What's new

Bangladesh-Myanmar sea limits verdict Wed

If there was no Taiwanese consulate, then there'd be no Acer, no HTC, and no ASUS in Bangladesh.

If there was no Taiwanese consulate, then there'd be no Acer, no HTC, and no ASUS in Bangladesh.

I think having good relations with china is more important than acer, htc and asus. My first computer had an asus cd rom that was a good 12 years ago. Did the Taiwanese get established that far back?

That is the depth of your foreign relation understanding. No wonder Awami regime can lie so easily in Bangladesh.

China doesn't trust AL, and I guess they have lost faith in BNP when they opened the Taiwanese consulate (contrary to official recognition of "One China"). Heck, China is so sensitive about these issues that they blacklisted our university when the frail old Dalai Lama visited for a single day.

So I don't think China cares about developing a strategic relationship with us.

I think Bangladesh should not be interested in a strategic relationship with China either, as it should not be with India. Large states should not be trusted to be strategic partners. But I was only talking about economic and trade relationship so Indian monopoly in Bangladesh market can be broken with Chinese as well as ASEAN country products, using cheap land routes by road or rail.

But not supporting the one-China policy is stupid, only in Bangladesh where money into pockets of clue-less politicians can make the night into a day. China and Taiwan will eventually become one country in my projection, its just a matter of time.

It was closed within a few days of opening. How come we still have Acer, HTC and ASUS? :blink:

I think having good relations with china is more important than acer, htc and asus. My first computer had an asus cd rom that was a good 12 years ago. Did the Taiwanese get established that far back?

Both ASUS and Acer have certified service centers here in Dhaka. It does help provide jobs to Bangladeshis doesn't it? Would you rather prefer to lick China's boots or do what is beneficial for the population? You already know that jobs in Bangladesh aren't that plentiful.

I do not know about China's importance. Other than making some investments here, I don't see them as much of political value in Bangladesh's current context.

And as far as military goes, buying a whole bunch of F-7s over the years do not say much. Pakistan for instance have provided China with plenty of input due to Pakistan's experience with Western systems. The Tomahawk and the F-16 are some examples.

I mean look at it this way: Given that we are stuck with the two netris, how can they deliver anything? Can they actually work out anything with other countries in respect to national interests? The thing is, they don't have any particular strategy for the country on pretty much all fronts.

The reason why Bangladesh has developed (at least in numbers) is due to the private sector, RMG exports (along with other products), NGOs, and of-course foreign aid. Those activities just required government support (which is not a difficult thing).

Now back to the government and national interests, what are we seeing from them? The point is none of them have a strategy. It's all about $$$ for their leaders. There's no solid course for the country as far as foreign relations go.

If China does see Bangladesh positively, it should respect that decision. And frankly, I do not buy this claim that our relation with China are being damaged just because of the Taiwan issue. This merely hearsay. Many countries that already have relations with Taiwan have good relations with China. Compromises always have to be made.

Ever since the two came into the political picture (post Ershad), politics in Bangladesh has been taking a nose dive. I find it a miracle that the country is somehow still running.

It seems now someone is trying really hard to bring the country into India's clout.

It was closed within a few days of opening. How come we still have Acer, HTC and ASUS? :blink:

Who told you that? There's an ASUS service center in Panthabath.
ASUS
ASUS

Hell, they are even promoting their products through the various WiMAX ISPs like Qubee. Nothing to do with politics. It's called business.

Who told you that? There's an ASUS service center in Panthabath.
ASUS
ASUS

Hell, they are even promoting their products through the various WiMAX ISPs like Qubee. Nothing to do with politics. It's called business.

I don't want to sound rude, but there's a difference between a consulate and a business center. We were originally talking about the opening of a Taiwanese consulate^^, closed down after China got seriously pissed.

Opening of business centers by Taiwanese businesses does not imply you recognize Taiwan as an entity separate from China. But opening a consulate has serious political implications.

I don't want to sound rude, but there's a difference between a consulate and a business center. We were originally talking about the opening of a Taiwanese consulate^^, closed down after China got seriously pissed.

Opening of business centers by Taiwanese businesses does not imply you recognize Taiwan as an entity separate from China. But opening a consulate has serious political implications.

They did have a representative office in Dhaka. But yes, it was closed :confused:
中華民國外交部 Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of China (Taiwan)

Bloody Migs on prawl again, isn't there any noise regulation? :angry:

If I were to open up a travel agency. I'd say:

"Visit Bangladesh: The land of endless possibilities"

:rofl:

Bangladesh's future...no one knows. Almost everyone close to be in dhaka has a house outside bangladesh in case the country goes haywire. The nouveau riche are doing it up in malaysia and singapore.

Bangladesh's future...no one knows. Almost everyone close to be in dhaka has a house outside bangladesh in case the country goes haywire. The nouveau riche are doing it up in malaysia and singapore.

Tarek has a "second home" visa to Malaysia. Joy has full home citizenship of milk&honey land. THeir mothers could care less about BD's future!

Back
Top Bottom