What's new

AWC's IRST Pod

Hi,

It was done out of sheer stupidity---. Integrated body mounted IRST was a must from the begining----but as they were copying the gripen---that is why they left irst out---even though the J10 being developed at the same time had irst.

Hi,

It was done out of sheer stupidity---. Integrated body mounted IRST was a must from the begining----but as they were copying the gripen---that is why they left irst out---even though the J10 being developed at the same time had irst.
No mastan Bahi I think J-10 A doesn't had IRST throughout it's developmental stages but J-10 B and C have an IRST, correct me if I am wrong

No mastan Bahi I think J-10 A doesn't had IRST throughout it's developmental stages but J-10 B and C have an IRST, correct me if I am wrong
People keep forgetting the urgency with the integration of JFT. It was required to replace the legacy fighters which have to be replaced on an urgent basis. We may have been a bit enthiuusiastic and I have to say Mastan Khan was right in assuming that it will take a lot longer to attain the sort of maturity that was needed of it. But I think PAF was aware all along and that was why it wernt with what it could afford and the idea was to include newer tech as it came on line. In this aspect also one has to have two factors prior to induction:
A) a suitable product which is available at a reasonable price.
B) Money to induct trial and integrate it with the current product.
It is these two factors which have kept JFT from developing at the expected pace.
It will eventually have IRST and AESA but the pace of induction will depend on the above factors. Neither PAFnor the Chinese had access to a suitable product at the time when JFT was inducted and IRST was installed in J10 Bs in 2011-12. Block wise change approach would mean we will probably see it in later Block 2s or 3.
A

I'd say the switch from F-7Ps with AIM-9s and GPBs to JF-17 Blk-1 with SD-10, LT/LS GBs, an actual EW pod, and radar with 75-85km+ range is pretty significant in its own right.

1013190_614081961946516_1791725181_n.jpg

Hi,

You are correct about that---. J10B I think came around 2008 approximately---so---between then and now---a dedicated integrated IRST should have been a priority---just like in the J10B---.

The issue over here is that when you are an underdog----you have to do things differently----. There is an urgency and commitment in your actions and footsteps---. There is a fire that consumes you---and that is what I did not see in the JF17 program.

There were too many loopholes---there were too many ifs and buts----too many places where neglect was shown without digging in deeper and understanding the changing environment---.

The lack of give and take between Paf and france---devastated this JF17 program and pushed it back by 5 years.

Paf is not a car salesman----it is a fighting force---they are warriors and they are smug in their beliefs----can't listen to anyone---won't listen to anyone.

But if anyone was looking at the scenario of that time---it came as a no surprise that the french refused the sale of the radar and other electronics----.

The thing is that the pakistanis had not sweetened the deal enough in the prior years for the french to stick with pakistan---and then to top it off---the deaths of pakistani engineers in pakistan that the pakistanis took very casually.

As I have stated many a times---time is the enemy---if you have a need for it---if you have the funds---then you need to get it before other issues pop up.

the sanctions were in place (pressler in 90s) before the project began so components were already blocked. It was an AWC project with indigenous companies as stake holders. Also, if IRST was deemed so important, they could have made it easily in the post 9/11 period.

It was bought through a Russian company via Belarus, brokered by Shazad Shaikh of Intertrade Ltd in UAE.

The IRST didn't come from SAGEM/SELEX. it came from Russia via third party brokers.

It was bought through a Russian company via Belarus, brokered by Shazad Shaikh of Intertrade Ltd in UAE.

The IRST didn't come from SAGEM/SELEX. it came from Russia via third party brokers.

We were talking about a new IRST being developed by AWC with help from an unnamed European firm .. As reporte by Usman Ansari.

Back
Top Bottom