What's new

Bangladesh Sizes Up Typhoons for Fighter Requirement

Why not JAS-39 latest version with Global Eye AWACS?? It's very deadly combo and will be cheaper to maintain and JAS-39 has better TAT / sortie ratio compared to EFT &. Rafales, also it is designed keeping in mind that Sweden facing much larger Russia so it can be operated from small roads with crew of 6 (if I m not wrong), it can carry similar weapons which other European jets can carry.

Uses GE F414 engine, which can be (whole or spares) embargoed at any time, as we have seen before....

But - could happen...

Why not JAS-39 latest version with Global Eye AWACS?? It's very deadly combo and will be cheaper to maintain and JAS-39 has better TAT / sortie ratio compared to EFT &. Rafales, also it is designed keeping in mind that Sweden facing much larger Russia so it can be operated from small roads with crew of 6 (if I m not wrong), it can carry similar weapons which other European jets can carry.
Being logical does not come inherently to the BAF if they tried Sweden even might offer tot but that also depends upon the number of platforms the BAF acquire. Needless to say, it's a Pandora's Box.

Uses GE F414 engine, which can be (whole or spares) embargoed at any time, as we have seen before....

But - could happen...

If BD can pay the bill them European companies can customize their engine for single engine JAS-39, Pakistan had offer of EJ200 engine for JFT which is used in EFT.

Last edited:

But - could happen...
Could should would. who cares Bangladesh needs to go for the JAS Gripen. Who wants to sanction Bangladesh anyway it has been peaceful since its inception.

Uses GE F414 engine, which can be (whole or spares) embargoed at any time, as we have seen before...

But - could happen...
You guys have enough cash to localise the damn engine and your lobby is strong in Europe and America. No one bats a second eye to Bangladesh.

Being logical does not come inherently to the BAF if they tried Sweden even might offer tot but that also depends upon the number of platforms the BAF acquire. Needless to say, it's a Pandora's Box.

To me JAS-39 with Global Eye AWACS is best choice for BD as it's now all about Network warfare also JAS-39 is designed and build on point that it can be used against much larger enemy by small county so it have all required equipment and capabilities which BD needs, BD should make it work horse like JFT of PAF and buy EFT or Rafale (if possible) for upper tier and long range maritime strike role bird.

Could should would. who cares Bangladesh needs to go for the JAS Gripen. Who wants to sanction Bangladesh anyway it has been peaceful since its inception.

You guys have enough cash to localise the damn engine and your lobby is strong in Europe and America. No one bats a second eye to Bangladesh.
Thailand has a squadron of Gripens, they are making it work. It is a known quantity.

Other than a single crash (pilot error) the platform is reliable. And 70M USD apiece is rather reasonable which the Thais paid.

Now Gripens being the numbers-platform alternative is a bit pricey (where JF-17 Block I is $20 million and Block 2 being $25 million which are still valid choices) - but we don't really need all that many.

I think Myanmar paid friendship first-adopter price of $15 Million each for their JF-17s, don't know if theirs were block one or two. I don't know what JF-17 block three will be priced at either.

The problem is not cash or technology. I know all problems can be solved given time.

It is having the balls wherewithal and backbone to stand up to the neighbor and take a bold decision.

Won't happen before these Sanghi bootlickers are removed from the leadership. Sad, sad situation.

Last edited:
To me JAS-39 with Global Eye AWACS is best choice for BD as it's now all about Network warfare also JAS-39 is designed and build on point that it can be used against much larger enemy by small county so it have all required equipment and capabilities which BD needs, BD should make it work horse like JFT of PAF and buy EFT or Rafale (if possible) for upper tier and long range maritime strike role bird.
Exactly localising the Gripen would be God sent for BD. It's not like they do not have the cash for it. They do but the willpower is lacking. Or should i say foresight.

The problem is not cash or technology. I know all problems can be solved given time.

It is having the ballsm wherewithal and backbone to stand up to the neighbor and take a bold decision.

Won't happen before these Sanghi bootlickers are removed from the leadership. Sad, sad situation.
Well then the discussion ends here change your leadership and we will continue. 😄

So is Typhoon.

The upcoming brank new Mk. 2 AESA radar would more likely "blind" the JF-17 Block 3.

Again, we are talking about a whole new level of capability with the latest UK version
They are improving and integrating some defense capability into radar but I don’t think, it can beat anything flying with dedicated jamming pod, and or huge AWACS.

1644969520700.jpeg

I guess someone is also warming up pockets in BD.

They are improving and integrating some defense capability into radar but I don’t think, it can beat anything flying with dedicated jamming pod, and or huge AWACS.

View attachment 815806

I guess someone is also warming up pockets in BD.

all defense deals has exchange of sweets the matter is who give more sweets you go to them

Bangladesh Airforce Should have a mix of at least Rafael F4/ EF T4 and J10c

Last edited:
Thailand has a squadron of Gripens, they are making it work. It is a known quantity.

Other than a single crash (pilot error) the platform is reliable. And 70M USD apiece is rather reasonable which the Thais paid.

Now Gripens being the numbers-platform alternative is a bit pricey (where JF-17 Block I is $20 million and Block 2 being $25 million which are still valid choices) - but we don't really need all that many.

I think Myanmar paid friendship first-adopter price of $15 Million each for their JF-17s, don't know if theirs were block one or two. I don't know what JF-17 block three will be priced at either.

Thailand bought the C/D Gripen. By the time BAF made a move for the model, SAAB stopped taking order for C/D & offered BAF the E/F's instead, which by the way costs a lot more than the previous model. Almost twice if you consider BAF wanted the second hand C/D 's

My assumption is JF 17 blk 3 might cost $30-40 million a piece, in that range it’s better to pay a million and half more & get the J-10.

If BAF goes for Rafale or Typhoon, the real problem will be finding the lower end of the combo.

Last edited:
Thailand bought the C/D Gripen. By the time BAF made a move for the model, SAAB stopped taking order for C/D & offered BAF the E/F's instead, which by the way costs a lot more than the previous model. Almost twice if you consider BAF wanted tge second hamd C/D 's

My assumption is JF 17 blk 3 might cost $30-40 million a piece, in that range it’s better to pay a million and half more & get the J-10.

If BAF goes for Rafale or Typhoon, the real problem will be finding the lower end of the combo.

JF17B3 cost around 50 million. J10CE cost is around 60 million.

These figures are updated to include recent inflation. The cost in performance is not to far off compared to eachother.

Bangladesh should aim for 2 squadrons of Typhoon by 2030 and 2-3 squadrons of Gripen. Typhoon will be its elite middle/heavy weight fighters while Gripen will be its light weight fighters. It should also buy 3-4 awacs from Saab to compliment its fighters.
Gripen would be a great fighter for the BAF. The Swedes are really focused on keeping avionics up to date (within a day for the entire fleet) in countering any adversary the plane meets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom