What's new

Are T-64/T-80/T-84 series tanks outperforming T-72/T90 series tanks in Ukraine War?

Protected ammo boxes for low chances of ammunition exploding.
I'm sure T-72/T-90 has this as well. Based on all the vids and pics of blown off turrets in this war....its best Chinese and Pakistani tanks to abandon the carousel autoloader in favor of turret bustle autoloaders in future tank models.

T-64 is a more expensive and superior tank by design than T-72. During cold war period, T-72 were mass produced and issued to Soviet Union's allies in Warsaw pact. While T-64 were only issued to elite tank regiments in Soviet Union.

Ukraine has T-64 because it was part of Soviet Union, while Poland, East Germany and other Warsaw pact countries only have T-72.

Google search will reveal more details on differences between the two tanks.

Deisgnation of T-64, a "earlier number" than T-72 had fooled many in NATO during Cold war period, thinking that since 72 is later number than 64, thus it should be a better tank, but the fact is it was not the case.

A few T-64 were exported to Africa after collapse of Soviet Union, by then T-64 was already many decades old and obsolete but better than many T-54 still in service in Africa.

Last edited:
2006 war? Which country was Israel fighting against? Palestinian women and Children?

The design of T80/84 is fundamentally different from the T72/T90 series. USSR did not pursue further development of T84s due to cost issues. T84 is better.
Israel was fighting Hezbollah which now fight side by side with with Russia.

Arabs and Hezbollah are about the same competence as the Russians Ukraine are facing.

Israel was fighting Hezbollah which now fight side by side with with Russia.

Arabs and Hezbollah are about the same competence as the Russians Ukraine are facing.
Don’t delude yourself. Hezbollah is rag tag militia not a trained national army.

Russiab people said the Merkava is garbage when only 5 Merkavas were destroyed in 2006 war, now 2700 Russian tanks got destroyed in the Ukraine war
2700 Tanks ?
by the way a question for you , how strong is Merkava Top Armor ? how good it fare against Javelin ?

Yeah, but I would guess at least 50 percent of those were destroyed by direct attack weapons.
yes but around 90+% of direct weapons were from side not front , and that more point to commanders problem not tanks problem (i don't say t-72 have no problem , it had many but its problem is augmented out of proportion by bad commanding and strategy on Russia side)

Deisgnation of T-64, a "earlier number" than T-72 had fooled many in NATO during Cold war period, thinking that since 72 is later number than 64, thus it should be a better tank, but the fact is it was not the case.

This is an exemplary case of Western intel analysts failing to catch on the East Bloc weapon development in the open.

From what I read, USSR never really hid T64. Instead, they hid it in the open. While T64 was so so on specs, the inner workings were top at the time. The subsequent T64-A, and T64-B, made in way bigger numbers, just bumped core specs (gun, ammo, armour thickness, engine power) up.

yes but around 90+% of direct weapons were from side not front , and that more point to commanders problem not tanks problem (i don't say t-72 have no problem , it had many but its problem is augmented out of proportion by bad commanding and strategy on Russia side)

Most tank kills on both sides in Ukraine are from artillery. Seconded by TM62 mine being used in tens of thousands.

Don’t delude yourself. Hezbollah is rag tag militia not a trained national army.
Lol, I don't think you got me, I'm not saying Hezbollah isn't a rag tag militia, I'm saying Russia's abysmal performance is comparable to that of Hezbollah.

2700 Tanks ?
by the way a question for you , how strong is Merkava Top Armor ? how good it fare against Javelin ?

Yes, 2700 tanks. I see more Russian tanks blown up every day than Merkavas in 34 days of fighting in Lebanon.

Merkava actually has very thick upper armor, and Trophy will not let it get scratched.

0 Merkavas got destroyed from the front, multiple Kornets hit the Merkava from the front yet it didn't get destroyed. Poor commanding and strategy is an excuse anyone can use, and is the result of every tank casualty. The 5 Merkavas that got destroyed, were destroyed due to tactical failures. So why 5 Merkavas got destroyed (out of 50 hit, against advanced ATGMs and huge IEDs, best survival ratio in the world) makes the Merkava garbage, whereas the garbage Russian T90s 80s 72s get blown up in such huge quantities, 2700, almost 3 orders of magnitude more than Merkavas?

Because Russians and their stupid supporters are hypocrites and idiots.

Yes, 2700 tanks. I see more Russian tanks blown up every day than Merkavas in 34 days of fighting in Lebanon.

Merkava actually has very thick upper armor, and Trophy will not let it get scratched.

0 Merkavas got destroyed from the front, multiple Kornets hit the Merkava from the front yet it didn't get destroyed. Poor commanding and strategy is an excuse anyone can use, and is the result of every tank casualty. The 5 Merkavas that got destroyed, were destroyed due to tactical failures. So why 5 Merkavas got destroyed (out of 50 hit, against advanced ATGMs and huge IEDs, best survival ratio in the world) makes the Merkava garbage, whereas the garbage Russian T90s 80s 72s get blown up in such huge quantities, 2700, almost 3 orders of magnitude more than Merkavas?

Because Russians and their stupid supporters are hypocrites and idiots.
as said Russians tanks face a more dangerous problems than what Merkava faced in 2006 a question , how many kronet trophy destroyed ?

and its not 2700 for tanks its the numbre according to this the total number of lost is around 2200 many of them captured or abandoned

Actually, most killed on Armour are either from behind, or from the bottom. Seldom a tank got hard killed by the front or the side, mobility kill yes, but hard kill no. The two were the weakest point of a tank, any tank, because you can't armor those spot..

Top-down kill was not even a thing until early or late 80s. Because back then even we do have top-down missile like Javelin, their seeker and tracking system is, well, shit. Most Javelin we used back then are for soft target or static position. We hardly use them to kill tanks.

Also, if a commander is buttoned up, you can't really see anywhere. You are looking at the periscope while moving. Russian doctrine (or soviet doctrine) dictated Tank Commander to fight in turned in position for maximum protection.

APS really is a magic solution.

Think long term please.
I think if anything the Ukraine war is going to show the effectiveness of drones.

APS is not going to help a tank from a drone swarm.

I think we should consider the future when 10 cannon fodder drones start circle strafing around a tank at 50mph targeting the periscopes/sensors with small arms fire trying to get the tank to use up its defensive ammo to prevent itself from going blind...and when it does go blind or use up its ammo a bigger suicide drone will come by and take it out with a big whallop.

Last edited:
as said Russians tanks face a more dangerous problems than what Merkava faced in 2006 a question , how many kronet trophy destroyed ?

and its not 2700 for tanks its the numbre according to this the total number of lost is around 2200 many of them captured or abandoned
Trophy stopped every missile it faced since its installation. More than 200, most of which happened in 2014. Merkavas would be safe in this conflict.

2700 is the total number, part of it was captured, correct, a huge part of it just blew up because of the shitty autoloader design Russia has.

2700 is the total number, part of it was captured, correct, a huge part of it just blew up because of the shitty autoloader design Russia has.
in fact that blow out was less than the captured ones
and how many kronet ? I don't care about rest , how many kronet and top attack missiles , for example have you test it against spike

Think long term please.
I think if anything the Ukraine war is going to show the effectiveness of drones.

APS is not going to help a tank from a drone swarm.

I think we should consider the future when 10 cannon fodder drones start circle strafing around a tank at 50mph getting it to use up its defensive ammo and when it does a bigger suicide drone come by and takes it out with a big whallop.
APS is definitely a solution, a solution to ATGMs, no one said it's a solution against drone swarms or jet fighters dropping 1 ton bombs on the tank.

This is more related to air defenses and electronic warfare capabilities.

Back
Top Bottom