What's new

Bangladesh begins construction of two large warships

I think China might not be willing to give the longer range C8XX missiles to Bangladesh........or does Bangladesh have any in service?

PN was able to get C802/3 installed on Azmat FAC as Pakistan already possesses a large stockpile of long range C8XX missiles from China.

I think China might not be willing to give the longer range C8XX missiles to Bangladesh........or does Bangladesh have any in service?

PN was able to get C802/3 installed on Azmat FAC as Pakistan already possesses a large stockpile of long range C8XX missiles from China.
BD not only operate c-8xx but assemble and maintain them. In which world do you live in?

BD not only operate c-8xx but assemble and maintain them. In which world do you live in?

Yeah C-8xx series is not a govt. funded missile program in China, though the govt. institutes (R&D organizations) standardized the design. Most improvements come from the Chinese private sector but of course Chinese govt. maintains restrictions on exports. Given that these are reverse engineered versions of fairly reliable older missile platforms, there is really no need for restricting exports to a country like Bangladesh, a Chinese arms customer of some thirty years.

C-802 was original turbojet powered version, C-802AK (air-launched version) has maximum range (225–250 km), C-803 added a terminal stage rocket motor to achieve supersonic velocity. C-805 is a land-attack variant.

Variants of the missile is standard fitment on frigates BNS Osman, BNS Abu Bakar and BNS Ali Haider and has also been installed on some shore based launch platforms (SHORAD?). Also fitted in the new (yet to be inducted) Shadhinota Class corvette's (C-803).

There are future plans to fit them into maritime strike aircraft as well.

they hv alrdy offered us their cx-1 nd c-602 for our coastal defence battery ...:azn::azn:

A very interesting example (one actually armed to the teeth and a credible deterrent) Fast Attack Craft - Missile (FAC-M) is the Tarantul I/II/III class with about 500~600 ton displacement. This was the follow on to the OSA I/II class missile boats that Bangladesh recently retired or will soon retire (quite a bit smaller at about 200 tons). However the Tarantul class was followed on by the 900 ton BUYAN-M class, which is even more potent than the heavily armed Tarantuls. Images follow. Let's discuss. :-)

OSA class
1024px-Raketenschnellboot_-_Projekt_205_%28OSA_1_Klasse%29.jpg

Tarantul class - the first image below is of the Vietnamese Navy boats built there
HQTarantul4-1.jpg

This is a later modified Tarantul variant - called the Project 12418 'Molniya' class (INS Prabal)
attachment.php

India also operates a local variant called the 'Veer' class, later variants are lengthened (Tarantul l vs. II), presumably for better high speed ride and sea-keeping reasons, among other things. Note also that the later fitment of radar and sensors are similar to Molniya above.
INS_Nirbhik.jpg

Veer.jpg

Image credits: Bharat Rakshak

The latest complete revamp and revision of the Tarantul coastal defense class is the BUYAN-M class, much sleeker but still well-armed. It has a VLS magazine for 8 Kalibr (SS-N-27) anti-ship missiles (or ONYX missiles) aft of the wheelhouse. Twin AK-630's and 4-pack GIBKA (IGLA missile) MANPAD mounts both fore and aft round out the package.
m02015040300024.jpg

21631-image04.jpg

Here's a project 21631 M (BUYAN-M) launching its Kalibr ((SS-N-27) anti-ship missile....
BmGBPN_IUAAyiUg.jpg:large

Last edited:
A very interesting example (one actually armed to the teeth and a credible deterrent) Fast Attack Craft - Missile (FAC-M) is the Tarantul I/II/III class with about 500~600 ton displacement. This was the follow on to the OSA I/II class missile boats that Bangladesh recently retired or will soon retire (quite a bit smaller at about 200 tons). However the Tarantul class was followed on by the 900 ton BUYAN-M class, which is even more potent than the heavily armed Tarantuls. Images follow. Let's discuss. :-)

OSA class
1024px-Raketenschnellboot_-_Projekt_205_%28OSA_1_Klasse%29.jpg

Tarantul class - the first image below is of the Vietnamese Navy boats built there
HQTarantul4-1.jpg

This is a later modified Tarantul variant - called the Project 12418 'Molniya' class (INS Prabal)
attachment.php

India also operates a local variant called the 'Veer' class, later variants are lengthened (Tarantul l vs. II), presumably for better high speed ride and sea-keeping reasons, among other things. Note also that the later fitment of radar and sensors are similar to Molniya above.
INS_Nirbhik.jpg

Veer.jpg

Image credits: Bharat Rakshak

The latest complete revamp and revision of the Tarantul coastal defense class is the BUYAN-M class, much sleeker but still well-armed. It has a VLS magazine for 8 Kalibr (SS-N-27) anti-ship missiles (or ONYX missiles) aft of the wheelhouse. Twin AK-630's and 4-pack GIBKA (IGLA missile) MANPAD mounts both fore and aft round out the package.
m02015040300024.jpg

21631-image04.jpg

Here's a project 21631 M (BUYAN-M) launching its Kalibr ((SS-N-27) anti-ship missile....
BmGBPN_IUAAyiUg.jpg:large
Very Informative Bilal bhai. :tup:
BN's OSA I/II class missile boats are still in service,they will serve at least another decade.As plan to replace them with new platform has been discarded,and the boats has undergone midlife upgrade.

BN will need a FAC platform both in 200 and 600 ton class.I think Type 22 hubei class will be a perfect replacement.And for 600 ton class,modified Durjoy class vessel will be good.
And for 900 ton class BN already purchased Type 56B.Though there is no VLS on board.I would love to see the type 56 corvettes design being modified to carry VLS. :agree:

Keep in mind doing this means less money on purchase and induction(raising infrastructure and training etc.) on each platform. :cheers:

Last edited:
Very Informative Bilal bhai. :tup:
BN's OSA I/II class missile boats are still in service,they will serve at least another decade.As plan to replace them with new platform has been discarded,and the boats has undergone midlife upgrade.

BN will need a FAC platform both in 200 and 600 ton class.I think Type 22 hubei class will be a perfect replacement.And for 600 ton class,modified Durjoy class vessel will be good.
And for 900 ton class BN already purchased Type 56B.Though there is no VLS on board.I would love to see the type 56 corvettes design being modified to carry VLS. :agree:

Keep in mind doing this means less money on purchase and induction(raising infrastructure and training etc.) on each platform. :cheers:

I agree about the multi-role part. Although the mission of a FAC-M may already be set - it pays to look at what the latest platforms in the same weight class and role are and where they are going as far as latest missile countermeasures and sensor fitment.

I feel that the Durjoy class needs some serious sensor upgrade considerations in addition to inclusion of CIWS (AK630/306) as we have discussed earlier in this thread.

VLS is being included in smaller and smaller vessels as you see on the BUYAN-M. This one only displaces 900 tons and has almost the same midships design as the 056 class. We have to look at inclusion of VLS in the 056 class when we build them locally.

Back
Top Bottom