What's new

Bangladesh: A war hero and a Book

shbaziz

New Recruit

Reaction score
An Urdu Column written by Orya Maqbool Jan in Express News (March 10, 2012). I appologize if there are discrepancies in translation.

The Tragedy of East Pakistan, A hero of Bangladesh and a Book]

I don’t know if the man is alive or dead, but reward for him being arrested alive is more than what is for Osama Bin Ladin. He’s being searched everywhere. Nobody knows where he is, in a cave of some mountains? the base of a tree in a dense forest? Or an unknown flat in some metropolitan city? Nobody knows where he is. He was the hero of the independence of Bangladesh and one of the three army officers who had crossed the border near Bahawalnagar into India and were warmly welcomed by Indian High command. He was granted political asylum by Indira Ghandhi herself and Gen. Jagjit Singh Arora would call him “son”. Then how did he become the most wanted “criminal” of Bangladesh? I met him when he was a diplomat! This man who had given military training to Mukti Bahni knew about me only that I was a Pakistani, and it was sufficient for him to embrace me for quite long and then his hatred for India erupted like a volcano. He was Lt. Col. Shariful Haq Dalim! A diplomat then, but he was mourning at what was happening to Pakistan and what the prejudice of Hindus had done against Muslims and their unity. Having lost his one hand during Bangladesh Independence War, he was having a great regret, “How come I fell into the hands of Indians?” But with confidence and conviction he said to me one thing that still I remember, he said, “Bangladesh is yet another line of two nation theory!” He said that once General Jagjit Singh had said to him, “This country (Bangladesh) is very dangerous indeed. We can easily handle the Muslims of the West Pakistan, they are divided into races and languages! But these, Aye Bhagwan, thay are “Dheno Mirch”. General Arora said, “These Bangalis are neither Sunni nor Shia, nor Barelvi, nor Deobandi, they are just Muslims. They speak one language, they are one race, part of the same civilization. The day they are united and up for madness, the game ll be over.”

Years have passed since my meeting with him. Then he was a hero of Bangladesh and well within the corridors of power. Today he is hiding from the world because he was one of the people who butchered Mujibur Rehman for his genocide of pro Pakistan Bengalis. Today the thing which reminded me of him was my friend Farrukh Suhail Goindi and the book he brought with him. Farrukh Suhail has left the corridors of politics and to establish an institution to translate every sort of knowledge in Urdu. He came to me with his Lebanese wife and gave me a freshly printed translated book. While he gave me the book, he seemed immensely proud. I had seen him this much happy only once before, when he got his hair transplant and successfully hid his baldness. The book was “Untold Facts” written by none other than Lt. Col. Shariful Haq Dalim. It’s Udru translation was entitled, “Pakistan se Bangladesh, UnKahi Jiddojahd”. The spell of this book was so intense and revelations so shocking that I spent the whole night reading that book.

Perhaps Allah wanted to reveal something that this book surfaced at a time when the “intellectuals, journalists and analysts” of my country remember the tragedy of 71 with intense emotions. They are strange people and they have coined a beautiful phrase i.e., “We have learnt nothing from 71”. But they utter this phrase only when it’s suitable and according to their stance. They never recalled 71 when military operation was launched in Swat, Waziristan and when the screams of women and children at Lal Masjid were fading into thundering sounds of gunpowder. But when someone challenges the foundation and ideology of this country they immediately tell us , “You have learnt nothing from 71”, This book by Col. Dalim tell about the story of Bangladesh which is portrayed as the story of Independence. It explains the genocide conducted by Mujibur Rehman and Mukti Bahni, such that if someone had a slight hatred towards India, one was stabbed in the belly or shot in the chest. Lt. Col. Dalim who once had said in Quetta, “Remember India is eyeing upon both, the East as well as the West Pakistan. India knows that with Dhaka at one side and Islamabad on the other, she could really become a sandwich. India, the country which has never been and will never remain united.” I remembered the word of Dalim i.e., “Indian is an unnatural union, that the West is keeping alive to use against the Muslims of South Asia. But it shall perish one day”.

This Bengali hero, this blue eyed boy of Indian Military, dear to Indira Gandhi and a commander of Mukti Bahni when sees behind he sees that an Indian Hindu Bengali hates Bengali Muslims the way he hates the Muslims of Pakistan.

They say, “You learnt no lesson from 71”. Well here is a lesson learnt by the commander of Mukti Bahni, but I am sure it ll never be discussed in media as we stand for an extremely “free” media.

Original Urdu text can be found on the link below:
Daily Express News Story

It's been decades.

And they still couldn't find him :woot:

1971 has made Bangladesh the Turkey of South Asia.

I don't think we will turn into Turkey even through Kemalism is similar to Awami extremist anti-islamic ideology. Our people are not
secular like turkey and are a very tolerant society. JMB and other extremist were rotted out during BNP-Jamat period. Even many
awamiligars hate india now. Bangladesh will always strongly hold to its islamic identity no matter how much BAL tries otherwise.
So lets be optimistic and hope for the best.

It is not strictly an issue of secularism vs. Islam fight. It has more to do with sustainability on all fronts, be it political, economic, technological and social. And frankly, we haven't been doing a great job ever since the two netris came about.

But anyhow, Islam will always remain a strong and an integral part of Bangladesh's identity. History (even now) shows this.

Not saying we going to turn into a theocracy :no:

Socio Economic Relation between Pakistan and Bangladesh

by Lt. Col. Shariful Haq Dalim!

1. It is said that blood is thicker than water, which implies a stronger bond between two persons having any blood relationship. Bondage of faith and way of life is even thicker. Pakistan and Bangladesh are two brothers born from the womb of the same mother. No big deal if by misfortune they parted ways from each other, still their remains a strong sense of togetherness and commonality. When Pakistani Cricket team plays against India in Dubai the Bengali people cheer the latter team, when earthquake hit Pakistan Bangladeshi people felt the pains of the hit, when floods affect Bangladesh Pakistanis feel emotionally inundated.

Religion is the sacred cord that binds both of them together tightly. Islam is a different religion from others in the sense that who ever enters in its fold becomes a member of a community called Ummah. Geographical and political boundaries mean very little to the Ummah, in this sense Bangladeshis and Pakistanis are just two sections of Ummah punctuated by a little alien territory.

Mutual historic experience is yet another common ground between them. Pakistanis and Bangladeshis jointly waged a bloody and protracted war against a double headed dragon, one of its head represented by the Britons and the Hindus formed the other. Bengali leaders like Maulana Bhashani, Sher-e-Bangla Maulvi Fazlul Haq, Nawab Sir Saliumulah Khan, Hussain Shaheed Suharwardi, Khawaja Nazimmudin etc, were those political heavy weights whose very name sent cold shivers down the spine of mighty British rulers.

2. Economic prospects

During pre-71 era Pakistan and Bangladesh were two parts of a single economy complimentary to each other. Most of the industrial units were established in present Pakistan while Bangladesh produced raw materials. Before 1947 partition, West Bengal had industry while East Bengal produced raw material and also it was consumer market for finished goods of India particularly West Bengal. When East Bengal became part of Pakistan Western Bengal was incorporated in India and its industry came to grinding halt due to unavailability of raw material and consumer market.

This development greatly hurt and annoyed Indians who started planning to re-integrate the Eastern part. However, even today there remains striking congruity between economies of the two countries. Accordingly, total volume of Pakistan and Bangladesh trade is 13 billion dollars of which their mutual trades fluctuates between 120-150 million dollars. Bangladesh imports 12% of its total requirements from India (volume of smuggling is not included), while Bangladeshi exports to India are negligible due to latter’s high protective tariff and strict anti dumping laws. While Pakistan offers no such negative barriers to trade with Bangladesh. Pakistan needs Bangladeshi tea, fiber, jute etc while Bangladesh can profitably import light and medium engineering equipments, cotton, dry and fresh fruits, electrical appliances (fans, washing machines air coolers etc) from Pakistan. Last but not the least the economy of Bangladesh and Pakistan are complimentary where as economy of India is competitive to both Bangladesh and Pakistan.

3. Problems stymieing Socio-economic relations

Everything fits well except Indian factor in the development of Pak-Bangladesh socio-economic relations. In fact a conspiracy to weaken the two Muslim nations hatched by Indians during 60’s has not ceased to function. A war has since then continued only interrupted by lull periods. Any kind of gain either by Pakistan of Bangladesh is loss for India. Direct trade between the two could only be established at the cost of Indian economic interests. So India will fight tooth and nail to deter not only development of trade but any kind of relations between Pakistan and Bangladesh be it economic, political, strategic and diplomatic. 26 March of every year India spends huge sums of money in Bangladesh to re-enact drama which it concocted in 1971. This way India wants to poison minds of young Bengalis, who see Pakistan as their brother in faith and arms. The Chanakkays know that it has to leave Bangladesh bag and baggage on the day young Bengalis came to see its gory face in true light. For Pakistanis, they have always kept their heart, mind and arms open for their Bengali brothers and in future they will spare no effort to endear and befriend them with the same spirit and heart to fight together against the nefarious design of the ‘Big Brother’ to protect mutual interests. There should not be even an iota of doubt that the very survival of these two brotherly Muslim countries is inter-dependent. Thus, a steal like relation between Bangladesh and Pakistan in all fronts is the key to survival which should not be lost at any cost.

@kobiraaz : Who is the author of this article - a Bangladeshi or a Pakistani ?

Last edited by a moderator:
How is that ?

identity crisis.....

Kemal = Muzib = Secularization

Ottoman = pakistan = islamic identity

@kobiraaz : Who is the author of this article - a Bangladeshi or a Pakistani ?

bangladeshi.... the writer was Major in Pak Army ... #1 post is about him, fled from pakistan in 1971, fought in bengal, lost hand, later killed Mujib, became diplomate during Zia ur rahman most probably.................

Last edited by a moderator:
bangladeshi.... the writer was Major in Pak Army ... #1 post is about him, fled from pakistan in 1971, fought in bengal, lost hand, later killed Mujib, became diplomate during Zia ur rahman most probably.................

Most Pakistanis view Bangladeshis as our people & '71 as our fault ! But I say that boat has sailed...no point finding unity when our parting was beyond bitter.

It's been decades.

And they still couldn't find him :woot:

Actually

1965 = He was in PAF

1965-1971 = Pak Army

1972-1974 = BD army

1975 = Coup

1976-1995 = Diplomat in China, UK, Hongkong, kenya, Tanzania

1996 = Hasina came to power and no one knows where is he now............

Most Pakistanis view Bangladeshis as our people & '71 as our fault ! But I say that boat has sailed...no point finding unity when our parting was beyond bitter.

i just want a brotherly relation like Egypt & Pakistan or Turkey and Pakistan..

but the problem is well written above......

So India will fight tooth and nail to deter not only development of trade but any kind of relations between Pakistan and Bangladesh be it economic, political, strategic and diplomatic. 26 March of every year India spends huge sums of money in Bangladesh to re-enact drama which it concocted in 1971. This way India wants to poison minds of young Bengalis, who see Pakistan as their brother in faith and arms. The Chanakkays know that it has to leave Bangladesh bag and baggage on the day young Bengalis came to see its gory face in true light.

i just want a brotherly relation like Egypt & Pakistan or Turkey and Pakistan..

but the problem is well written above......

Pakistan-Bangladesh can be like Pakistan-Egypt because we don't really have 'brotherly' relations with Egypt but Turkey is a different ball-game. We just have too bad memories from '71.

And what is written may be true...it is true in my country but the fault is entirely ours - Why aren't we stopping it ?

Back
Top Bottom