What's new

Bangladesh Air Force

What a pathetic thread.

Oh well.

Enjoy!

Off topic - the MiG-23 got universally dumped on by critics. Apparently brilliant design but rather poor execution. The MiG-27 could not replace it fast enough. Still - a wonderful and ambitious design attempt at furthering the "state of the Russian aeronautics art".

Off topic - the MiG-23 got universally dumped on by critics. Apparently brilliant design but rather poor execution. The MiG-27 could not replace it fast enough. Still - a wonderful and ambitious design attempt at furthering the "state of the Russian aeronautics art".

The Mig-27 was just a ground attack variant of the Mig-23.

I'm a fanboy of Soviet aviation.

I've always found it really mysterious and interesting.

Of course with the end of the Cold War, Westerners had more access to the aircraft.

But back when I was a kid, I used to try to buy whatever books I could and would savor the early black and white photos of the Mig-29, Su-27, and Su-25 in the late eighties.

And still remember the first appearance of the Mig-29 in Finland in 1986.

Maybe Hasina is a fan girl of Russian military aviation also.

Chinese military aviation has that same excitement for me now.

Although things are alot different with the internet in terms of ease of access to info and photos as opposed to waiting for print in books and magazines.

Hopefully, we can talk about BAF related things soon.

Nothing seems to be happening man.

Last edited:
The Mig-27 was just a ground attack variant of the Mig-23.

I'm a fanboy of Soviet aviation.

I've always found it really mysterious and interesting.

Of course with the end of the Cold War, Westerners had more access to the aircraft.

But back when I was a kid, I used to try to buy whatever books I could and would savor the early black and white photos of the Mig-29, Su-27, and Su-25 in the late eighties.

And still remember the first appearance of the Mig-29 in Finland in 1986.

Maybe Hasina is a fan girl of Russian military aviation also.

Chinese military aviation has that same excitement for me now.

Although things are alot different with the internet in terms of ease of access to info and photos as opposed to waiting for print in books and magazines.

Hopefully, we can talk about BAF related things soon.

Nothing seems to be happening man.

Ah - great minds think alike, a Soviet aircraft fanboy here is well, with even earlier brute aircraft like the Su-7. 9, 15 and then 22. Ugly but effective and built like tanks.

One Eastern EU nation's pilots used to do pullups on the Su-7 long pitot tubes (that rod ahead of the nosecone). Try that in any part of the F-16.

iu

India will squeal no matter what you do. India does not respect friendly gestures/carrots, they respond to sticks. Knowing Bangladesh cannot be easily run over militarily would have a positive impact on bilateral relations in the long term.
Regarding West-China balance, we have no choice. The civilian and military bureaucracies must either up their games or let the country suffer.

South China sea dispute. Indonesia is at odds with China.

Rest assured, the US and China are going in a collision course. Even if there isn't much of a reason, they'll make up one. Did you listen to Biden's Eid message? He did acknowledge that Muslims are being oppressed around the globe and the Muslims in America form an important part of the U.S. At the same time, he specifically mentioned Rohingya and Uighur. Do we see where this is going?

There is no guarantee that another Rohingya style influx back in 2012 won't occur again in the future, be it from Myanmar or India. Bangladesh never even wanted to be part of any security pact nor should it ever be. It wanted to be part of an economic pact which focuses on enhancing multilateral trade and being a crown jewel of economic progress in the region (may be a tall order). Even this simple vision is under threat. How will Bangladesh being highly populated realize that vision with an influx of unwanted/undesired peoples just because they were born different/deficient? Neither of the larger neighboring countries can guarantee us that security. That is the general consensus here in Bangladesh.

It is all about strategic alignment and national interests above all else. The repatriation discussions with Myanmar and mediated by China are going nowhere. China is going to back the junta over Bangladesh no matter what; the reasons for which are best discussed in another tread. This puts us at odds with them unless they can give us a better deal that guarantees our security.

The issue of India is that the West in general viewed South Asia through the lens New Delhi, and this created problems in the region including us. Their failure in Afghanistan however changed that, but we still need to come around that risk. Rising religious tensions in that country are complicating matters further.

That being said, the MRCA program of BAF had been delayed three times back to back for reasons. 2030 is still a long way though.

It is all about strategic alignment and national interests above all else. The repatriation discussions with Myanmar and mediated by China are going nowhere. China is going to back the junta over Bangladesh no matter what; the reasons for which are best discussed in another tread. This puts us at odds with them unless they can give us a better deal that guarantees our security.

Do you not think that a country with a population of 165 million with a 400 billion US dollars GDP, expected to grow at an average annual rate of growth of 7-8% a year till 2035 needs anyone to "guarantee" its security?

Even much larger India can be sufficiently humbled by BD being serious and building up its conventional force in line with its economic power. 8 Mig-29s for BD is pathetic as it could should have 100 4/4+ gen fighters in its inventory now.

Do you not think that a country with a population of 165 million with a 400 billion US dollars GDP, expected to grow at an average annual rate of growth of 7-8% a year till 2035 needs anyone to "guarantee" its security?

Even much larger India can be sufficiently humbled by BD being serious and building up its conventional force in line with its economic power. 8 Mig-29s for BD is pathetic as it could should have 100 4/4+ gen fighters in its inventory now.

If you want to be the crown jewel of economic growth, you better be prepared to defend it. That was my point. And having somewhat hostile neighbors that are larger than us doesn't exactly exude that confidence either.

And like I said, procurement of MRCA's had been delayed intentionally for reasons.

Elections.

Hmmm.

I have no idea what the real reason/reasons are but the fact that we have not had even a contract signed now makes me think that the government has little intention to build BD up into a serious military power over the next 5-10 years.

We kind of know what would make the most sense now(UK version Typhoon Mk 2) in terms of geopolitics and capability but there is little sign of anything happening to make the signing of the contract anytime soon.

Elections.
I think the Brits want to secure either the Frigate deal (Type 31) or MRCA (EFT) and they said : ''we'll monitor upcoming elections''. Imo getting type 31 would be a mistake, would prefer we got Brit fighter and Italo-French frigate rather than the other way round.

BAL will win the next election. They can use these purchases to make sure the western gov look the other way and give them legitimacy.

Last edited:
If you want to be the crown jewel of economic growth, you better be prepared to defend it. That was my point. And having somewhat hostile neighbors that are larger than us doesn't exactly exude that confidence either.

And like I said, procurement of MRCA's had been delayed intentionally for reasons.
Please elaborate on the intentions and reasons for the delay. Would be interested in your perspective of how we should now proceed.

I fundamentally believe a strong BAF would have prevented the rohingya debacle. The delay in bolstering BAF have cost us dearly.

Bangladesh Air Force Chief Departs For Turkey​

Chief of Air Staff of Bangladesh Air Force Air Chief Marshal Shaikh Abdul Hannan. Photo: ISPR
Chief of Air Staff of Bangladesh Air Force Air Chief Marshal Shaikh Abdul Hannan. Photo: ISPR

Chief of Air Staff of Bangladesh Air Force Air Chief Marshal Shaikh Abdul Hannan, BBP, BUP, nswc, fawc, psc left Dhaka for Turkey on Saturday (14 May) at the invitation of Commander of the Turkish Air Force General Hasan Küçükakyüz.
He is being accompanied by his spouse and two entourages for the trip, reads an Inter-Service Public Relation (ISPR) Directorate press release.
The five-day official visit is intended to strengthen the existing cordial relationship with Bangladesh and Turkey by expanding the scope of mutual cooperation in the professional sectors.

During the trip, the Chief of Air Staff of Bangladesh Air Force will call on Commander of Turkish Air Force General Hasan Küçükakyüz to exchange views on bilateral issues of mutual interests which will be beneficial for implementing future plans of BAF.
The airforce chief will visit different government and private military equipment production facilities including Turkish Aerospace Industries.

He will also visit the mausoleum (Anitkabir) of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the Founding Father of Turkey, and pay homage by laying a floral wreath.
The Chief of Air Staff is scheduled to return home on 20 May.

Back
Top Bottom