What's new

Bangladeshi beggars to be paid during World Cup

MINK

Reaction score
Country
India

banglabeggars-wc.jpg

A southeastern city in Bangladesh will pay local beggars to stay off the streets during next month's cricket World Cup.

Chittagong mayor Manzurul Alam said Sunday that the city will pay about 300 physically disabled beggars up to 150 takas ($2.11) a day. (Read: Dhaka beggars to be cleared for World Cup)

"Initially, it will continue for three months till end of April," Alam told The Associated Press. "We are planning to permanently rehabilitate them after that."

Chittagong, the second largest city in Bangladesh, is located 135 miles (215 kilometers) southeast of the capital, Dhaka.

Alam added that he expects to meet with the beggars' representatives on Tuesday to discuss the plan, which could also include free food and clothes.

Alam said he hopes to allow the "tourists and guests" to move freely on the streets during the "prestigious" event.

Beggars are a common sight in Bangladeshi cities, with an estimated 700,000 calling the country home.

The World Cup takes place Feb. 19 to April 2 and is co-hosted by Bangladesh, India and Sri Lanka.

Source: NDTV

banglabeggars-wc.jpg

A southeastern city in Bangladesh will pay local beggars to stay off the streets during next month's cricket World Cup.

Chittagong mayor Manzurul Alam said Sunday that the city will pay about 300 physically disabled beggars up to 150 takas ($2.11) a day. (Read: Dhaka beggars to be cleared for World Cup)
It is a novel inititive taken by the Chittagong mayor. However, it would have been more novel if all the disable(d) people were taken care of continuously by the govt. Govt. always promises, but does not deliver. There must be ways to solve the beggar problem.

Last edited:
It is a novel inititive take by the Chittagong mayor. However, it would have been more novel if all the disable(d) people were taken care of continuously by the govt. Govt. always promises, but does not deliver. There must be ways to solve the beggar problem.

Same 'honour' goes to Indian politician.............:lol:

I don't think these beggars would be in this state if it weren't for those corrupt politicians, South-Asia has one of the worst political issues; not as bad as african countries but in a way corruption is destroying the economy.
One of the countries that are suffering majority of the time is Pakistan, it is so sad to see politics destroying the country that you love most, my god if britian were to be like this I don't know what I'll do.. it will be sleepless nights.

I don't think these beggars would be in this state if it weren't for those corrupt politicians, South-Asia has one of the worst political issues; not as bad as african countries but in a way corruption is destroying the economy.
One of the countries that are suffering majority of the time is Pakistan, it is so sad to see politics destroying the country that you love most, my god if britian were to be like this I don't know what I'll do.. it will be sleepless nights.

True ... Really Hurts to see your country being Robbed.

By the way He's Zardari Which In Urdu Means the Man of Money, So he is. That's another case that the money is all looted by him. Hate Him.

Why create a fake impression?
These things when become news and already come out in front of people,i believe are farther more embarrassing.

Back
Top Bottom