What's new

Are The Afghan Taliban Different From The Pakistani Taliban?

"Now you yourself have claimed numerous times that the women, children and non-combatants around the compounds that get targeted by US drones 'deserve to die' (paraphrasing you), since you argue that they should not even be present any where close to the insurgents."

A.M. you should hope that they used RPGs, although a line of sight weapon such as that would require that they more closely identify their intended target. Had they done so, you might suggest as I have that standing in the blast radius of a precisely guided weapon is not conducive to your long-term health.

The taliban did not. Multiple weapons were fired-not one. They appear to be unguided rockets of the sort commonly used by the taliban. You've seen, I'm sure, the precision with which those weapons are aimed. If not just google HEZBOLLAH ROCKET ATTACKS for some assistance there.

Personally, I wouldn't encourage any afghan to stand near a loya jirga including a French general but the question seems to be how far away such a meeting was being conducted. Further, can you tell me with assuredness that these French soldiers and their afghan hosts were even the target?

It might have helped your argument if the taliban had at least come close. In the absence of something so precise as HELLFIRE, it might be nice if they lay off altogether. Compounding such by firing multiple rockets seems only to exacerbate the inherent whimsical inaccuracy of these free-flight weapons. That's just me though.

How do you know that the marketplace wasn't the intended target to embarass the French with casualties among civilians even as they were present?

Your comments are disappointing given the history of the afghan taliban and their noted propensity to willfully target civilians to generate sheer terror.

Mission accomplished, evidently.

Thanks.

"NATO invaded to avenge 9/11, and when the mission turned out to be not quite accomplished as yet, has been stuck in the mud."

America did so. Not one non-American force was involved in active combat prior to 2002. NATO was the implementer of the UN mandate established by the Bonn Accords.

As to Afghan well-being, your own tax dollars in Australia are spent to assure such-

AusAID and Afghanistan

I suppose that you are simply planting landmines with that $650m commitment your own small country has made. Would you suggest they are the only to do so? Or that Australia's contribution is itself a lie? I hope not because the overwhelming facts state otherwise.

A lot of countries spend money on foreign aid. Pakistan, with far more meager resources, has spent over $300 million (and counting) in Afghanistan. As a percentage of GDP, Pakistan is one of the most generous donors to the Afghanistan reconstruction effort.

The fact remains that the US, and later NATO, invasion was justified on a hopped up wave of self-righteousness indignation after 9/11. When it became apparent that the invaders were not greeted with flowers, and the Taliban were not going to go away so easily, NATO started looking for another strategy. For eight years, NATO has been floundering from one failed strategy to another. They have tried brute force, bribery, coersion, and nation building -- all half heartedly. The result being that, even that after eight years, there is still no clear strategy for success or exit.

Meanwhile Pakistan has to suffer for NATO's incompetence as these displaced fighters cause trouble within Pakistan.

If NATO was really serious about nation building in Afghanistan, they would have instituted a full-on Marshall plan, as proposed by then-Senator Biden for Afghanistan (and Pakistan), which would have completely changed the landscape, literally, by now.

"Your habitual descent into name calling when unable to respond is getting tiresome."

No. There's no name-calling present. What you are is a fact. It is indisputable when your comment is weighed against the mountain of evidence making clear the civil projects and money spent towards the afghan people's well-being, to include by the government of Australia where you live.

I know far better than you the attitude of successive Australian governments towards Afghan misery. Several boatloads of Afghan refugees were turned away unceremoniously by the Australian government. The rabidly anti-Muslim Australian media characterized them as a bunch of terrorists and even blamed them for all sort of things, from deliberate infanticide to arson for a fire on board one of the boats that killed some of them.

Compare their treatment to the recent incident with Tamil refugees who were welcomed with open arms. The mainstream media highlighted their misery and the Australian government agreed to resettle most of them within four to ten weeks.

Fear not, Developereo, as you've also now qualified for my "ignore" list.

I will take that as a badge of honor.
Sticking your head in the sand, or covering up your ears, when faced with uncomfortable truths is not a very mature way to deal with reality.

It's not that the Afghan Taliban are good, but the fact that the NATO invasion has pushed some of them into Pakistan and is creating problems in Pakistan. I would like the Afghan Taliban to return to Afghanistan, and for Pakistan to kill or reform the TTP. Furthermore, if possible, Pakistan should try to reform the Afghan Taliban, simply because we don't want their kind of ideology in our neighborhood.

well u r trying to argue in bits and pieces... Do u really believe that having afghan taliban in ur backyard was a wise move.. whatever be their intentions or ideology...

It's a matter of time somebody will come back to Afghan and try to overthrow them for right or wrong reasons... Taliban was never recognized worldwide...

As an indian, as much as I want to see india dominate its neighbors particularly pakistan and china, I for not one moment would like to see these thugs control ur country in the name of religion and what not crap and excuses. NOT BECOZ I like pakistan but BECOZ These elements if succeed pose DANGER to INDIA in the name of as i already mentioned "Any CRAPPY REASON" as we r neighbors. THESE PEOPLE AND THEIR IDEOLOGY IS A CANCER.

it starts somewhere in ur body but spreads and cripples entire body (our sub continent) for myriads of reasons and due to 1000s of catalysts (nato war yesterday, sth tomorrow)

well u r trying to argue in bits and pieces... Do u really believe that having afghan taliban in ur backyard was a wise move.. whatever be their intentions or ideology...

It's a matter of time somebody will come back to Afghan and try to overthrow them for right or wrong reasons... Taliban was never recognized worldwide...

As an indian, as much as I want to see india dominate its neighbors particularly pakistan and china, I for not one moment would like to see these thugs control ur country in the name of religion and what not crap and excuses. NOT BECOZ I like pakistan but BECOZ These elements if succeed pose DANGER to INDIA in the name of as i already mentioned "Any CRAPPY REASON" as we r neighbors. THESE PEOPLE AND THEIR IDEOLOGY IS A CANCER.

it starts somewhere in ur body but spreads and cripples entire body (our sub continent) for myriads of reasons and due to 1000s of catalysts (nato war yesterday, sth tomorrow)

Well, the way I understand it, Pakistan supported the Taliban not because of their Wahhabi ideology but for two reasons:
- they were fighting the Indian backed Northern Alliance, so it was effectively a proxy war
- they are a Pashtun nationalist movement and Pakistan has a significant Pashtun population

Where it all went wrong is when they got cozy with AQ and Pakistan did not appreciate the confluence of jihadist mentality and Wahhabi ideology. We nurtured the former while quietly ignoring the latter. It is even possible that Zia and his people, with their own conservative bent, tacitly supported the Wahhabi ideology, I don't know.

Like I said, supporting proxy fighters is something most governments do anyway. It has happened in the past, and will continue to happen in the future. Even religious fervor to fight wars is not unique to the Taliban. Israeli soldiers fight in the name of Judaism. Many Western soldiers are motivated by the belief that they are part of a new Crusade. The mistake in Pakistan's case was to allow the medieval Wahhabi ideology to take root in our neighborhood, let alone our house.

If NATO was really serious about nation building in Afghanistan, they would have instituted a full-on Marshall plan, as proposed by then-Senator Biden for Afghanistan (and Pakistan), which would have completely changed the landscape, literally, by now.
Here is what Biden said to his Senate colleagues back in May 12, 2004...
Third, without bringing security to Afghanistan, nothing else is possible. Unless we are able to establish stability and basic order throughout the country, any reconstruction will be built on a foundation of sand.
Then in 2008, here is what Biden said...

A Conversation with Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr. [Rush Transcript; Federal News Service] - Council on Foreign Relations
First, we should make good on President Bush's unfulfilled pledge for a Marshall Plan in Afghanistan. Again, let's put that in perspective. We have spent on Afghanistan's reconstruction in six years what we spend every three weeks -- every three weeks -- on our military operations in Iraq. That cannot stand, if we're serious about Afghanistan.
No disagreements there. No one, including former Presidents, is above criticisms.
Secondly, we have to focus on the basics -- roads and electricity. As General Karl Eikenberry said, or used to say when he led our forces in Afghanistan, he said the Taliban begins where the road ends. We observed that on our trip. That's literally true. Fortunately, we found a road -- (laughter) -- in the middle of the mountains, our young pilot, and thank God it didn't end at 8,000 feet. It wasn't there at 9 (thousand feet), but it was there at 8 (thousand feet).

Roads bind people together. They allow farmers to get production to the market. They bring prices down and access to goods and service is up, and they connect people to their government, which is something we heard everywhere we went in rural Afghanistan -- the need to give some reason as to why it would be beneficial to "connect," quote, to their government.

How do you spell "hope" in Dhari or in Pashtu? A-s-p-h-a-l-t. Asphalt. That's how you spell hope, in my humble opinion.
Again...No disagreements there as well. Travels brings communications and build relationships.
Thirdly, we have to expand the provincial reconstruction effort that gives those leading it the tools they need to succeed. One of the most effective weapons are what are called CERP funds. These are the Commanders Emergency Response Program. And it puts cash in the hands of our military to start quick-impact projects like digging wells, building schools, and opening a clinic, among other things.

The problem is we do not give them these funds -- because we do it through a supplemental rather than honest budgeting -- until after the planting season, until after it is, in many cases, too late in terms of the agenda on the ground in-country.

That's why Dick Lugar and I have been leading an effort in Congress to establish a civilian response corps -- a standing army of police trainers, judicial experts, engineers and administrators who can help build the capacity of countries emerging from conflict. But until that job is done, our military is the only one doing the job. That's why these CERP funds should be in increased, in my view. And by the way -- I might add -- they're very good at it. They're very good at it.
CERP was a success in Iraq. It offered short term respite to long term problems and in doing so the program built trust between foreigners and natives and increase the odds of success for future collaborations in rebuilding Iraq.
Next, we should put one person in charge of reconstruction who can set a clear, strategic direction coordinating the many nations and NGOs involved and break logjams. It's one of the dysfunctional aspects of what's going on right now in Afghanistan. We had the right man to do that in a fellow named Paddy Ashdown, who many of you know, but the Afghan government vetoed that selection. Next time I would make it clear that if they want our money, they're going to have to take our man.
So Biden is asking for a multi-national efforts here.
Afghanistan produces 93 percent of the world's poppy. There's no quick fix for this drug problem, but right now we don't even have an agreed strategy among even the Americans -- let alone the Americans and our NATO allies. Some in the administration continue to insist on forced eradication as the only answer. Whether they're right or wrong, no one else agrees, including our allies and the Karzai government, for they fear that forcibly eradicating poppy without providing farmers with an alternative will turn them to the Taliban.

I believe we should focus on arresting drug kingpins, disrupting supply routes and destroying the labs that convert poppy into heroin. As Ambassador Holbrook will tell you, when the administration testified before our committee, I asked: Has one drug kingpin arrested? And the answer was, no. I have a great deal of experience in this, unfortunately, over the last 30 years and it is absolutely outrageous that not even one single one has been arrested.
And who are the drug kingpins running the labs? The Russian gangs? The Sicilian mafiosos? The Mexican cartels?

With the post WW II European Marshall Plan, except for the partitioned Germany, the countries devastated by war were not disputed territories by their own people. There were no Taliban equivalent of Frenchmen or Spaniards or Italians to derail the nation rebuilding efforts. Afghanistan is more a country in the geographical sense than in the political nation-state sense and when a country is ruled by disparate governments, read tribal authorities, what Biden and many other called 'nation rebuilding' in Afghanistan is more correctly 'nation creating' because we as not asking but demanding that these tribal leaders remove themselves from positions of authority and power and cede them to what they will perceive as a 'puppet government'. But even that is not possible unless the previous ideological and political foundation of the country is completely removed. That is what happened with Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan. Not only that, the citizens of both countries were reasonably educated and sophisticated. For Afghanistan, the sophisticated and educated left the country a long time ago, leaving a void that only foreigners can fill. The Germans and Japanese understood very well large organized corporations, entrepreunerships, business laws and regulations, property and intellectual rights, etc...etc...And the Afghans never institutionalized those things.

Biden's idea of nation rebuilding for Afghanistan most likely will fail but if we understand that this is truly about creating a new nation-state from tribalism, as in nation creating, then it is imperative that we discard the notion of a European post WW II Marshall Plan. The US, NATO and Pakistan must militarily crush the Taliban and AFTER security is established the NGOs would drastically increase their civilian presence and as they assert their leadership, the military presence will decrease. That is what happened with the original Marshall Plan. The UN routinely assigned peacekeepers who are more to the recipient's liking in trying to avoid the impression of a return of white European colonialism. For Afghanistan, a predominantly muslim country, where are the muslim NGOs willing to assist the Afghans? Wait...Is there such a thing as a muslim NGO? May be there was one but it turned into...The Taliban.

What you propose with Biden has nothing to do with your concern for Afghanistan but merely as a convenient rhetorical club to be held over America's head. If such a 'Marshall Plan' is implemented in Afghanistan, it will take at least the years as the original Marshall Plan for Europe and inevitably give people like you great fodder to make arguments about conquering the muslims, stealing their oil and what else...of course...The Karzai-Unocal oil pipeline story all over again. You are not fooling any Americans here using Biden. The US can be rhetorically damned either way.

Is there such a thing as a muslim NGO?

There are several.

Just in Pakistan, the Edhi Foundation is probably the most well known and does work internationally. There are numerous others devoted to special causes like women's rights, children's welfare and others.

Google is your friend if you are truly interested to learn more.

give people like you great fodder to make arguments about conquering the muslims, stealing their oil and what else...of course...The Karzai-Unocal oil pipeline story all over again.

Wow, I have heard all sorts of excuses for the abject failure in Afghanistan, but that's a new one! American ingenuity at work again...

I concede your point that, given its history, Afghanistan needs nation creation before any nation building can occur. However, as I had pointed out earlier, NATO has failed abysmally even in that endeavor. By failing to understand, and taking sides in, the centuries old ethnic conflicts, they have essentially allowed non-Pashtun elements to dominate key government institutions, with a few token Pashtuns in impotent figurehead positions.

NATO's failure is due to its arrogance in not bothering to understand the dynamics of the ethnic conflict and expecting people to magically form a Western style democracy overnight.

You are not fooling any Americans here using Biden. The US can be rhetorically damned either way.

As it is, I honestly don't give a dollar's worth whether you rebuild Afghanistan or not. It's America's money and they can do what they wish with it. My point was to challenge the assertion that NATO is in Afghanistan primarily to help the Afghan people. That is simply not the case, whatever the official spin may be.

There are several.

Just in Pakistan, the Edhi Foundation is probably the most well known and does work internationally. There are numerous others devoted to special causes like women's rights, children's welfare and others.

Google is your friend if you are truly interested to learn more.
I have...before I posed that largely rhetorical question...

NGOs in Afghanistan

No shortage of foreign NGOs there. We should not be surprised, however, since muslim governments are known for not living up to their pledges, from aid to the Palestinians to Iraq.

Here is an example...

Allies fall short on Iraq aid pledges - USATODAY.com
The biggest shortfalls in pledges by 41 donor countries are from Iraq's oil-rich neighbors and U.S. allies: Saudi Arabia spent $17.4% and Kuwait 27% of the $500 million each had pledged more than four years ago, according to a separate report released last month by Congress' Government Accountability Office. Spokesmen at both countries' U.S. embassies did not respond to repeated messages seeking comment.

"They're charging $100 per barrel of oil, making record fortunes, lecturing everyone else, and then they stiff everybody, including their cousins who they contend to be so very concerned about," the New York Democrat said in an interview.

Wow, I have heard all sorts of excuses for the abject failure in Afghanistan, but that's a new one! American ingenuity at work again...
:rofl:

That was not an excuse but an observation. You cannot dispute the truth -- that security must precede any economic development or even improvement and in order to have security, we foreigners would need to have a greater bootprint than we do now. Of course, it is American ingenuity that we have more NGOs in Afghanistan the muslims have. Afghanistan is a near perfect opportunity for the muslims to shine. Errr...But...

I concede your point that, given its history, Afghanistan needs nation creation before any nation building can occur. However, as I had pointed out earlier, NATO has failed abysmally even in that endeavor. By failing to understand, and taking sides in, the centuries old ethnic conflicts, they have essentially allowed non-Pashtun elements to dominate key government institutions, with a few token Pashtuns in impotent figurehead positions.

NATO's failure is due to its arrogance in not bothering to understand the dynamics of the ethnic conflict and expecting people to magically form a Western style democracy overnight.

As it is, I honestly don't give a dollar's worth whether you rebuild Afghanistan or not. It's America's money and they can do what they wish with it. My point was to challenge the assertion that NATO is in Afghanistan primarily to help the Afghan people. That is simply not the case, whatever the official spin may be.
NATO's primary mission is military in scope. The security situation must be addressed before NGOs, mostly Western ones as we have seen, can exercise their expertise in nation creation and building. But in their mission, it is inevitable that NATO must take sides. It is a fact that not every party involved in Afghanistan is good for Afghanistan.

The issue is your bringing Biden and his 'Marshall Plan' for Afghanistan. The original plan came from basically good intention -- to rebuild a war torn region. The execution may not have been the most efficient or even necessary as there is no shortage of social and economic luminaries to criticize the plan after the fact. In tacit demand that we should have listened to Biden, you effectively implied that the US and NATO are trying to do good things for Afghanistan based upon good intentions. Criticisms of failure or incompetence in execution, from a side where it has the faaaaarrrrr lesser contribution, military or otherwise, does nothing more than to support my argument that we are damned if we do and damned if we do not.

muslim governments are known for not living up to their pledges, from aid to the Palestinians to Iraq.

Pakistan has spent $300 million plus in humanitarian aid to Afghanistan. This is an enormous amount, considering the dismal state of our own economy where we could use the money ourselves. As a percentage of GDP, it is over twice that spent by India and is amongst the highest of any country helping Afghanistan. As for the Arab governments, I don't expect anything from the self-serving shiekhs. It doesn't surprise me that they are dragging their feet.

That was not an excuse but an observation.

No, that was an excuse. If you want to help Afghanistan, help them. Don't come up with bullshit excuses about perceptions of Muslim domination and other crap. You have 150,000 troops in their country. Trust me, perceptions are the least of your problems!

Of course, it is American ingenuity that we have more NGOs in Afghanistan the muslims have.

No, it's an American responsibility since it was American bombs that demolished the country -- whatever was left of it after the Soviet war.

Afghanistan is a near perfect opportunity for the muslims to shine. Errr...But...

Whatever the Muslim governments do or don't do doesn't absolve the Americans of their responsibility to leave the place better than they found it.

NATO's primary mission is military in scope.

Military power, and mission, is only a means to an end. A political end. What is the political end that the invasion was meant to achieve? The West clearly hasn't a clue.

It is a fact that not every party involved in Afghanistan is good for Afghanistan.

None of the parties involved are angels. NATO picked one side specifically because of their alliance with India, in line with the neocons' anti-China agenda for central Asia.

In tacit demand that we should have listened to Biden, you effectively implied that the US and NATO are trying to do good things for Afghanistan based upon good intentions.

How on earth do you manage to glean that conclusion from my statement? My point was that if NATO, i.e. the Western governments, really had Afghan wellbeing as their primary goal, they would have implemented policies to that effect. Biden is only an example. Take his plan, take any plan, and implement it. If there are military prerequisies of stability, then execute a strategy to achieve those objectives. What is all this fancy military might for? If it can't achieve the political objectives, is it just for show? Or is NATO so incompetent that it can't achieve the objectives set for it?

we are damned if we do and damned if we do not.

That's the risk you take when you stumble into a situation without thinking through the consequences or defining clear objectives.

I will take that as a badge of honor.
Sticking your head in the sand, or covering up your ears, when faced with uncomfortable truths is not a very mature way to deal with reality.

My friend you have awarded with one of the highest gallantry award by US militia. The "IGNORE" badge. Welcome to the club. And you know what it means..... :victory::victory::victory:

P.S. Sorry mods I couldn't resist. :woot:

:pakistan:

Last edited:
As far as the original question goes: Yes.

Now that's not saying one is good and one is bad. One is a lesser evil than the other, to put it in my words. One targets US/NATO/Afghanistan and other targets Pakistan. One uses terrorism as means to ends far more often than the other. One is funded in a different way than the other.

TTP every few days kills innocent civilians through their suicide attacks and whatever else. It's target is Pakistan specifically - not just the army but Pakistani people in general. They are funded by RAW and possibly Mossad (and note the word possibly) and get their financial and logistical funding through them.

Afghan Taliban on the other hand target civilians less often and are more concentrated on attacking US and NATO. They are funded by Afghan drug fields and possibly by some middle easterners.

Those are the main differences between the two.

Pakistan has spent $300 million plus in humanitarian aid to Afghanistan. This is an enormous amount, considering the dismal state of our own economy where we could use the money ourselves. As a percentage of GDP, it is over twice that spent by India and is amongst the highest of any country helping Afghanistan. As for the Arab governments, I don't expect anything from the self-serving shiekhs. It doesn't surprise me that they are dragging their feet.

No, that was an excuse. If you want to help Afghanistan, help them. Don't come up with bullshit excuses about perceptions of Muslim domination and other crap. You have 150,000 troops in their country. Trust me, perceptions are the least of your problems!
What is 'help' is broad. In the execution of such 'help', especially when there are military turmoil in the country, part of that help is security. We do not care about the muslims' perception of the military presence. Really...We do not. Those who express their criticisms, like you and many others here, do not have your boots in the grounds. You do not know the many situations well enough to understand sometimes the immediate authority, be it military or civilian, has to make difficult choices. All of your perceptions, from those who believe we are incompetent to those who believe we are in Afghanistan with nefarious intent, serves only to highlight your collective confusion.

I make no excuses. I am pointing out the fact that IF we are to execute an Afghanistan version of the 'Marshall Plan', the SCALE of the military and civilian presence in Afghanistan would enforce the perception that we are there with nefarious intent, not that the fear of that perception deterred us. Instrumental to this 'help' require Pakistan, an immediate neighbor to Afghanistan, first militarily secure her own territory to deny the unwanted forces in Afghanistan an escape route and sanctuary. If you grant yourself the authority to call US/NATO military efforts in Afghanistan as incompetent, be honest and call Pakistan's efforts to secure Pakistani territory as equally incompetent. All the humanitarian aid Pakistan sent to Afghanistan will be for nothing if the Taliban can find respite in Pakistan and return to Afghanistan to destabilize the peace that Pakistan helped to create with those humanitarian aid. What do you think the world's perception of Pakistan when Pakistani territory is being used by the Taliban, a force that most here admitted is not good for both countries? Do you even care about that perception? When you have suicide bombings in Pakistani towns and cities, trust me, the world's perceptions are the least of your problems.

No, it's an American responsibility since it was American bombs that demolished the country -- whatever was left of it after the Soviet war.
:rofl:

Please...Stop...You are killing me...Afghanistan never had any 'country' to 'demolish' even when the Soviets were there. All roads lead to Rome in the Roman Empire. But does Afghanistan have enough roads to lead to Kabul? As Biden and others pointed out -- No. Afghanistan's already difficult terrain and lack of the amenities of civilizations that we take for granted encourages and enforces tribalism. Tribes do not create civilizations, only scratches in rocks to fascinate later and more advanced societies. What our bombs destroyed in Afghanistan affected only the immediate beneficiaries of those few amenities of civilizations, not the many tribal fiefdoms accessible only by dirt trails and pack animals. And we can easily rebuild what we destroyed.

Whatever the Muslim governments do or don't do doesn't absolve the Americans of their responsibility to leave the place better than they found it.
Does that 'do' involve 'say' as well? The less one 'do' the less relevance what one 'say'. That is why Brad Pitt make more money than Roger Ebert. We encourage the muslims to embarrass US in Afghanistan in creating an Afghan nation-state at least on a par with Pakistan. Why Pakistan? Why not? It is easier to emulate one's immediate neighbor than one thousands of miles away. Keeping up with the Joneses, as we say in America. Or in the ME -- Keeping up with the Alis. Anyway...The muslims united behind Iraq under Saddam Hussein when they perceived Iran under Khomenei to be a great threat. The muslims united behind Pakistan in Afghanistan when they perceived the Soviets to be a great threat. Why no equal unity against US and NATO? Because those muslim governments do not believe the US to be after their oil via Karzai-Unocal, nor do they believe al-Qaeda is a CIA/Mossad front, nor do they believe the US is trying to create additional US states in the ME, nor do they believe in many other loony conspiracies, major and minor, popular in this forum. So why are there so much more Western NGOs in Afghanistan than muslim ones?

NGOs in Afghanistan

Those Western NGOs are not always under their respective governments' authority. They pretty much come and go as they please. Or as they can muster up enough courage to go anywhere. The mullahs called up the wrath of Allah to exhort muslims to fight the Soviets in Afghanistan but why does the muslims need any religious encouragements to go to Afghanistan to help Western NGOs build roads or hospitals? Why are the muslims, ordinary and governments, afraid of an improved Afghanistan? Yes...This is in no way remove American responsibilities in Afghanistan, especially when we do have a history of involvement in the country and the region. But why should this indictment prevent the muslims, ordinary and governments, from helping Afghan muslims out of poverty and backwardness? Would Medicins Sans Frontiers turn away a group of muslims doctors and nurses showed up at the doors because the muslims' governments did not authorize their assistance to the infidels? If there is a guarantee that begging would create a return to Afghanistan by the muslims, except this time to build roads and dig wells instead of shooting off Stinger missiles, I will be the first in line to plead. I will even rub onions and habanero peppers to my eyes to create tears to placate muslim pride if necessary.

So there is a discrepancy between the muslim governments and the ordinary muslims they ruled over. The muslim governments do not perceive US presence in Iraq and Afghanistan to be a threat. Their lack of a comparable response to the Soviets support that perception. The ordinary muslims, however, believe that the US is in Iraq and Afghanistan to 'oppress' the muslims, to 'steal' their oil, to prepare for the return of Jesus, to create more territories for the Jews, to assorted loony conspiracies, etc...etc...And the muslims governments do nothing to dispel what they know to be false perceptions. The Afghan muslims will be left to the well meaning but clumsy administrations of the infidels. The muslims will not hesitate to boast about their military victories over the Soviet infidels, but stay away under the cover of false perceptions when challenged to DO works of peace in Afghanistan. Do little but say much.

Military power, and mission, is only a means to an end. A political end. What is the political end that the invasion was meant to achieve? The West clearly hasn't a clue.
And we can conclude that by staying away, the muslims are equally clueless. So much for YOUR criticisms that we do not understand the social differences and dynamics of the locals. Someone once said that it is a worthy goal for a wise man to deceive a fool. Of course, the corollary for that would be it is equally a worthy goal for the same wise man to correct the fool and to show the world who is the clear superior when warranted. Do much but say little. By all means, YOU leave comfortable Australia the wise man for Afghanistan and show US how foolish we are there. Do deceive the fools for entertainment when nothing else is at stake, but now there are fellow muslims in Afghanistan who needs help. So what does the muslim 'wise men' like yourself do? Zilch.

How on earth do you manage to glean that conclusion from my statement? My point was that if NATO, i.e. the Western governments, really had Afghan wellbeing as their primary goal, they would have implemented policies to that effect. Biden is only an example. Take his plan, take any plan, and implement it. If there are military prerequisies of stability, then execute a strategy to achieve those objectives. What is all this fancy military might for? If it can't achieve the political objectives, is it just for show? Or is NATO so incompetent that it can't achieve the objectives set for it?
So the implication as highlighted is that we are not in Afghanistan for the sake of the people. So what are we there for? But...Of course...To 'oppress' the muslims...To 'steal' their oil via the Karzai-Unocal pipeline...To create more territories for the Jews...To prepare for the return of Jesus...I hope I covered all the major loony conspiracies.

...mooooslims....moooslims......mooslims

Since all you have offered are strawmen arguments and your standard off-the-shelf anti-Muslim rant, I take it you have no answer to the issues I raised.

Remember, it was you who brough up the issue of Muslim perceptions, only to dismiss it later, and launch into your favorite tirade. A clear example of derailing a thread.

Bottom line, NATO didn't deliver squat in Afghanistan. You can call it incompetence, you can call it indifference, or you can point fingers all over the place -- at Pakistan, at the Muslims, at the Afghans themselves. Whatever. A collection of the wealthiest. most powerful nations on Earth who managed, after eight years of incompetence, to deliver absolutely zilch. Worse than zilch. You bombed a country and destroyed whatever meager infrastructure it had.

It is the height of arrogance to bomb a country and then brush it off saying there was not much there to begin with. It may be a dirt road or a rusty bicycle to you, but to the poor farmer who used it to make a living, it means the end of his livelihood. And you compound your ignorance and arrogance by expecting others to clean up your mess, and berating them for not doing so.

The Afghan people have lost faith in NATO. Even the Western people are wondering what exactly their soldiers are dying for?

Since all you have offered are strawmen arguments and your standard off-the-shelf anti-Muslim rant, I take it you have no answer to the issues I raised.
Ah, yes...The old tried and true 'anti-Muslim' bigotry charge again. I have to admit to a wee bit amount of envy that you have something to fall back upon when faced with a teaspoonful of your own medicine.

Remember, it was you who brough up the issue of Muslim perceptions, only to dismiss it later, and launch into your favorite tirade. A clear example of derailing a thread.
If we limit our bootprint in Afghanistan, we will be criticized for not doing enough. If we do more, then we will be accused of:

- Oppressing the muslims.
- Stealing their oil thru the Karzai-Unocal pipeline.
- Preparing for the return of Jesus.
- Taking muslim lands for the Jews.

Anything else I missed? But it is telling that it was YOU who criticized US for not doing more with an Afghanistan version of a 'Marshall Plan' and when I pointed out how flawed that argument really is, it is YOU who have no answers to your own argument.

Bottom line, NATO didn't deliver squat in Afghanistan. You can call it incompetence, you can call it indifference, or you can point fingers all over the place -- at Pakistan, at the Muslims, at the Afghans themselves. Whatever. A collection of the wealthiest. most powerful nations on Earth who managed, after eight years of incompetence, to deliver absolutely zilch. Worse than zilch. You bombed a country and destroyed whatever meager infrastructure it had.

It is the height of arrogance to bomb a country and then brush it off saying there was not much there to begin with. It may be a dirt road or a rusty bicycle to you, but to the poor farmer who used it to make a living, it means the end of his livelihood. And you compound your ignorance and arrogance by expecting others to clean up your mess, and berating them for not doing so.

The Afghan people have lost faith in NATO. Even the Western people are wondering what exactly their soldiers are dying for?
Bottom line is...The Afghan muslims have lost equal faith in their muslim brothers, if not more, but at least they see who is trying in Afghanistan. The post WW II European Marshall Plan was a collaborative effort. So why are there so few muslims collaborating with US/NATO in Afghanistan? Why is this legitimate question considered to be 'anti-Muslim'? Fair minded people will see that it is the greater height of arrogance on YOUR part to advocate a policy that upon even cursory examination is inapplicable and that the muslims have no alternate solutions other than to sit back and criticize those who are trying to create a better Afghanistan.

Last edited:
Gambit:

You Americans (myself being one...or in transition at the very least) need to understand that it is not in the Pakistan Army's core interests to see the US succeed in Afghanistan.

they see Afghanistan as their own playground, and any stable government there will become a friendly nation towards India, which they absolutely detest and will do anything to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom