What's new

Avalanche traps about 150 Pakistani soldiers

Military activity responsible for glacier tragedy: Expert

364472-Siachentragedyphotoapp-1334377501-401-640x480.jpg

Debunks ‘myth’ that Siachen is melting due to global warming.

ISLAMABAD: Experts believe that military activity across the Siachen area caused the glacier to ‘surge’, which led to the recent tragedy in the Giari sector.

“It was neither a cloudburst nor an avalanche, but a ‘glacier surge’ that took the lives of our soldiers,” said Arshad Abbasi, an authority on glaciers and a consultant with the Sustainable Development and Policy Institute (SDPI).

Glacier surges are caused either by a rise in temperature or tectonic movements, during which glaciers advance substantially, he said.

Having checked the record of tremors occurring in the last month and not finding any evidence, Abbasi insists that a rise in temperature caused the ice at the base of the glacier to melt, reducing the frictional resistance keeping it from sliding downwards.

The rise in temperature is directly proportionate to the excessive military presence in the area, he said.

The latest images of the glacier show “visible cracks in its midst and the number of glacial lakes formed beneath it,” he added. Abbasi also rejected the impression that global warming was causing the Siachen glacier to melt.

The adjoining Baltoro Glacier is not only stable, but has also gained mass compared to its volume in 1904, he said.

He cited a NASA report titled ‘Advancing Glaciers and Positive Mass Anomaly in the Karakoram Himalaya’ which states that more than 65% of glaciers in the Karakoram are growing.

“Therefore, it is a myth that Siachen is melting because of global warming; it is a case of direct human interference,” Abbasi said.

He said it is time that the global community works with Pakistani and Indian leaders to save Himalayan glaciers by solving the long-standing Siachen dispute.

Meanwhile, adviser to the federal government on climate Qamar Zaman Chaudhry said heavy military presence of India and Pakistan has definitely had an impact on the glacier surge in Siachen.

He agreed that the area needs to be declared an independent glacier park by withdrawing forces from both sides.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 14th, 2012.

I just read some really insensitive comments by some indians on the internet and all I can say is that i am ashamed.

Purely by observation such people are a minority and i hope they are very young and sober down as they mature.

You have my appreciation. I saw some too, but in the same place I saw our old member, the Indian Brigadier take them on and silence them.

So no worries, Indians are humans too, each are affected by their life experiences. The ones with a happier life will feel sad at a tragedy, the ones with sad lives will be happy to see misery.

i have heard some news regarding life signs while digging glacier any info on it ??

You have my appreciation. I saw some too, but in the same place I saw our old member, the Indian Brigadier take them on and silence them.

So no worries, Indians are humans too, each are affected by their life experiences. The ones with a happier life will feel sad at a tragedy, the ones with sad lives will be happy to see misery.

Asim, I'll just say this: the most insecure have to be the most agressive.
In the animal world, a dog that is mortally afraid bares its fangs the greatest; we've inherited some animal traits- but that is besides the point.

Hopefully the exhausting and nerve-wracking operations under-way should find a closure as speedily and safely as possible. And the affected families assisted in every way to put this massive tragedy behind them; if such a thing is possible.

In the end time is the ultimate healer.

i have heard some news regarding life signs while digging glacier any info on it ??

ISPR is supposed to release a press release about something significant in a few hours...Dont know whats that significant thing...
Heard this o n ARY.

No PR85/2012-ISPR Dated: April 14, 2012
Rawalpindi - April 14, 2012:
Update Avalanche Clearance at Gayari Sector Siachen

Search and rescue Operation at Gayari continues even in extremely cold conditions. A fresh slide, which had triggered at the site of old avalanche, have created difficulties for troops devoted to conducting search and rescue operation at Gayari. The situation has been compounded by the mass of snow in which troops are working under low temperature, intermittent snowfall and piercing blizzards. However, concern of their brothers at arms under avalanche is driving troops of Siachen Sector to endure hardships of the weather and terrain to accomplish their task befittingly.
The excavation work, therefore, continue at its fullest exploiting all available manual and mechanical resources. The endeavour is to dig as quickly as possible. In this regard, the search teams have commenced excavation at a new site as well with the help of plant equipment and infantry troops. The rescue teams have conducted first level explosion to dig further into hard mass of snow against the tunnel being attempted to access a suspected structure at an important excavation site. The digging team is doing a remarkable job in undertaking the tunnelling effort against all odds like heavy pileup of snow, extreme cold and cramped up work space. The excavation work at the remaining sites continues as usual. The all out support rendered by the nation by making maximum resources available have boosted the morale of the troops and given them vigour to undertake the mammoth task

So, there was another slide.

Explosives are now being used, most probably the ones brought by the foreign teams.

3149.jpg

ISPR has also said that it will give a media tour of the area to press to see the area.

global warming is responsible for melting our glaciers, soon all glaciers in pakistan will vanish

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom