What's new

Any questions regadring Sri Lanka - 2

Sri Lankan weddings - please post pictures of the typical cultural aspects of these.

Sri Lankan weddings are mainly 2 days. We give priority to Sinhala traditions & dresses in the first day.
For the going away, We choose western style dress code.

bride.jpg

bride-groom-sri-lanka-dressed-traditional-lankan-wedding-dress-34063268.jpg

bridalshow1_20090208_1936273938.jpg

collage_photocat18.jpg

bridal3.jpg

248f3f_1fa9dcf8a362465ef5a13a39c76b2201.jpg_1024

Wedding-Photography-Sri-Lanka-Colombo-Studio-Vimukthi_72.jpg

picture-2.jpg

collage_photocat7.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
Nope. Sometimes we can catch some similar words in hindi etc
i read some where that sinhala is close to diwehi(maldive language)??but not mutually intelligible???
is sinhala anyway related to vedha language??
one thing i noted that sinhala alphabets are pretty close to kannada/telegu??also with malayalam...

Would Sri Lanka ever consider becoming a state of India?

LOL who ever want to become state of India?
If US or China request it from us we can consider about it coz they are so much developed countries. :D

We aren't part of Indian sub-continent either! sorry guys! :D

looks awesome....
is that kandiyan style of dressing???

Yep, That's Kandyan style!

LOL who ever want to become state of India?
If US or China request it from us we can consider about it coz they are so much developed countries. :D

We aren't part of Indian sub-continent either! sorry guys! :D

Okay we are gonna have to take it by force :p::p:

i read some where that sinhala is close to diwehi(maldive language)??but not mutually intelligible???
is sinhala anyway related to vedha language??
one thing i noted that sinhala alphabets are pretty close to kannada/telegu??also with malayalam...

Yep, I've heard also Maldivian language is similar to Sinhala. but we don't understand Diweli.

Yep, Any Sinhala speaker can understand Veddha language easily.

I have no idea about Kannada/telegu script. :(

1. Sinhala script
2. Tamil script
3. English
dsc_0257.jpg

url

Sinhala script on a news papar
32270.jpg

Okay we are gonna have to take it by force :p::p:

seriously dude, what's the purpose if we join with a country which is not performing well? if anyone performing well there is no need to take it by force. It will happen automatically. Just look at European Union & think why some countries dying to become part of it? :azn:

Last edited:
Sri Lanka is totally a green island. Want to see my home backyard ? :D

A6Ak8vY.jpg

Yep, I've heard also Maldivian language is similar to Sinhala. but we don't understand Diweli.

Yep, Any Sinhala speaker can understand Veddha language easily.

I have no idea about Kannada/telegu script. :(

1. Sinhala script
2. Tamil script
3. English
dsc_0257.jpg

url

Sinhala script on a news papar
32270.jpg

seriously dude, what's the purpose if we join with a country which is not performing well? if anyone performing well there is no need to take it by force. It will happen automatically. Just look at European Union & think why some countries dying to become part of it? :azn:

Are you out of mind? India is a very well performing country, unlike SL.

rationally speaking, with NO sentiments, joining india is very advantageous to Sri Lanka....both economically, militarily.. and every other aspect. :P

But i dont see others in my country liking it. I too like the idea of 'Island Nation' :)

Can you post some info on existing Burghers of Sri Lanka? Their economic parity with natives, how and why do they perceive themselves (superior) to the other groups in SL?

Well first of all Burghers are as native to Sri lanka as any Sinhalese, Tamil, Moor or Malay.. The only people that can truly contest against it are the native Vedda's.. Burghers are distinctively Sri Lankan, They're recognized as a distinct Sri Lankan ethnicity in it's constitution

As any other ethnicity Burghers do have social classes within the community, Most Dutch Burghers would like to consider themselves the rightful hires of the lineage, While there are others of many social and economic strata.. So there is no uniform parity.. So the answer to your question is.. No we dont consider ourselves superior

The term Sri Lankan Burghers these days are ambiguous, Decades of intermarriage have made the community endangered to say the least.. It is a very liberal community in it's out look.. Consensus does not show the true numbers, Most are mistakenly identified as Sinhalese or Tamil through marriage

Hardline language policies of Sinhala nationalist govt's in the 50's drove many Burghers overseas, Especially to Australia, UK and the North America, Where there are thriving communities still with very strong links to the motherland

Last edited:
@Gibbs @Azizam @Skyline - How is Pakistan viewed in Sri Lanka ?

Has the media managed to spin a negative perception of Pakistan in Sri Lanka or are we viewed with some positivity ?

Would Sri Lanka ever consider becoming a state of India?

Not trying to be pompous.. But...

:omghaha:

@Gibbs @Azizam @Skyline - How is Pakistan viewed in Sri Lanka ?

Has the media managed to spin a negative perception of Pakistan in Sri Lanka or are we viewed with some positivity ?

Pakistan is considered the closest friend in the region mate.. Does not matter which mainstream political divide people come from Pakistan is viewed as a steadfast ally

Back
Top Bottom