What's new

Azerbaijan Defence Programs & Military Development

Additions, Turkey and Azerbaijan signed a deal worth 200 million $ for 36 T-155 Firtina. Hope to see Firtina's in Azerbaijan inventory in a short time...

Images from 30 August 2009 Victory Day !!!

2gy9307.jpg
n550uu.jpg
jpty6f.jpg
FIRTINA_3.jpg

Additions, 3 Turkish institutes and Azerbaijani border army signed an agreement worth 300 million $. Details aren't known yet...

-Turkey offered partnership to Azerbaijan for Altay MBT program. At present, They are talking with Ukraine to order some tanks. I Think Azerbaijan will order Ukrainian tanks urgently instead of waiting for Altay MBT development until 2017...

-It is expected to reach an agreement for T-129 Atak helicopters.

-FNSS is talking Azerbaijan for a joint establishment to develop Azerbaijani IFV. (I don't know the final situation)

-I do have great expectation for Azerbaijan to join one of Turkey's Low and Medium Altitude Air defence missile programs worth almost 1 billion $ development budget...

-Azerbaijan choosed Israel as a supplier of UAV's and AT missiles.

Some questions....

Are the Otokar Cobras in the picture a few posts above this one the ones purchased from Turkey in the deal last month? Are they more improved than the ones sold to Georgia in 2008?

Is there some kind of new base in Yevlakh?

Is Istiglal in regular use now on the frontline??

-Azerbaijan choosed Israel as a supplier of UAV's and AT missiles.

Aren't Israeli UAVs produced in Azerbaijan under license?

I see the fact that most Azerbaijani APCs have open-top turrets with attached 50cals I believe there's a market for Aselsan SARP. Also Azerbaijan's army aviation could use Turkish avionics and electro-optics. We can do a lot of modernisation for Azerbaijan.

Some questions....

1-Are the Otokar Cobras in the picture a few posts above this one the ones purchased from Turkey in the deal last month? Are they more improved than the ones sold to Georgia in 2008?

2-Aren't Israeli UAVs produced in Azerbaijan under license?

1-As far as i know no upgrade made to Cobra since its creation.

2-As far as i know Israeli Herons sold to Azerbaijan but not build under license production.

I think it is not bad to have a look at defense industry and productions in Azerbaijan.

Industry:
The major military companies of Azerbaijan are:

RPE Iglim, aviation and shipbuilding
Radiogurashdirma, communication means and radio-electronic
RPE Neftgazavtomat, devices and automation systems for monitoring technological processes
RPE Automatic Lines, non-standard equipment and products for application in electrotechnical and machine engineering
Avia-Agregat, multi-purpose aviation equipment, various airdrome conditioners, universal container of board conductor, air-to-air radiators, fuel-oil, air-to-air heat exchangers and ventilators

Products:
The following weapon systems have been produced in Azerbaijan during the last five years:

• Istiglal IST-14.5 anti-materiel rifle Istiglal Anti-Material Rifle (successfully exported to other countries.)
• IST – 12.7 mm calibre sniper rifle
• AK-74, AK-74M assault rifles (licensed)
• UP-7.62 submachine gun
• Inam, Zafar, and Zafar-K pistols (jointly with the TISAS company of Turkey)
• 7.62 x 54 mm submachine gun to be integrated with tanks and armoured vehicles
• RPG-7V2 hand-held anti-tank grenade launcher (Qaya-1 and Qaya-2)
• 60 mm mortar
• 82 mm mortar
• 107 mm reactive volley-fire system (gate mechanism and missiles)
• Matador and Marauder mine-protected armoured vehicles (jointly with the Paramount Group of South Africa)

Other products include small-arms, munitions for artillery-type weapons, mines, Qigilcim mine and bomb clearance system, helmets, ballistic protection, optical devices, collimator, thermal sighting system, multi-spectral covers, dosimeters for submariners.

@ Ir.Tab, Azerbaijan produces the "Khazri" variant of 74-M, I believe. It looks like they are only being issued to internal troops though (this is what I gather from day.az forums). Are frontline Azeris still using AKM?

Also, some of those defense companies that you have listed are now non-operational.

@ Ir.Tab, Azerbaijan produces the "Khazri" variant of 74-M, I believe. It looks like they are only being issued to internal troops though (this is what I gather from day.az forums). Are frontline Azeris still using AKM?

The production line started 2011, so I think the process of replacement just has started. Also Azerbaijan has jointed the MPT project of Turkey (both MPT & AK47 are 7.62mm caliber compared to AK74 5.56mm) There is a 5.56mm version of Turkish weapon so ... AK47 is not a bad rifle, by itself. Then please wait to see what is the final Baku's decision.

Also, some of those defense companies that you have listed are now non-operational.

Maybe, The provided references by me could be wrong especially the wiki one. Do you have any support for the claim?

Another news:
Azerbaijan's first satellites (lunch: January 2013)

Some questions....

Are the Otokar Cobras in the picture a few posts above this one the ones purchased from Turkey in the deal last month? Are they more improved than the ones sold to Georgia in 2008?

Aren't Israeli UAVs produced in Azerbaijan under license?

-Azerbaijani Cobra's are standart one being in Georgian, Nigerian, Khazakistan.. and Turkish inventory. Slovenian NBC Cobra's are specially modified in accordance with costumer's requirement and provide much more protection than standart Cobra's Turkish and Azerbaijani have.

Slovenian Cobra

dscn0128w-1.jpg

A new modified Cobra having 4 doors have been introduced as well.

Fjlje.jpg

Cobra-II was also developed and offered for USA JLTV program...

cobra25.jpg

The production line started 2011, so I think the process of replacement just has started. Also Azerbaijan has jointed the MPT project of Turkey (both MPT & AK47 are 7.62mm caliber compared to AK74 5.56mm) There is a 5.56mm version of Turkish weapon so ... AK47 is not a bad rifle, by itself. Then please wait to see what is the final Baku's decision.
7.62x51 NATO has much more kinetic energy than 7.62x39 AK47 cartridge with longer range. Suffice to say they are not comperable. AKs maybe better for CQC. In a mountainous area like say... karabagh they will surely use MPT mostly because of picatinny rails and extended effective range.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom