What's new

Baithak: Cultures & Colors of Pakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well your posts have more emotional rants than any coherent argument

Now look at what you have said above. Can we get any idea what you are talking about? lol

I am Punjabi pothwari by birth and i crictise the wrong doings of anyone be it punjabi, pashtuns, sindhi or even my own brother , now what it has anything to do with racism. I was just saying that you should not try to be more holy than others as you were asking for right to criticise muhajir. I personally don't look at any Pakistani through ethnic glasses because for me they are all equal and deserve respect and as far as political parties concern be ir ANP, PML, PPP or MQM, i am not neither fan of any of these. All of them are dakoo

Sorry in that post see was "say". I was giving an example to explain to you my situation... not insulting you for being a Punjabi. I guess it becomes more clear with "say"

:hitwall: :hitwall: Yaar from this where you found criticism of Punjabis? Literally for the past year all I have done is defend other ethnic groups from my crazy MQM supporting family and khandaan.

You didn't read my posts... everything I am doing is for ethnic unity and I hear this? :angry:

I AM BY BIRTH A MUHAJIR, MY MOM IS ONE, MY DAD IS ONE, MY CHACHA IS ONE MY PHUPPI IS ONE, MY DADA IS ONE, MY KHALA IS ONE... THIS IS WHAT I WAS INDIRECTLY SAYING... I WAS ALSO SAYING A MUHAJIR BY BIRTH HAS MORE OF A RIGHT TO CONDEMN MUHAJIRS THAN SAY SOMEONE FROM ANOTHER ETHNIC GROUP. I WAS ANGERED BY RACISM FROM FELLOW MUHAJIRS WHICH WAS PART OF A NUMBER OF REASONS I QUIT MY RACE TO ADOPT PASHTUN CULTURE AND TRADITIONS.

What I was trying to say being born from this ethnic group I think I have a very natural right to criticize Muhajirs. Maybe I didn't check up on the post and correct spelling errors or you didn't read my old posts on account of them being too long to understand what I was saying.

No Raja Pakistani my dear friend... you don't but even anyone who isn't a racist does not criticize wrong-doings of other ethnic groups (Even @Armstrong runs away in his efforts to create ethnic unity) and especially refer to the ethnic group instead of say MQM. For example I even after adopting pashtun culture and traditions do not criticize a lot of aspects and have never criticized Pashtuns themselves because its like after adopting their race i am trying to tell them what to do. That is why you tried to stop me from taking my frustration out on all Muhajirs.

Man, this is the problem. None of you read my old posts and then say I am being racist. The word racist does not apply when you are insulting your own ethnic group of birth. I understand your feelings in this regard but you have not seen what I saw.

Man if you read that loooong post meant for Karachite for before commenting it would have been so much easier. I feel like a herald whose job is to repeat the message of the king over and over like a retard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, this is the problem. None of you read my old posts and then say I am being racist. The word racist does not apply when you are insulting your own ethnic group of birth. I understand your feelings in this regard but you have not seen what I saw.

Man if you read that loooong post meant for Karachite for before commenting it would have been so much easier. I feel like a herald whose job is to repeat the message of the king over and over like a retard.

Dear i never called you or anyone racist. I was even speaking about this obsession with ethnicity throughout my posts which according to me is not doing any good for Pakistan. Take pakistan/Pakistani as a cricket team and we like/ cheers for anyone who perform good for pakistan be it gul/afridi, junaid/ajmal/nasir and we criticize anyone who dont perform on ground irrespective of their ethnicity and that's how it should be in real life. I just did not like your statement which i quoted where you said let me criticize muhajir. You were not specific towards altaf or any specific people but you were generalizing muhajirs as if they were all pro-Indian or anti-Pakistani and deserve your criticism

sorry for any misunderstanding and you guys carry on this discussion :)

All the time people are misunderstanding me... @Raja.Pakistani post something about Potohari language. I hope you stay loyal to your language, work to promote it... i can only apologize for what us migrants did (even though I have repeated more than 100+ times i do not consider myself Muhajir but Pakistani first second and last and then trying to merge into Pashtuns :p ) But our families ignorance like that of many other migrant families is a major issue. Urdu is slowly replacing all these beautiful indigenous languages.

The problem was greatly compounded by the failure of migrants to Karachi to merge within the national fabric or if not that then into the local ethnic groups, instead now we have become a headache with terror chief altaf. Now everything is in muhajirs favor but our family members still continue this we are oppressed and karachi is our baap ki jageer rubbish. Urdu was to be a neutral language-just like Persian had been the official language of mughals when no one within really knew it except aristocrats. That way no one could claim discrimination had occurred.

Do post something about Potohari here. This section is about our various cultures. Maybe some basic terms in Potohari if you can speak. :)

@Babbar-Khalsa Samadhi of Ranjit Singh. Pakistani-Sikh culture:

Ranjit Singh, the one-eyed Sikh ruler of the Punjab (ruled 1801-1839), considered himself the heir to the Mughal Empire. Among the people, he was known as Sher-e-Punjab (lion of Punjab). He not only followed many of the customs of the Mughal court, he built buildings utilizing elements pilfered from Mughal monuments, and other buildings influenced by Mughal architectural tradition. In all fairness to him, even though he had conquered the citadel of the Mughals, he is said to have never seated himself on the throne in the Fort.

Ranjit Singh's Samadhi (tomb) is located adjacent to the southeastern wall of the Badshahi Mosque. The death of Ranjit Singh heralded a period of intense warfare among his successors and paved the way for the annexation of the Punjab by the British. According to custom, Ranjit Singh's body was placed on a pyre and along with him were burnt alive his 'very handsome' four wives—the four ranees (queens)—seven slave girls, one of whom was a beautiful Kashmiri girl called 'Lotus' or Kanwal. The consuming of the pile took two full days after which the task of separating ashes and bones for storing in separate urns was carried out.

The mausoleum was begun by his son Kharak Singh on the spot where he was cremated, and was completed by Dalip Singh in 1848. The tomb is a splendid example of Sikh architecture, with gilded fluted domes and cupolas and an ornate balustrade round the top. The interior is well detailed, much of the marble elements, it is said, having been appropriated from Mughal monuments—the beautiful marble doorway entrance perhaps belonging to the citadel's Shah Burj. The central marble urn in the form of a lotus on the grave carries the remains of the Maharaja, while marble knobs hold the ashes of 11 women who immolated themselves. Also seen in the chamber are portraits of the Maharaja and the last Sikh ruler, the infant Dulip Singh.

At the same floor level, on the south of Ranjit Singh's Samadhi are located the samadhis of his son Kharrak Singh and his grandson Nau Nehal Singh and their wives. These structures are treated simply and although the architectural style is similar, the grand treatment of the earlier samadhi is no longer in evidence.

4909911161_51ac4fba16.jpg

img_0546_tn.jpg

IM_Lahore_Ranjit_Singh_Samadhi_interior_of_shrine.jpg

Ranjit Singh's Samadhi

Did you move from Pakistani Punjab side or are you originally from Indian Punjab?

All the time people are misunderstanding me... @Raja.Pakistani post something about Potohari language. I hope you stay loyal to your language, work to promote it...

Did you move from Pakistani Punjab side or are you originally from Indian Punjab?

well our village is matore and tehsil is kahuta . My father was in army and we got the chance to view the beauty of each province of Pakistan. We all know Grand father of Shah rukh khan general shah nawaz khan was also born in matore and current director General of ISI Zaher ul islam is also from there. We never moved from any where but were living there before partition side by side with Hindus and sikhs who were migrated to india after partition. Matore was one of the few town in Rawalpindi region who tried to make sure the safe migration of hindus and sikhs to india. Photowari lanaguge is Indo-Aryan lanaguge and is bit rough not as delicate/sweet as Urdu :)

well our village is matore and tehsil is kahuta . My father was in army and we got the chance to view the beauty of each province of Pakistan. We all know Grand father of Shah rukh khan general shah nawaz khan was also born in matore and current director General of ISI Zaher ul islam is also from there. We never moved from any where but were living there before partition side by side with Hindus and sikhs who were migrated to india after partition. Matore was one of the few town in Rawalpindi region who tried to make sure the safe migration of hindus and sikhs to india. Photowari lanaguge is Indo-Aryan lanaguge and is bit rough not as delicate/sweet as Urdu :)

You know Raja Pakistani I learned something today. Basically I learned that I am talking non-stop but have never tried to figure out whether my posts were coherent enough. :P Have no idea how I will be successful as an author if my readers won't be able to understand what i write.

First part was for you:
All the time people are misunderstanding me... @Raja.Pakistani post something about Potohari language. I hope you stay loyal to your language, work to promote it... i can only apologize for what us migrants did (even though I have repeated more than 100+ times i do not consider myself Muhajir but Pakistani first second and last and then trying to merge into Pashtuns :p ) But our families ignorance like that of many other migrant families is a major issue. Urdu is slowly replacing all these beautiful indigenous languages.

Last part was actually for Babbar-Khalsa, another user of PDF. This question also. :)

My next post is dedicated to you my friend. :)
My original message in simple terms for you is don't lose Potohari as a language... linguistic and cultural diversity is what makes Pakistan what it is. It is great to know about your family background.

My original message in simple terms for you is don't lose Potohari as a language... linguistic and cultural diversity is what makes Pakistan what it is. It is great to know about your family background.

I'm confused now ! :blink:

Then why were you arguing for, what I understood to be, 'assimilation' into the local cultures & languages of the land for the Muhajirs ? :what:

@Raja.Pakistani

Spoken natively in Pakistan
Region Pothohar region and Azad Kashmir
Native speakers 49,400 (2000)[1]
Language family
Indo-European

Indo-Iranian
Indo-Aryan
North-Western Zone
Lahnda
Potwari

POTOHARI SHAYARI
howy yaar jo dilan da sakht khoota ,usdey moun methey nou ki karna
howy sajan tey deway didar kidrey, sari umar de rothy nou ki karna,
hondi apne kheyat de khaak behtar,kisi gheyar dey sitey nou ki karna,
wafadaraan da daman ZAMURD chad k, sirf ik raang chetey nou ki karna.

Read more: http://www.******************/potohari-shayari-t2505.html#ixzz2Gy003pdE

Poetry from Muzzafarabad (Potwari language)
Muzaffarabad Ajk Tv Funny Poetry in Pahari Language - YouTube

5 dialects of Potohari:
Potwari forms a dialect chain with Panjabi and Hindko. Potwari dialects include:[1]

Dhundi-Kairali (Pahari)
Potwari
Chibhali
Punchhi (Poonchi)
Mirpuri

mastigb0.jpg

UTEY JANAT THALE MASEET QABA,MOMAN DIL DE VICH AABAD KARDA,
ESEY DAFATROON JANDI REPOT UTTEY,JIS NAAL AQIDAT KOI YAAD KARDA,
BINA NABRON HONDA FONE UTHEY,AEY PAR FONE TEY KHON JAHAAD KARDA,
JITHEY P-C-O-NAAFAS DA QEYAM hanfi,uthon ghalan pea naam nahad karda..

Read more: http://www.******************/potohari-shayari-t2505.html#ixzz2Gy2QFV85

1324036171_people_mian_m_baksh.jpg

^^^^^^ Above is Mian Muhammed Baksh... Potwari poet and sufi saint.

BTW I always thought Shahrukh Khan had Pashtun roots. Guess I was totally wrong if his grandfather was Potohari. But could still be Pashtun right... cauz Potohar plateau has some Pashtuns as well. This is a minority language... very few speakers. What efforts are being made to preserve it by the way?

You know Raja Pakistani I learned something today. Basically I learned that I am talking non-stop but have never tried to figure out whether my posts were coherent enough. :P Have no idea how I will be successful as an author if my readers won't be able to understand what i write.

First part was for you:

Last part was actually for Babbar-Khalsa, another user of PDF. This question also. :)

Thanks and No worries dude :)

Its forum where sometimes people get misunderstanding because of wrong selection of words and also could get confuse when you mix up different thoughts in one post. Its always better to be precise than posting long paragraphs. You are right diversity of each province is what make Pakistan beautiful and we should be open hearted to appreciate the beauty of each province and ethnicity

^^^^^^ Above is Mian Muhammed Baksh... Potwari poet and sufi saint.

This one is dedicated to you :)

BTW I always thought Shahrukh Khan had Pashtun roots. Guess I was totally wrong if his grandfather was Potohari. But could still be Pashtun right... cauz Potohar plateau has some Pashtuns as well. This is a minority language... very few speakers. What efforts are being made to preserve it by the way?

shah nawaz khan was his nana and yea from father side he has pashtun root but his mother lateefa was adopted daughter of general shah nawaz khan and boxer amir khan also live in same town and have same roots :)

The problem was greatly compounded by the failure of migrants to Karachi to merge within the national fabric or if not that then into the local ethnic groups, instead now we have become a headache with terror chief altaf. Now everything is in muhajirs favor but our family members still continue this we are oppressed and karachi is our baap ki jageer rubbish. Urdu was to be a neutral language-just like Persian had been the official language of mughals when no one within really knew it except aristocrats. That way no one could claim discrimination had occurred.

Do post something about Potohari here. This section is about our various cultures. Maybe some basic terms in Potohari if you can speak. :)

@Babbar-Khalsa Samadhi of Ranjit Singh. Pakistani-Sikh culture:

Ranjit Singh, the one-eyed Sikh ruler of the Punjab (ruled 1801-1839), considered himself the heir to the Mughal Empire. Among the people, he was known as Sher-e-Punjab (lion of Punjab). He not only followed many of the customs of the Mughal court, he built buildings utilizing elements pilfered from Mughal monuments, and other buildings influenced by Mughal architectural tradition. In all fairness to him, even though he had conquered the citadel of the Mughals, he is said to have never seated himself on the throne in the Fort.

Ranjit Singh's Samadhi (tomb) is located adjacent to the southeastern wall of the Badshahi Mosque. The death of Ranjit Singh heralded a period of intense warfare among his successors and paved the way for the annexation of the Punjab by the British. According to custom, Ranjit Singh's body was placed on a pyre and along with him were burnt alive his 'very handsome' four wives—the four ranees (queens)—seven slave girls, one of whom was a beautiful Kashmiri girl called 'Lotus' or Kanwal. The consuming of the pile took two full days after which the task of separating ashes and bones for storing in separate urns was carried out.

The mausoleum was begun by his son Kharak Singh on the spot where he was cremated, and was completed by Dalip Singh in 1848. The tomb is a splendid example of Sikh architecture, with gilded fluted domes and cupolas and an ornate balustrade round the top. The interior is well detailed, much of the marble elements, it is said, having been appropriated from Mughal monuments—the beautiful marble doorway entrance perhaps belonging to the citadel's Shah Burj. The central marble urn in the form of a lotus on the grave carries the remains of the Maharaja, while marble knobs hold the ashes of 11 women who immolated themselves. Also seen in the chamber are portraits of the Maharaja and the last Sikh ruler, the infant Dulip Singh.

At the same floor level, on the south of Ranjit Singh's Samadhi are located the samadhis of his son Kharrak Singh and his grandson Nau Nehal Singh and their wives. These structures are treated simply and although the architectural style is similar, the grand treatment of the earlier samadhi is no longer in evidence.

4909911161_51ac4fba16.jpg

img_0546_tn.jpg

IM_Lahore_Ranjit_Singh_Samadhi_interior_of_shrine.jpg

Ranjit Singh's Samadhi

Well my mother's family moved from Lahore to Indian side after partition . My maternal -grandfather was a police officer in lahore during British Raj. My father's family was in Indian side of Punjab.

Like Raja_Pakistani , i also hail from a defence background. I will not be able to give much eloborate answer on this.

@haviZsultan
You've been quoting and mentioning me like a madman now. Stop blowing up my notifications and look for amusement outside of the internet. Unfortunately since I have a life outside of the internet I cannot reply to every single point you have stated in your numerous replies cum essays. You are obsessed with not only me but also other Muhajir users, you are mentioning and quoting us non stop. We probably come in your dreams and haunt you. I'm happy were giving you nightmares.

First off, you suffer from serious inferiority complex issues and identity crisis. Maybe you're a troll and are doing this for a hard on or maybe you're just a messed up self hating dude. In either case it's not too congenial for you. You say you have the right to insult and abuse Muhajirs just because you are supposedly a Muhajir. That is where you are wrong, you can criticize my people but don't you dare try to slander us or belittle our past. Call yourself a Pathan all you want but the real Pathans themselves are laughing at you and abusing you for doing so and they are right. In the end your going to be left with no group to associate with. The case with you is that you love to abuse every single thing that you are naturally associated with. You love insulting Muhajirs and Karachi. Sahabzaadey here won't get up and move to another city but instead cry and cry about how evil Karachi and Muhajirs are. He won't move to Peshawar, Mardan, FATA or Kabul where his people are but instead sit in Karachi surrounded by evil Muhajirs and cry and curse on the internet.

Actually Jinnah would spit on this country and to the faces of people like you if he were still alive. Now if you're tiny brain had even the slightest clue you would know the label Muhajir was given to us by other groups and until the 70s, we did not refer to ourselves as Muhajirs. And you know exactly what I mean when I said Muhajirs made this country, don't play dumb with me because unlike you I don't have unlimited time to explain the origins and residences of the key players in the Pakistan movement.

You claim Muhajirs are racist because your family loves abusing other ethnic groups. Interesting conclusion, now I can claim all Muslims are terrorists, all Pathans are terrorist, all blacks are criminals due to acts committed by few people. If you think Muhajirs are the only racists then its time to step away from the internet and get a reality check. I can guarantee every ethnic group in Pakistan are racist. You claim all Muhajirs are scumbags but people like you have their heads stuck deep inside their ***. Since Muhajirs are racist, I guess so is Edhi, so are the millions of Karachiites who were the first ones to donate when the Earthquake and floods happened. I myself was in Pakistan during the floods, all my cousins and I rushed to interior Sindh to help out with the cause. I can go on about how strong charity is in Karachi but won't waste my time since I'm dealing with a dude suffering from issues.
You threatening to go through my previous posts and handpick them just shows how joyful and busy your life must be. How many operations do you want to start against Muhajirs? The ones in the 80s and 90s already took away thousands of lives (including the lives of my uncle, aunt and their children who had no affiliation with any political party), hundreds if not thousands of innocent girls were raped, numerous innocent people were tortured and forced to flee the same country their forefathers sacrificed their lives for.
And MQM ordered the killing of Faisal Raza Abidi? LMAO what drugs have you been smoking? Last time I checked Abidi sahab is alive and well.
Like a typical moron you mentioned how Jinnahpur was an attempt by Muhajirs and MQM to secede from Pakistan. Update your facts, the army themselves admitted that Jinnahpur was false and was a conspiracy to justify an operation against MQM.
At the start of your essay you told me you have the right to insult Muhajirs because you "used" to be one until you converted (LOL). But then since you've adopted another ethnicity and abandoned it what gives you the right to slander my people?

Btw LOL @ you thinking you're some expert at Pashtunism just because you've written some book and some papers on Pashtuns. Must make me an expert too since I'm writing a screenplay which takes place in FATA and have written papers on ethnic issues in Pakistan. Not to mention am currently writing a couple of screenplays highlighting ethnic conflicts in Karachi as well.
Anyways don't reply back to me if you have some shame left in you because I'm not wasting my time on you again.

How many operations do you want to start against Muhajirs? The ones in the 80s and 90s already took away thousands of lives (including the lives of my uncle, aunt and their children who had no affiliation with any political party), hundreds if not thousands of innocent girls were raped, numerous innocent people were tortured and forced to flee the same country their forefathers sacrificed their lives for.

I cannot comment on this further upon knowing your history and am forced to apologize completely.

My first post dragged you in because I was deeply frustrated by Luffy's separatist ideas and people who look down at Pashtuns (which I have seen in Karachi) are part of the issue and have given birth to this. You did not, like most MQM supporters directly insult non-muhajirs, it was my frustration at being unable to resolve the ethnic issue in Pakistan, stop people from spreading hate and I took it out on you. I was harsh on you and did not know the background you are coming from. I must have made efforts to understand it.

It is not in my power to help you. But I am the ex-leader of the Pakistan Nationalist Association and well respected in the Nationalist movement of Pakistan, we have heavy links with army but there are a number of internal issues-they did not even protect me when crisis hit in Canada. I have contact with falahi tanzeems like Sufferers Witness, Yaseer trust, Ilm O Amal, TCF, Edhi and other organizations. The sufferers witness particularly is into human rights. The ones who killed your uncle must be accountable-must be punished. I can give you a contact if you wish it but am not sure they will be able to help. In the meantime you can register a case with the courts. I can tell you despite that 4% conviction rate for terrorists they are much more independent than they were.

By the way I have lost people in India and I know how personal these things can get. I could hate India all my life and did for a long period. Being a nationalist I even got death threats but did not falter to solve Pakistan's issues for without this land we are nothing. The question is are we going to become reactionaries and be part of the issue by doing the same to others or change things? For example wouldn't it be pertinent to look at the fact that there is the very real possibility that what happened to uncles in Hyderabad and my cousin may be happening to a Hindu within Pakistan?

These events have the ability to turn us into mindless husks, ready tools for groups like MQM... look at the militants for the Taliban man... when I was getting info for my book a guy from Bannu (not sure of his tribe but was in favor of talking peace with the militants) claimed that he knew a Wazir boy who's father was killed in Mir Ali operation (operation meezan)... the boy turned into a militant... later i was so touched that the main character in my book is based on this guy. These events make it easy for these kind of people to use people for their interests.

You don't understand how serious calling the partition a mistake is! You think this is personal for you?... its like poking a pin in my eyes... Pakistan represents escape from the Indian mobs for us... you can't just call it a mistake just because terror chief says so??? Its my entire life... i spent it in service of Pakistan to set things right... to bring nationalism to the masses as a concept that transcended minor things like ethnicity or sect.

An uncle was killed. We had a huge crisis and we had to move some people from India after Gujarat... FIA was abusive, very negative attitude of the staff. I was actually initially MQM sympathizer man especially because of their sympathy for Biharis and new migrants from India. But this one thing makes the violence they commit right? These people are killing other ethnic groups, not only that but also us, I can name cases, why we guys don't see it? Why always some outsider is to blame for our problems? Its what EVERY ethnic group does but does anyone seek to challenge the societal norms and the importance given to ethnicity in our country?

No one quits his ethnic group like that... i must be frustrated to do that. Its non-stop abuse to everyone else. You probably know how these people act. Why don't you stop relatives from being racist to other ethnic groups? No one does it. We just listen to their conversations. What kind of Pakistanis are we... those who only think of our race???

I am sorry... even this reply shouldn't have been made given the situation. I will only reply to the rest of your post if you give me permission to do so. Otherwise I am just pouring salt on old wounds. I would personally like this debate to continue. But it is your choice. Just think critically about the choices we have made. If an outsider will criticize Muhajirs it will be racism... but if we do and seek to solve things I believe a lot can change.

Even my efforts to integrate as a Pashtun are very much a solid part of this. I will tell you about my background later on if you wish it and if you wish the conversation to continue. I still count darkinsky as a major troll... have seen his posts which are simply dripping with racism that would put even a separatist and Pashtunistan-sympathizer like luffy to shame.
@Armstrong I will reply soon.

Pathans in Kashmir Preserve Identity By Nafeesa Syeed

OB-QV567_ipatha_G_20111202012604.jpg

A group of elders gather in the main square in one of the Pathan enclaves of Gotli Bagh, Kashmir

OTLI BAGH, Indian Kashmir – Abdul Wadud Khan is a fiercely proud Pathan, who speaks what he deems as “pure Pashto.” But he doesn’t live in Afghanistan. Nor does he reside in Pakistan.

The 83-year-old belongs to a small minority of Pathans settled in Indian-administered Kashmir who have maintained their distinct cultural and linguistic identity a century after their ancestors emigrated from Peshawar and the Swat valley in Pakistan and parts of Afghanistan. They carry on customs such as holding jherga councils to decide disputes and observing strict rules of purdah (separation) for women. They watch TV programs broadcast from Peshawar and Kabul and set Pashto pop songs as their ringtones. But times are changing for this insular group, as more youth, especially girls, pursue their education and employment outside. With norms being eroded, some are worried about the community’s future cohesion.

Beyond speech, customs and blood, they are also tied to their brethren across borders when it comes to being affected by conflict, by the troubles raging in South Asia. In Gotli Bagh, they say they’re pained when they hear about ongoing violence impacting fellow Pathans in Pakistan or Afghanistan. They experienced their own horrors during the 1990s, when armed militancy and anti-insurgency crackdowns dominated the Kashmir valley. They prefer not to recount those times, but as they tend their apple orchards, the unresolved status of Kashmir’s political situation is evident in the large Indian army bunker on the main street running through this village. A refrain youth and elders oft repeat here is that Pathans are, in fact, a peaceful people.
OB-QU392_igotli_D_20111130075409.jpg
OB-QU399_igotli_D_20111130080815.jpg

From where they came. In the Ganderbal district, about an hour from the Kashmiri capital of Srinagar, a sign points to a roadway crawling up the foothills toward Gotli Bagh, home to the largest concentration of Pathans in Kashmir. It’s late August and fluorescent-green blades rise from terraced rice paddies and peaks covered with pine forests as well as denuded mountains soar above fruit trees. Mr. Khan, a bearded man with leathery skin, sits in front of his double-storey home wearing a karakuli, a sheepskin cap. He removes his dentures when a visitor comments on him looking younger than the octogenarian that he is. The father of 10 has spent his entire life here, but can’t speak Kashmiri. In Urdu, also not his mother tongue, he describes how his grandfather, Sharifullah, left his home near Peshawar, where “there was too much gun culture and disturbance,” at the turn of the 20th century. Sharifullah found Kashmir calm and told his relatives of the Yousufzai-Madhyakhail tribe to join him.

Locals put the current numbers of Pathans in Gotli Bagh from 8,000 to 10,000, whereas researchers say it’s probably more like 3,000 to 5,000. There are other Pashto-speaking enclaves with smaller populations in Kupawara, in north Kashmir, and in Anantnag, in south Kashmir. Historians say there have been successive migrations of Pathans to Kashmir over the past two centuries, including under an Afghan dynasty that ruled the valley in the late 18th-century and then under Sikh and Dogra Hindu regimes up until the subcontinent was partitioned in 1947. Many worked as soldiers under these regimes—considered hostile and oppressive by Kashmiris—and were then granted land in Kashmir for their service. Others moved here to escape inter-tribal conflicts or were dispersed by rulers, such as the British, who considered Pathans a threat to their territories.

Far from their homeland, descendants of the later migrants remained isolated, allowing them to preserve their heritage, said Dr. Gulshan Majeed, a history professor at the Institute of Kashmir Studies at the University of Kashmir who has studied the communities. “They did not mix with the Kashmiris in general and they created their own resources within their own societies to sustain themselves.”

They forbade intermarriage with outsiders and were adamant about speaking Pashto. Villagers have texts written in Pashto from their forefathers and still teach their children how to read and write the script. Mr. Khan and others claim that their Pashto is “unadulterated,” unlike the Pashto spoken in Peshawar or Afghanistan, which they say has mixed with other languages. They rely on newspapers published abroad and the Internet for Pashto-language resources. (Pashto, Urdu and Kashmiri are entirely disparate tongues.)

The Pathans share the same Sunni Muslim faith as the majority of Kashmiris, but have about a dozen of their own mosques around Gotli Bagh, residents say. They also have their own religious leaders. Streams of boys and men in white skullcaps follow the turbaned Mir Qutb Alam, a guide for the Naqashbandi-Mujaddidi Sufi order, as he proceeds to a local mosque where his father, the saint Mir Alam, is buried. The younger Alam said his father came from Swat, a valley in northern Pakistan, and settled in Kashmir in the 1920s after traveling across Central and South Asia for his religious education. He later became a member of the state legislative council. Besides Pathans, Mr. Alam also counts some Kashmiris and people from the Indian state of Maharashtra among his followers.

Other traditions the Pathan communities have perpetuated is not requiring dowry for weddings, which has caught on in Kashmiri society. Men also gather for the jherga where they discuss the community’s grievances and welfare. They say they resolve most disputes in the jherga even before turning to the police. Other signs echo their ancestors, including clay tandoor ovens outside homes and sports such as cockfighting.

Women have played a pivotal role in maintaining the community’s distinct cultural and linguistic heritage.
A woman’s place. Pivotal to passing down their customs and language have been the efforts of women. Under their system of purdah, a woman’s space is largely limited to her home and venturing outside requires a burqa. The voice of Gulshan Ara, 26, who married last year and is now a housewife, is muffled as she holds her fist to her mouth in the presence of a male relative. Upon his exit, she drops her hand and words come flowing out.

“Purdah is the main thing that can safeguard a woman,” Ms. Ara said. “Women don’t go outside, so due to that the culture will be preserved.”

She’s dressed in the characteristic outfit worn by Pathan women here: a printed shalwar kameez dress with a large white chadar cloth draped around her head and shoulders, used to quickly cover one’s face when in their homes or neighborhoods. She said women don’t travel alone and many only speak Pashto. When they leave their villages, they’re seen donning black robes and face-veils. (While some Kashmiri women also cover their faces, this degree of gender separation is not commonly practiced.)

The fact that Ms. Ara can communicate in Urdu—she can’t speak Kashmiri—reflects a shift in the community in the past 20 years. The push for Kashmiri female education dates back several decades, with some of the earliest women earning graduate degrees in the 1950s and legions joining the workforce in subsequent years. Yet that was not the case in the Pathan community. A survey by a university researcher in 1988 cited women’s illiteracy in the Pathan community at 89%.

Then came the 1990s. During that time, locals say some Pathan parents began encouraging their daughters to join boys at school, with those such as Ms. Ara now completing their matriculation of 10th grade and even graduating from high school. A handful of government and private schools with names like New Light Public School are scattered in the area.

Mumtaz Sarafaraz Khan, a 37-year-old mother of three, is a pioneer of sorts, having obtained her master’s degree in political science and conversing in fluent English. A slight woman, Sarafaraz Khan explains how girls’ education was prohibited in her community, but she persisted with backing from her parents, particularly her father.

“People used to say, ‘Where are they going because women have no role to play outside their homes, they have to remain inside homes and look after their children, what have they to do with education?’” she said of her naysayers.

She said there are positive trends with more Pathan girls becoming educated and working in schools, government offices and social service organizations. But progress, she said, shouldn’t come at the cost of maintaining their mores. For her part, she wears a burqa when en route to the higher secondary school where she teaches, and doesn’t leave the house unless it’s urgent or without a man. For instance, there’s a store in her lane that she’s never been to, because shopping is a man’s job, she said. At home, she speaks exclusively in Pashto with her children.

“Some girls are going to school without purdah, they are speaking other languages, some are marrying with other communities,” she said. “It is not a good development.”

Layered conflicts. Pathan elders said they were considered outsiders in Kashmir and taxed as such until they were given “state-subject status” in the mid-20th century, giving them relative parity with other Kashmiris. Today though, they complain that they aren’t afforded the same privileges as other minorities in the state, which they assert would give them more equal economic footing and facilities in their vicinities.

They said they get along well with their Kashmiri neighbors, who exhibit an interest in Pathan culture and language. But as a minority community in a troubled region there can be a delicate game of balancing loyalties. Some might express solidarity with the separatists, while others say they enjoy being part of India.

The community overall shies away from discussing politics, saying their priority is the socio-economic advancement of their people. Short of speaking about exactly how they were affected and the extent of their involvement and on which sides of the unrest they stood, several Pathans acknowledge that they have not been spared during the past two decades of tumult.

“Whatever misfortunes happened to Kashmiris, those misfortunes happened to us,” said Mr. Khan, the community elder.

Many Pathan men have gone on to serve as police officers, and some familiar with the community say Pathans have sustained good relations with the military. One can’t miss the Indian security forces camp in Gotli Bagh, clearly marked in red and blue paint with barbed wire coiled along the stone wall. As in other villages, soldiers here conduct routine patrols of the area and are seen roaming in their fatigues. In whispered conversations, there are insinuations that the community is monitored more because of their ethnicity, given the extreme elements coming out of Pashto-speaking lands across the border.

At the same time, the pan-Pathan sentiment can be felt when Gotli Bagh natives talk about the duress they see and hear about in neighboring countries, especially in Pakistan, where many here still have relatives with whom they keep in touch. There’s also an awareness that along the spectrum of conflicts impacting Pathans across South Asia, Kashmir may be a comparatively enviable spot despite its lingering uncertainties.

“We are watching TV and listening to the radio about what is happening there, we are shocked when we hear that news, how many people were killed there, how many innocents got killed there…mostly Pathans are affected,” said Mohammad Sarafaraz Khan, 39, a government worker who is Mumtaz’s husband, describing across-the-border woes. “We are safe here. We are better here. We are getting more privileges.”

Mudasir Nawaz, 20, who is studying for his bachelor’s degree in commerce, said he wants to meet his relatives in Swat, but there are problems in obtaining a visa. Much like others in this tight-knit group, Nawaz counters the perception of Pathans being warring tribesmen and denounces weaponry: “We don’t like violence; we are peace-loving people.”

As he stands amid apple trees of the Delicious variety, around the corner from the army bunker, the hazel-eyed Nawaz counts his blessings.

“I think our status is better here than Pathans living in Pakistan, (where) there’s Taliban and terrorist attacks, here we are living in peace,” he said. “We pray to God to ask that they have peace like we have.”

Nafeesa Syeed is a freelance writer based in Washington and New Delhi. You can follow her on Twitter @NafeesaSyeed.

@Sher Malang , @Hyperion, @Armstrong, @haviZsultan

^^^^ Why Patahns like you are so down right obsessed with "Pathan Identity"..
Insecurity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom