What's new

Bangladesh Navy desperately trying to acquire 3 frigates

With indigenous ship building at full swing in BD i hope they can come up one of their own in next few years to a decade.

Another fantasy thread! We been hearing doing this and that since Awami regime came to power but offcourse nothing to show for. And those who are jumping on these Awami hoax one should question the reason.

But on the subject, it clear any purchase of new ship will require considerable time to build; be that type 054 from China or Korean one or Turkish one (which I doubt to be the case). Thus its contradict the insinuation of “desperate need”. BN may have desperate needs but Awami regime is in no such desperation. Besides, unless there is approval from its master nothing will happen.

Realistically, quick and easy solution would be getting couple of UK royal navy type 23 class and retrofit with better weapon systems. Given UK in dire financial needs BN can bargain for these. Since BN already has experience with RN ships, integration and operation will be easy. Without question, these are still very capable ships and will be for BN for some years. Last time RN sold 2 of those to Chile for around $230 million and now it should be even less perhaps somewhere around 200 mil or less.

While BN look into long term plan type 23 is excellent platform to meet BN needs. BN knows these facts but it is doubtful Awami regime will do anything on such option.

At home there was a BN project to build missile boats locally and incorporate Chinese weapon (most likely C802) systems. Since Awami regime came to power that project is very much killed. You go figure where Awami regime will take Bangladesh navy?

Last edited:
Another fantasy thread! We been hearing doing this and that since Awami regime came to power but offcourse nothing to show for. And those who are jumping on these Awami hoax one should question the reason.

But on the subject, it clear any purchase of new ship will require considerable time to build; be that type 054 from China or Korean one or Turkish one (which I doubt to be the case). Thus its contradict the insinuation of “desperate need”. BN may have desperate needs but Awami regime is in no such desperation. Besides, unless there is approval from its master nothing will happen.

Realistically, quick and easy solution would be getting couple of UK royal navy type 23 class and retrofit with better weapon systems. Given UK in dire financial needs BN can bargain for these. Since BN already has experience with RN ships, integration and operation will be easy. Without question, these are still very capable ships and will be for BN for some years. Last time RN sold 2 of those to Chile for around $230 million and now it should be even less perhaps somewhere around 200 mil or less.

While BN look into long term plan type 23 is excellent platform to meet BN needs. BN knows these facts but it is doubtful Awami regime will do anything on such option.

First of all,keep politics away from every single thread.This is not a political forum.If you think everything's fantasy,then refrain from posting.Moderators will deal with the thread.

With 200+ million,why should we go for British retired frigates???

The chinese and korean newly built frigate cost that much. Why should we go for 20+ years old frigates if we can afford to pay 230 million in the first place...I find no sense in your post.

On a different note,whatever you are suggesting,was actually mentioned by your political enemies long time ago.Here:

In addition, the government has planned to purchase one or two old frigates for navy from other countries under government to government deal, he said, adding that process of purchasing of offshore patrol vessel from UK navy and a large patrol craft are progressing.
:The Daily Star: Internet Edition

So what was the point of dragging politics again, when you are singing the same song as your political rival??

What exactly makes you think it as a perfect match for BN?Any special specifications you want to discuss?

As for better weapon system,what exactly are you suggesting?Care to elaborate?

At home there was a BN project to build missile boats locally and incorporate Chinese weapon (most likely C802) systems. Since Awami regime came to power that project is very much killed. You go figure where Awami regime will take Bangladesh navy?

Any link to that "missile boats with c-802" project??

Because I only know of one source which claimed this project was on...that is bdmilitary website. But Then again you are the one who doesn't believe in their news.

So care to post a neutral link of the news?

As far as joint China-BD cooperation is concerned, this is happening:

Khulna Class Offshore Patrol Vessel

The Bangladesh Navy is constructing Khulna Class (unofficial reference name only) large patrol craft at the Khulna Shipyard with the technical cooperation of two Chinese companies, namely Hudong Shipyard and CSOC. It is Bangladesh’s largest and most ambitious naval warship project to date.

"building of five patrol craft at Khulna "

First of all,keep politics away from every single thread.This is not a political forum.If you think everything's fantasy,then refrain from posting.Moderators will deal with the thread.

You and bdmil gang jump on awami political leaders fantasy statement including its chief and asking others not to point that out? Awami style hypocrisy, no surprise there.

Besides, defense is closely related to how geo politics are played. And in current geo political quagmire Awami regime has taken Bangladesh into, Bangladesh defense forces have very little chance. People have to realize why those “desperate” needs are not met and reason behind it. If this realization is above your understanding don’t participate in the discussion. But DO NOT dictate what one can say, that’s not your place or authority.

With 200+ million,why should we go for British retired frigates???

The chinese and korean newly built frigate cost that much. Why should we go for 20+ years old frigates if we can afford to pay 230 million in the first place...I find no sense in your post.

On a different note,whatever you are suggesting,was actually mentioned by your political enemies long time ago.Here:

So what was the point of dragging politics again, when you are singing the same song as your political rival??

What exactly makes you think it as a perfect match for BN?Any special specifications you want to discuss?

As for better weapon system,what exactly are you suggesting?Care to elaborate?

Any link to that "missile boats with c-802" project??

Because I only know of one source which claimed this project was on...that is bdmilitary website. But Then again you are the one who doesn't believe in their news.

So care to post a neutral link of the news?

As far as joint China-BD cooperation is concerned, this is happening:

Khulna Class Offshore Patrol Vessel

The Bangladesh Navy is constructing Khulna Class (unofficial reference name only) large patrol craft at the Khulna Shipyard with the technical cooperation of two Chinese companies, namely Hudong Shipyard and CSOC. It is Bangladesh’s largest and most ambitious naval warship project to date.

"building of five patrol craft at Khulna "

About type 23
----------------------------
First point type 23 are not retired. About a dozen of these ships are in service with RN as we speak. Get your fact straight.

Second point I have clearly mentioned timing constraint for getting any new ship from any country. It will take more than 5-7 years to get any.

Third point I made was retrofitting the ship with better system. Once retrofitted, it will be no less capable than anything be available to BN in foreseeable future. Besides, if retrofitted these ships can serve BN for another 20 years.

Fourth point depending on which ships one can get with retrofitting hull age alone is not an issue. We have seen other more powerful and resourceful navy with few times more budgets than BN contended for getting type 23. Including PN was interested in type 23.

Fifth point at present two Chinese or Korean ships will cost much more than 200 million. Besides, no one argued Chinese or Korean option can not be considered for long term.

Sixth point BN just got two retired RN ships and will retrofit these to make more capable than role these ships played in RN. Looks like BN does not buy into your “20 years old” arguments.

About BN missile boat project:
------------------------------------------
I have known about the project from more than one high ranking officers of BN. Normally BN or Bangladesh defense force doesnt flash about their projects like you like to fantasies.

About OPV:
----------------------------------
BN has lots of OPV and building more (may be needed) no way can fulfill the role of missile boat.

End of discussion

Last edited:
You and bdmil gang jump on awami political leaders fantasy statement including its chief and asking others not to point that out? Awami style hypocrisy, no surprise there.

Besides, defense is closely related to how geo politics are played. And in current geo political quagmire Awami regime has taken Bangladesh into, Bangladesh defense forces have very little chance. People have to realize why those “desperate” needs are not met and reason behind it. If this realization is above your understanding don’t participate in the discussion. But DO NOT dictate what one can say, that’s not your place or authority.

As I said,Mods will take care of that not me.And check again,this is a Defence forum.

About type 23
----------------------------
First point type 23 are not retired. About a dozen of these ships are in service with RN as we speak. Get your fact straight.

They aren't obviously going to sell their active ones are they?
If they sell,they will sell the retired or near retirement ones.I don't think that is hard to understand.

Second point I have clearly mentioned timing constraint for getting any new ship from any country. It will take more than 5-7 years to get any.

What guarantees that UK will accept and sell us the ships?Selling OPVs for anti-piracy and selling frigates to fight war have different implications.

Third point I made was retrofitting the ship with better system. Once retrofitted, it will be no less capable than anything be available to BN in foreseeable future. Besides, if retrofitted these ships can serve BN for another 20 years.

That's what I want to know.....what do you want to retrofit?

What do you want to integrate?This is still a defence forum right?So talk in terms of systems, so we can all learn and discuss.

Fifth point at present two Chinese or Korean ships will cost much more than 200 million. Besides, no one argued Chinese or Korean option can not be considered for long term.

F-22 costs 200 million.

Sixth point BN just got two retired RN ships and will retrofit these to make more capable than role these ships played in RN. Looks like BN does not buy into your “20 years old” arguments.

What those two ships are do you even know?

One is a Roebuck Class hydrographic survey vessel and the other is Castle Class Off-shore Patrol vessel.OPVs costing 2-3 million.

Whereas here we are talking about Frigates and 200 million.I think you have enough idea to distinguish between the two.

About BN missile boat project:
I have known about the project from more than one high ranking officers of BN. Normally BN or Bangladesh defense force doesnt flash about their projects like you like to fantasies.

That you call your neutral source???I guess You and Bdmilitary admin went to the same high ranking officials.You two related somehow??

Well then "I also heard from more than two BN admirals that BN is buying an Aircraft carrier"!!

That sure do sound believable. :rolleyes:

Just remember the source you gave me here,next time you scrutinize other's posting.

About OPV:
----------------------------------
BN has lots of OPV and building more (may be needed) no way can fulfill the role of missile boat.

End of discussion

End of discussion-----again what actually did we discuss?? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I ask again... What is Bangladesh's threat perception to acquire such costly frigates?

Is Bangladesh looking to be a naval power in the bay of Bengal or is it simply looking for coastal defense?

If the former, than they would need to contend with IN already being there. In case of the later, I would say fast attack boats with a capable coast guard air arm would prove more effective.

Can someone clarify?

why china why not india??? b.aap se narazgi ho gye kia?? desh bana ke de dia, they cant give them few ships in donation??:D

You must be joking. AL or what, BD cannot procure its armaments from a potential enemy country that resides in our neighbourhood.

You must be joking. AL or what, BD cannot procure its armaments from a potential enemy country that resides in our neighbourhood.

For one, why would you consider India a 'potential' enemy country? Are you still making up your mind?

Second, India is now producing frigates for its own navy and quite sophisticated ones. Buying from India would further enhance the co-operation and improve interoperability. At the same time if BD develops its ship building facility, they may co-produce ships in the future.

Having a hostile posture against India in Bay of Bengal is a foolhardy approach, considering that India considers it as its backyard. Working togther is the only way forward.

Even if you guys buy three frigates, without a support battle group of missile corvettes, a supporting submarine fleet, anti submarine platforms both sea and air based and a very potent air cover would be nothing more than cannon fodder in case BD does decide to take on IN. A couple of air launched brahmos fired from stand off range would take care of these frigates.

Pakistan has invested a lot at the cost of its economy to maintain some parity, BD has everything to lose and nothing to gain in getting into an arms war with India in the bay of bengal.

For one, why would you consider India a 'potential' enemy country? Are you still making up your mind?
If it is not the USA, who can come with all its strong naval power, then it is only Burma and India who can do harm to Bangladesh, because these two countries are our neighbours. Both the countries are trying to take away a big chunk of BoB.

We need a strong navy to repulse any adventurism from these countries. Not only Frigates, BD is also to buy 4 units of submarines. There is no reason to buy any of these military equipments from India.

If it is not the USA, who can come with all its strong naval power, then it is only Burma and India who can do harm to Bangladesh, because these two countries are our neighbours. Both the countries are trying to take away a big chunk of BoB.

Burma is not worth mentioning in BoB, they are hardly a brown water navy:

Myanmar Navy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Furthermore, the navy's role seems more to protect the inland rivers and some fishing grounds

We need a strong navy to repulse any adventurism from these countries. Not only Frigates, BD is also to buy 4 units of submarines. There is no reason to buy any of these military equipments from India.

I agree! There is no reason too, and I am contending that buying makes sense cause BoB is shared space and forging better relations with India is a win-win for both countries. And like it or not but India already has a hegemony in the BoB, for which, I do not see a worthy contender in near future.

As for your assertion of adventurism, I reiterate, that 5 frigates + 4 subs are not much of a deterrent, in case India do decide to go on a little BD adventure :)

Dear wild fire brother u show ur fear form very begaining. Whats the problem if BN develop their equimpment to maintain their boundary. I am sure BN will never go to occopay others area. And about Indian adventure, let me tell u in now a day ur country can win every single battle or fight but war "NO".

Second, India is now producing frigates for its own navy and quite sophisticated ones. Buying from India would further enhance the co-operation and improve interoperability. At the same time if BD develops its ship building facility, they may co-produce ships in the future.

Having a hostile posture against India in Bay of Bengal is a foolhardy approach, considering that India considers it as its backyard. Working togther is the only way forward.

Even if you guys buy three frigates, without a support battle group of missile corvettes, a supporting submarine fleet, anti submarine platforms both sea and air based and a very potent air cover would be nothing more than cannon fodder in case BD does decide to take on IN. A couple of air launched brahmos fired from stand off range would take care of these frigates.

Pakistan has invested a lot at the cost of its economy to maintain some parity, BD has everything to lose and nothing to gain in getting into an arms war with India in the bay of bengal.

Are you for real? Every country, has the right to self defence. Bangladesh is starting to improve its economy and is now in a position to buy/produce its defence needs. If you understand anything, you will know that Bangladesh armed forces has a policy of not buying indian, period (you don't buy from your potential enemy).

Last edited:
Burma is not worth mentioning in BoB, they are hardly a brown water navy:

Furthermore, the navy's role seems more to protect the inland rivers and some fishing grounds

Judging Burmese navy through wikipedia don't seem too wise,provided their secretive nature.

I agree! There is no reason too, and I am contending that buying makes sense cause BoB is shared space and forging better relations with India is a win-win for both countries. And like it or not but India already has a hegemony in the BoB, for which, I do not see a worthy contender in near future.

As for your assertion of adventurism, I reiterate, that 5 frigates + 4 subs are not much of a deterrent, in case India do decide to go on a little BD adventure :)

So according to you,we should stop building army because the "Big Dada" is there with his hegemonic agenda??

You just answered your question yourself:

I ask again... What is Bangladesh's threat perception to acquire such costly frigates?

We won't attack you, but we are preparing so that no one thinks it would be picnic to attack Bangladesh.

Back
Top Bottom