What's new

Bangladesh Army's Yatagan Main Battle Tank

I have already mentioned my source. You can check out the BMF website for yourself of you like it.

The BD Army Chief expressed interest to upgrade with the 300x T-59 MBTs of BA with Pakistani components and assistance. The Pakistanis responded positively and they are now already tresnferring technology.

You keep referring to a 4-month old ISPR report. Things change in case you do not know it.

In initial rounds of discussions it is just about whether they will approve or allow any deal. Later more extensive rounds of discussions take place to cover each and every aspect in a more detailed and extensive manner. Most probably these have already taken place and are continuing.

Besides, it is preferable if we do not get the Al-Zarrar at all as it is an inferior tank compared to our local T-69 Mk.II G.

So according to you, if a government that is leaning a bit closer to India comes to power in BD, there will be a complete switch in defense plans? NO WAY!! It does not work like that.

Sir with all the due respect and not questioning your finding, I am also little spectacle about the Al-Zarrar project. It obvious that Pakistan will not transfer technology in BD where anti-Pakistan government in place despite good relation between pak-bangla military. Pak PM were eager to visit BD last year but now it's seem like halted for good. If your claim is true than I will be happy but I think this project will be shelved and will not see the end result.

Than again you may know something that I don't. I am still optimistic about the Al-Zarrar project...:cheers:

Why would participation in UN missions turn the Bangladeshi and Pakistani military, paramilitary, militia and police into mercenaries? You tell us why.

Let me tell you why UN missions are so advantageous for us:

1. The UN missions provide our troops with valuable combat experience. No matter much troops are trained, unless they are exposed to real-life combat, they may not be that effective. In Bangladesh, the troops are very well trained, they also have substantial combat experienced in fighting the insurgency in the CHT and overseas in UN missions.

2. Earnings from UN missions an important source of funds for the military.

3. By participating in UN missions more armaments and munitions are made available by mainly Western manufacturers on grounds that they will be used mainly in UNPKOs and for defensive purposes. UN has agreed to finance funds for a large number of BTR-80 APCs on order from the Russian manufacturer. BA will pay 60% while UN will pay 40% of the total costs.

4. By deploying troops to the Middle-East during the Persian Gulf War in defense of our Muslim allies Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, we have done them a favor, one which they are already returning and will continue to do so. It is a mutual agreement. Kuwait gifted 150 armored vehicles to Bangladesh for her support. Pakistan received 300 armored vehicles as her share.

5. Saudi Arabia offered military, financial, diplomatic and political support during the near war situation with Myanmar in 1991 and even more recently in 2008. BAF and RSAF officers met and had related discussions. Some of RSAF aircraft are flown by Bangladeshi crews on deputation.

6. Bangladesh and Pakistan military have become famous worldwide for their successful participation in numerous UNPKOs.

7. It is for a right cause. Many deployments were for protecting human rights and for protecting civilians from genocide. They have carried out vital reconstruction and rebuilding projects such as communication and have set up hospitals to provide acute medical care without which many innocent people would suffer and possible die.

8. They have gained popularity of the local people. When they hear of Bangladeshis they immediately refer to them as friends. BD troops have no allegations for humans rights violation at all, there is a zero record for HIV infection among troops deployed to areas with some of the highest HIV infection cases.

Your question on why would UN service be equated as mercenary ness warrants a very big response but due to the brevity of time I would be brief and conscious... Although UN service has been a Jack Pot for BD Military in many extents, the very first cause of being in MIL has been compromised by our MIL just to have it. Hence all the shiny hardware, Cameo and fames don't bear any fruits for our beloved nation. Any MIL's first responsibility is to protect its motherland from external and internal enemies, but read MUA's book to find out why he and his cronies has snatched power from CTG on 1/11 and caused the destruction of righteous force? It was nothing but UN carrot that was used as a bait by INDO-ZIO-NAZY gang to hijack the entire MIL just to use them against our patriotic people? So, was UN service worth as a trade off of nationalistic/patriotic forces? The magnitude of the betrayal of MUA gang only could be compared to WAR PARTY'S gross violation of human rights in Iraq and Afghanistan. So, what INDO-ZIO-NAZY gang accomplished in those two countries by unislamic forces was actually being done in BD by its own forces. Was such demeaning, degradation of a nation state justifiable for having UN service? BTW, if you didn't know that UN infect never existed and it was according to no one but Ex-U.S delegate John Bolton then please find out if it did anything in Muslim’s favor for the last 61 years. So, who were you kidding by claiming UN’s humanitarian mission? I wouldn't compromise my dignity and sell our mother land for extreme mediocrity like this, would you?

Tell me what is the owner of BMF's file and rank in BD Mil? Whereas no one in the world wants to send troops in DR Congo, only the so-called invincible BD MIL does. Furthermore, when the destruction of a state's economy (Only GDP, FDI and Manpower wise BD lost $20 Billions in last 2 years) is no concern to its army as oppose to its $200.00 Million then is it a patriotic force? This is the army that has arrested and tortured most of the BNP's righteous people by eating Dalal's propaganda? Does torturing nurturer constitute loyalty or traitorousness? In its active nose puking on BNP/JI's power base has been destroyed that force. Without investing anything in it, IND has used it like worse then toilet paper but where has been its consciousness all these times? Words written in Bangla don’t warrant more sympathy towards it than hatred for its sell out of money.

Same old:blah::blah::blah:

You haven't changed:tsk:
Where is the link to your claim that we lost 20billion GDP.And how does sending troops to UN missions have hand on this?

just because BNP did not win the election the army became traitors?Don't be a loser and get a life.That's the main reason for your frustration.Had BNP won the election,you would be praising the Army.I know your kind of people very well.

EDIT:

BTW Mr.M-Saint,you are doing an excellent job at derailing the thread.

BD Army has 610 MBTs and a small number of T-62 LBTs. I am sure of this.

There are 300 T-59s which will be upgraded to Al-Zarrar. We have so many as they were ordered from the late 70s to 1990. 30x T-54/55 were donated by Egypt and 50x T-54/55 were captured from Iraq, these were upgraded to T-59 standard, so these along with the T-59s directly ordered from China now creates a fleet of 300 T-59 MBTs, all 300 of which will be upgraded to Al-Zarrar.

BD Army with 310 T-69 Mk.II G is the largest operator of the T-69 MBT series. Also BD Army received an unknown number of T-79 MBTs, I do not know whether these T-79s are included in the 310x figure of the T-69s.

In 2006 the government okayed funds for purchasing the first batch of new MBTs (28x tanks) as well as funds for upgrading existing MBT fleet. It is not known whether or which MBT has been ordered. Some T-96s were rumored to have been seen but it was not true, they were actually T-69 Mk.II G mistaken for T-96s.

Of the T-62 LBT fleet only a small number remain in service, the rest have been locally upgraded to the T-62 SPG.

I have said 200~300 T-84 Yatagan as it is the most likely candidate and there is need for that amount of tanks.

When new tanks come in old tanks retire. The Bangladesh Army currently has only six armoured regiments - each with about 50 tanks each. So a reasonable expectation is that they have 300 tanks + reserve. Even if an additioanl 300 tanks come, there is no point unless more armoured regiments are raised and trained. now these regiments dont spring up like plants. they have to undergo training etc. So it will take time for the BD army to field anything more han 300 tanks in a 'conflict'. raising new regiments would mean increasing manpower.

There are currently 600 MBTs in the hand of the Army.

The 300x T-69s have either been already upgraded or the upgrade process is almost finished to upgrade them to T-69 Mk.II G.

There are 300x T-59s all of which will be upgraded to Al-Zarrar. Some of these T-59s were in storage sheds as they were aging platforms.

All 600x MBTs plus additional numbers of T-84 Yatagan will all be in active service with the Bangladesh Army. More tank regiments are already being raised with the training of new tank crews and maintenance personnel.

Would you be able to tell me when the new T-84 Yatagan MBT will arrive in Bangladesh or they have already started the delivery? What stage is this deal in right now?

Why Khalid deleted all his posting. they were real informative. Any security breach from Bangladesh Military?

Why Khalid deleted all his posting. they were real informative. Any security breach from Bangladesh Military?

Khaled may have been disgusted with all the oppositions to his information. But, he is quite an encylopedia of Bangladesh military logistics. I request him to send many posts.

I am quite perplexed at some members' insistence on showing proof of agreement between BD and Pakistan with regard to the upgrading of T-59 to Al Zarrar. These things are always kept secret from the newspaper gossipists. However, activities in the ordnance factories may prove the existence of such a deal.

Been five years since this rumor got around, and two years since this thread was posted.

Recently, the army bought MBT-2000s which was competing against the T-90S.

What is the status of the Yatagan? I heard its engine don't perform effectively in hot climate.

According to Wikipedia, it says:
In 2007 the Bangladesh Army began negotiations for the procurement of 76 T-84 Yatagan tanks in the first batch. The Bangladesh Army intends to induct a substantial number of Yatagans (200 to 300) over the next several years as part of its third generation main battle tank procurement program

Source: T-84 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But then, we can't really say if that's a reliable source. We certainly do need to replace the aging Cold-war era tanks at some point in the future.

Personally, I love the Leopard 2 :P Comes in great packages and options. And of-course a much more proven tank - Deutschland's finest ;)

This is what you call a real beast:
Leo2Evo_with_ADS_03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Been five years since this rumor got around, and two years since this thread was posted.

Recently, the army bought MBT-2000s which was competing against the T-90S.

What is the status of the Yatagan? I heard its engine don't perform effectively in hot climate.

According to Wikipedia, it says:

Source: T-84 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But then, we can't really say if that's a reliable source. We certainly do need to replace the aging Cold-war era tanks at some point in the future.

Personally, I love the Leopard 2 :P Comes in great packages and options. And of-course a much more proven tank - Deutschland's finest ;)

This is what you call a real beast:
Leo2Evo_with_ADS_03.jpg

wait for Altay MBT! :eek: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom