not feel embarrassed because of their actions.

“Fifteen years ago, when I came to Calcutta in search of a job, almost all street restaurants in the city refused to employ me because I was a Muslim,” said Salim. “Some said their Hindu customers could refuse to eat at their shops if a Muslim worked there. But soon I met a Muslim man who worked as a cook in a Hindu-owned restaurant under a Hindu identity. I followed his advice, picked up a Hindu identity, and soon an upper-class Hindu employed me to run a food stall,” he added.

Nearly all of Salim’s customers are Hindus, and he fears his business would suffer disastrously if his customers found out he was a Muslim.

“I know that [many Hindus] hate Muslims simply because of their religion. So, I have done nothing wrong by lying about my religious identity,” he said.

Ali, the 24-year-old university student, is troubled by his decision to hide his faith but says he had little choice after 29 guesthouse owners refused to rent him a room because of his religion. He intends to drop the pretence as soon as his finances improve.

“It pains me that I cannot tell people that I am a Muslim,” he said. “I am restlessly waiting for the day when I shall be able to get out of this religious guise.” Some analysts worry that the deep-seated discrimination against Muslims could ultimately drive them to violence.

“As Indian Muslims strongly feel they are being unjustifiably denied their share in developing India, their grievances could snowball into severe anger against the state and society, forcing many to resort to terrorism one day,” Basu said. But for the time being, the realities of the workplace mean that many Muslims will continue to hide their identities.

In the state of West Bengal, where the Islamic community makes up 27 percent of the population, Muslim employment in the government sector was less than 3 percent, according to a recent federally mandated study by former Judge Rajendra Sachar.

A federal minister acknowledged last week that Muslims have been victims of “religious apartheid”, both in the government and in society at large.

Discrimination against Muslims “is in the polity and the populace of the country. Worse, many of them have been implicated in fake charges of terrorism,” said Kapil Sibal, the minister of science and technology, who is a Hindu.

Indian Muslims adopting Hindu names to avoid prejudice

Daily Times Monitor

LAHORE: Members of India’s large Muslim minority often adopt Hindu names and dress styles in an attempt to avoid widespread prejudice that keeps them from housing and jobs, a Washington Times online report said on Tuesday.

Shaikh Salim, a Muslim who runs a food stall in the central office district of Calcutta, uses the common Hindu name Shankar Maity and calls his stall “Shankar’s Fast Food”.

Shaokat Ali, a Muslim student who came to the city for a master’s degree in English, tutors Hindu students using the name Saikat Das and keeps a large picture of the Hindu goddess Kali hanging on a wall in his room. Jahanara Begum takes off a silver talisman embossed with “Allah” in Arabic each morning, replacing it with a spot of vermilion powder on her forehead and red-and-white conch bangles of a married Hindu woman before heading to work in a fish market, where she is known as Parvati — the name of a Hindu goddess.

Analysts say there could be thousands of Muslims in Calcutta who, like these three, are quietly hiding their religious identities in order to fit in, the newspaper reported. “In everyday life, Muslims in almost all spheres of life face a communal discrimination by powerful Hindus, and they are denied many of their basic rights and freedom in an unjustified way,” said Anjan Basu, a veteran social analyst and executive editor of Pratidin, a Bengali newspaper in Calcutta.

Six decades after Pakistan was carved off from British-ruled India, many Hindus believe that Pakistan was created for Muslims and that is where they belong, said Basu, who is a Hindu.

He added that communal discrimination has been “institutionalised”, with Muslims being denied employment in the government and even many private sector offices, where 90 percent to 95 percent of the jobs are held by Hindus. Many Muslims who adopted Hindu identities say they do not feel embarrassed because of their actions.

“Fifteen years ago, when I came to Calcutta in search of a job, almost all street restaurants in the city refused to employ me because I was a Muslim,” said Salim. “Some said their Hindu customers could refuse to eat at their shops if a Muslim worked there. But soon I met a Muslim man who worked as a cook in a Hindu-owned restaurant under a Hindu identity. I followed his advice, picked up a Hindu identity, and soon an upper-class Hindu employed me to run a food stall,” he added.

Nearly all of Salim’s customers are Hindus, and he fears his business would suffer disastrously if his customers found out he was a Muslim.

“I know that [many Hindus] hate Muslims simply because of their religion. So, I have done nothing wrong by lying about my religious identity,” he said.

Ali, the 24-year-old university student, is troubled by his decision to hide his faith but says he had little choice after 29 guesthouse owners refused to rent him a room because of his religion. He intends to drop the pretence as soon as his finances improve.

“It pains me that I cannot tell people that I am a Muslim,” he said. “I am restlessly waiting for the day when I shall be able to get out of this religious guise.” Some analysts worry that the deep-seated discrimination against Muslims could ultimately drive them to violence.

“As Indian Muslims strongly feel they are being unjustifiably denied their share in developing India, their grievances could snowball into severe anger against the state and society, forcing many to resort to terrorism one day,” Basu said. But for the time being, the realities of the workplace mean that many Muslims will continue to hide their identities.

In the state of West Bengal, where the Islamic community makes up 27 percent of the population, Muslim employment in the government sector was less than 3 percent, according to a recent federally mandated study by former Judge Rajendra Sachar.

A federal minister acknowledged last week that Muslims have been victims of “religious apartheid”, both in the government and in society at large.

Discrimination against Muslims “is in the polity and the populace of the country. Worse, many of them have been implicated in fake charges of terrorism,” said Kapil Sibal, the minister of science and technology, who is a Hindu.

its a global phenomena.. even pakistan prefer to pose as Indian

Pakistanis pose as Indians after NY bomb scare | Reuters

@ajtr - the discrimination goes both ways and it is deeply wedded into each Indian's psyche due to the events happened over the ages between hindus and muslims. But you can't say that one can't maintain one's identity based on one example.

I can point out my personal example too - I grew up in a relative comfort of no obvious religious schism in my state - TN. My mom's remedy for common pains is going to the local mosque (mind it -she is a very pious hindu lady) and we grew up with my neighborhood muslim girls who were daughters of my father's colleague and they were part of the family. We never felt what religion they belonged to and they were like sisters. One of the girls got married and moved to Mumbai- Chembur to be specific. On a visit to Mumbai, I paid her a visit and guess what - while returning back, I was stopped by few of the muslim men was almost roughed up while investigating what am I doing there - even after my explanations(there was some language issues too as I spoke very little hindi then), they warned me not to come visit the neighborhood again. It was a very rude awakening for me on that day.

Can I claim discrimination? Not based on one experience. But I can't deny that a new fear developed in me that day.

Is there prejudice against muslims in India? - yes. But the reason for the prejudice is not hate but fear for the most part(not denying few hindu bigots). And the fear is more pronounced after 1991. So muslims brought it among themselves as well. So you can't blame hindus alone.

So in summary, can Indian muslims maintain their own identity - yes. Does prejudice happens agains them? Yes. The main reason? fear. And muslims discriminate against hindus and vice versa? yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least you wont find any bombing in their procession in Moharram only because you dont believe in that....

Indian Muslims pose as Hindus to get jobs

She ducks into a toilet stall on the platform and remerges a few moments later, transformed in a sari with vermillion powder on her forehead, and red and white conch bangles on her wrists - the symbols of a traditional, married Hindu woman.

Ms Begum is one of a number of India's 150 million Muslims who adopt Hindu identities to avoid discrimination in the workplace.

"For the the whole day I shall maintain this Hindu appearance. My name is Laxmi, you know it's also the name of the Hindu goddess," she says.

"Before leaving home I took off my armband on which 'Allah' is embossed and put on whatever a Hindu woman usually wears. I live in a Muslim village. Villagers will feel bad to see me with the symbols of a Hindu woman."

Ms Begum says she tried unsuccessfully to find a job for many years before deciding to hide her Muslim identity. Posing as a Hindu woman, she got her current job as an ayah (nursemaid) in a private hospital.

"Recently my hospital asked me to look for some girls to work there, but they asked me not to bring any Muslim candidate for the interview. If by chance they get to know that I am Muslim, I am sure I will be fired."

Secret recruitment policies
Muslims who adopt fake Hindu identities mostly work in menial jobs in sectors where identity documents are not usually sought.

Barin Ghosh managed a domestic help and ayah supply agency in Kolkata until recently and says many recruitment agencies help Muslims find jobs by introducing them as Hindu.

"Almost 95 percent of the clients in my agency were Hindu and while seeking domestic helps, as much as 80 per centof the Hindu clients informed us that they would not employ any Muslims," Mr Ghosh says.

"Muslims being poorer, more than half of the jobseekers coming to our agency were from this minority community. Sometimes we introduced Muslim jobseekers as Hindus to our Hindu clients and they got the jobs. I am sure many placement agencies on mutual interest maintain such secret policies to help Muslims get jobs."

Anti-Muslim bias
Muslims make up 13 percent of India's population and are the country's largest minority.

However, community leaders have long alleged that an anti-Muslim bias exists in different levels of society.

In 2005, the government appointed the Sachar Commission to investigate suggestions that Muslims were disadvantaged in social, economic and educational terms.

It concluded that the socioeconomic condition of most Muslims was worse than that of the dalits, or 'untouchables', the lowest of the Hindu castes.

Ayesha Pervez, a minority rights activist, says widespread workplace discrimination means Muslims are unable to upgrade their standard of living.

"It's not just in the unorganised sector where Muslim jobseekers face the hurdle of discrimination. Even in the government sector anti-Muslim discriminatory processes are thriving," she says.

"In West Bengal where Muslims constitute 27 percent of the population, their representation in government jobs is as low as four percent. Muslim participation is also extremely low in the private sector."

Muslims as untouchables
According to Prasenjit Biswas, a professor of philosophy at the North Eastern Hill University in Meghalaya, many Hindus count Muslims as untouchables.

He says that is at the root of the anti-Muslim discrimination in India.

"The anti-Muslim bias arises out of caste Hindu mindset of untouchability that considers Muslims as lesser than even the untouchables," he says.

"The specific reason in eastern India is the deep-seated fear that the proximity of Muslims in the interior household will not only pollute the household but would bring in bad omen."

Prof Biswas says although discriminating against Muslims is illegal, it is almost impossible for those affected to provide proof.

"So, they are forced to bear with this repressive system- in many cases by disguising themselves as Hindus, in attempt to seek work and live as equals in the society."

Housing apartheid flourishes in Delhi

Yes there is discrimination in India but nothing what Hindus and Sikhs and Christians have to endure in Pakistan.
Indian Muslims don't complain that their daughter was kidnapped and converted to Hinduism. IM are not fleeing India their numbers have doubled from what they were in 1951.

When Shias and ahmedis are not safe in Pakistan, it is really stupid to expect any thing better for Hindus.

@ajtr - the discrimination goes both ways and it is deeply wedded into each Indian's psyche due to the events happened over the ages between hindus and muslims. But you can't say that one can't maintain one's identity based on one example.

I can point out my personal example too - I grew up in a relative comfort of no obvious religious schism in my state - TN. My mom's remedy for common pains is going to the local mosque (mind it -she is a very pious hindu lady) and we grew up with my neighborhood muslim girls who were daughters of my father's colleague and they were part of the family. We never felt what religion they belonged to and they were like sisters. One of the girls got married and moved to Mumbai- Chembur to be specific. On a visit to Mumbai, I paid her a visit and guess what - while returning back, I was stopped by few of the muslim men was almost roughed up while investigating what am I doing there - even after my explanations(there was some language issues too as I spoke very little hindi then), they warned me not to come visit the neighborhood again. It was a very rude awakening for me on that day.

Can I claim discrimination? Not based on one experience. But I can't deny that a new fear developed in me that day.

Is there prejudice against muslims in India? - yes. But the reason for the prejudice is not hate but fear for the most part(not denying few hindu bigots). And the fear is more pronounced after 1991. So muslims brought it among themselves as well. So you can't blame hindus alone.

So in summary, can Indian muslims maintain their own identity - yes. Does prejudice happens agains them? Yes. The main reason? fear. And muslims discriminate against hindus and vice versa? yes.
Simply you can say muslim bias is result of hindu discrimination due to partition baggage muslims were forced to carry in india for so long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simply you can say muslim bias is result of hindu discrimination due to partition baggage muslims were forced to carry in india for so long.

Again it goes both ways - Hindus showed discrimination because Indian muslims were at fault too for the partition(for voting for ML in 1945/46 provinicial and central elections when ML stood on the plank of partition by religious lines). So again one community can't be blamed.

In India no muslim is safe whether Pakistani or Indian... & who is denying discrimination in US... first red indians, then maxicans... now muslims...

Let us count how many muslims are killed in pakistan in last 5 years because of sectarian violence and compare it with India. You will find where muslims are safe.
Let me not talk about Hazara, Shia, baloch, Bengali....ops all are Muslims in Pakistan.

Yes there is discrimination in India but nothing what Hindus and Sikhs and Christians have to endure in Pakistan.
Indian Muslims don't complain that their daughter was kidnapped and converted to Hinduism. IM are not fleeing India their numbers have doubled from what they were in 1951.

When Shias and ahmedis are not safe in Pakistan, it is really stupid to expect any thing better for Hindus.

Are you forget to add Bengali, balouch...

Back
Top Bottom