What's new

Azerbaijan Defence Programs & Military Development

-Azerbaijani Cobra's are standart one being in Georgian, Nigerian, Khazakistan.. and Turkish inventory. Slovenian NBC Cobra's are specially modified in accordance with costumer's requirement and provide much more protection than standart Cobra's Turkish and Azerbaijani have.

The point being that Georgian-used Cobras were terrible. Many were captured during 2008 war, and the body was not very protective. I am told that it was not uncommon from a bullet to penetrate the armor and ricochet multiple times in the interior, tearing all the soldiers to shreds.

IMO the Khazri is not much of a step from the Russian-designed/made alternative. Simply another way for Aliyev to assert "Azerbaijani identity."

The MPT does look cool though. Hopefully, if it is introduced to Azeri army, it will give new impetus to Armenian army to start mass production of the K3 or VAHAN rifle.

The point being that Georgian-used Cobras were terrible. Many were captured during 2008 war, and the body was not very protective. I am told that it was not uncommon from a bullet to penetrate the armor and ricochet multiple times in the interior, tearing all the soldiers to shreds.

IMO the Khazri is not much of a step from the Russian-designed/made alternative. Simply another way for Aliyev to assert "Azerbaijani identity."

The MPT does look cool though. Hopefully, if it is introduced to Azeri army, it will give new impetus to Armenian army to start mass production of the K3 or VAHAN rifle.

Its not the he vehicle's fault if you try to use it like some kind of light tank. Cobra is successful in its class.

Because Georgians used it in wrong way, or they had to, you cannot drive Cobras into BMPs. Don't compare Georgian military with that of Azerbaijan, huge differences.

This thread, as far as I understand, is not about military prowess. It is simply about the quality of the equipment. You don't think that Azerbaijan will have an easier time driving those things up Armenian mountains than when Georgia used them against the Russians do?

There is no reason to believe that Azeri military is more combat-prepared than Georgian military, statistically speaking.

Its not the he vehicle's fault if you try to use it like some kind of light tank. Cobra is successful in its class.

Unless the Cobras are simply for Internal Troops, I don't see how they could be useful. For example, I can see there merit when being used in the ME, where the enemy doesn't usually have large caliber weaponry and the likes. But in the Caucasus is a different story.

Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan are among the countries showing interest to SA-22 (Pantsir-S1). Russia is reportedly holding negotiations with those countries. (Mon 13 February 2012)

APA - Azerbaijan and Russia hold negotiations on ?Pantsir-S1? surface-to-air missile system

This news is 9 months old. What was the result of the negotiations?

There is more suitable vehicles for more protection, Cobra is not made to endure heavy calibers, its a light&rapid vehicle thats gives certain amount of protection and armament to troops, can you use heavy big-*** vehicles in every situation ?

There is more suitable vehicles for more protection, Cobra is not made to endure heavy calibers, its a light&rapid vehicle thats gives certain amount of protection and armament to troops, can you use heavy big-*** vehicles in every situation ?

Which APCs would Azerbaijan use in that case, if not the Cobras?

Quality ifvs would give better protection, but not much vehicle able to fully protect the troops againts high calibers, cannons etc. Azerbaijan has currently Soviet stuff but these are lesser or more trash in our times, they have plenty of Turkish options, I don't know if they're interested.

There is no doubt that cobra as a ligt armoured vehicle, is one of the best in its class. Thats why tens of countries operate them. The protection level of Cobra is clear and the countries ordered the vehicles, must use them in accordance with mission profile. Noone can expect Cobra to do what an ifv can in bf.

btw, russia just captured 2 cobra.

Which APCs would Azerbaijan use in that case, if not the Cobras?

It depends on what Azerbaijan demands in accordance with protection level, troop carriage capabilities. Turkish land sector is really advanced and provide everything costumer require from heavy to ligt armoured both tracked and wheeled vehicles. Check them with a small search .

I understood the purpose of the Cobra from the very beginning. I just can't imagine a scenario where they would give Azerbaijan a tactical advantage.

I understood the purpose of the Cobra from the very beginning. I just can't imagine a scenario where they would give Azerbaijan a tactical advantage.

As a Light Armored Vehicle giving protection againts assault rifles , machine guns , hand grenades , mortars , rpg and IEDs not enough for you? Cobra's mission is the rapid and safely deployment of soldiers not to go againts IFVs or Light Tanks! Cobra countless times proved itself in Turkey by saving soldiers life from IEDs and ambushes planted by PKK , as far as i know not even 1 TSK personal lost his/her life in Cobra APC despite the countless IEDs planted by PKK.

As for the tactical advantage i think those Cobras would the job just fine in a possible scenario where Armenian army retreated and abandoned Karabagh so Azeribaijan forces need enter and cleanse city from Armenian insurgents hiding inside buildings with movable milita weapons in their hands(machine guns,grenades and rpgs).

Cobra's on the hunting

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=iwo5wDDAWyo[/video]

This news is 9 months old. What was the result of the negotiations?

I only saw border troops with cobra. Internal troops have equipped with variants of armored Otokar's defender-based products.

You are right, more than 9 months and that was why I included the date in the post to see is there any updated news.

Does anyone have any information about Barak-8 system specification? Or the class of possibly new purchased submarine(s) to replace Triton-2M fleet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom