What's new

Bolder now, India showing more risk appetite in its relations with China

The rivalry between India and China has to come out sooner or latter. Doklam incidence just expedited the matter. In a decade or so the confrontation will be much bolder than it is now.

Where will this take us?
Don't worry, if Chinese become aggressive anytime from now. They won't be able to escape from my mighty Mjölnir Hammer. :lol:

All you need to do is to edit your post and take out the offensive word. Easy peasy. My report will be cancelled, all will be well.
thank you sir, I did the word you highlighted.

I thought I will post PDF think tank @Dillinger ‘s article here since he visits the forum sporadically now>>>

Bolder now, India showing more risk appetite in its relations with China

Bhaswar Kumar | New Delhi Nov 02, 2017 02:42 PM IST

1506486444-1245.jpg

USS Nimitz, INS Vikramaditya and JS Izumo in close formation during Malabar 2017. Photo: @indiannavy

From face-off with Chinese troops at Doklam to being the only major country to boycott Xi Jinping's Belt and Road Forum in May this year, India appears to have significantly upped its risk appetite when it comes to its relations with Beijing.

And now, recent official statements from government bodies indicate India’s "openness" to revisiting a decade-old security framework, a move likely to make the dragon's hackles rise.

In response to the Japanese government’s proposal for a four-party dialogue among New Delhi, Washington, Tokyo, and Canberra to counter Beijing's expansion in the maritime commons of the Indo-Pacific, India’s Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Friday said the country was open to working with like-minded countries. Besides, it has been reported that senior officials from the four countries could meet in Manila this month on the sidelines of the East Asia Summit to discuss a proposed quadrilateral.

With more convergence on ‘quad’, India indicates it may take the leap

The MEA statement does not formally announce India's entry into the proposed framework, but it most certainly indicates a change in New Delhi's policy (since 2007) of avoiding a quadrilateral security mechanism to prevent tensions with China.

"What stands out is that New Delhi is no longer defensive about outlining its priorities. There now are growing voices within the country that India should not be shy of such a quad. There is a growing recognition in the region that China is gaining ground so fast that like-minded countries will need to work more cohesively together," says Harsh V Pant, professor of international relations at the Defence Studies Department, and the India Institute at King’s College, London.

Continued in the article here >>>

http://wap.business-standard.com/ar...-its-relations-with-china-117110200708_1.html

Do give your opinion
@anant_s @MilSpec @WebMaster
@pothead @Soumitra @egodoc222
Thanks for posting the article. :)

To all members, of all nationalities, namaskar, I am visiting this forum after ages. Hope all of you are in good health. For those who wish to troll me, wait a while, the troll inside me from the good old days is still in there somewhere. :p

@Joe Shearer Long time, sir. Would appreciate a more detailed reply on this policy shift. Yay or nay.

@nair Thank you, sir. Do let me know your thoughts on the piece.

Enough about the piece itself. Eagerly waiting to see what forum members have to say about the interesting times in Indo-Pacific geopolitics.

Thanks for posting the article. :)

To all members, of all nationalities, namaskar, I am visiting this forum after ages. Hope all of you are in good health. For those who wish to troll me, wait a while, the troll inside me from the good old days is still in there somewhere. :p

@Joe Shearer Long time, sir. Would appreciate a more detailed reply on this policy shift. Yay or nay.

@nair Thank you, sir. Do let me know your thoughts on the piece.

Enough about the piece itself. Eagerly waiting to see what forum members have to say about the interesting times in Indo-Pacific geopolitics.

I'm coming to the second part, in about an hour. Need to medicate myself; some little pi-dog wandered in and sent my BP zooming up. Bear with me.

It's GOOD to see you back; been too long. Just remind me, were we friends or frenemies back then?

Sir, i edited my post but it wasn't that abuse compared to what Chinese fan boys do with other country fellows here. anyways thanks.

Friend, dog biting man isn't news; man biting dog is headline news. I've said this before; and I will add the slogan of the Scottish Urquhart family:

"They say.
What say they?
Let them say."

At the end of the day it's a great news from the Pak perspective!!! Go Modi go!!!!!

*Folks from Gujrat are a boon for Pak - Gandhi, Patel, Desai,Modi etc...

uncle joe was on another thread earlier calling pakistan a failed state in every comment full on trolling saying most of PDFers are madrassa educated etc etc and then came on this thread and started speaking righteously

you couldn't make this up :omghaha:

i can smell a coward like him from a mile away
In Turkey Medrasa is rebranded as Imam Hatip School where both religious and physical/social sciences are taught along with foreign languages. Later they can join any faculty in the university including business, engineering, medicine, law etc. Reis Erdo'an and many of his top lieutenants are the graduates of Imam Hatip school. Currently, 1.3m kids - both boys and girls - are studying in such schools. In Erdo'an's vision a Dindar Nesil (Faithful generation) is being raised so that they can be at the helms to take Turkey to the next level....

*Religious sciences in Turkey are based on 14 centuries of collective Islamic knowledge and practices, which worked as bedrocks for the foundation of the Ottoman Empire...

Last edited by a moderator:
From Indian perspective... the formulation and execution of the curren Indian policy is driven primarily by sense of diminishing returns what the Indian policy establishment percieves as China Appeasement. Also, existential angst regarding South Tibet and NE plays a part.

This is also the motivation of energetic opposition to CPEC.

Regarding OBOR opposition...it appears to have more to do with creating chips on the negotiation table than actual opposition to the BRI. Why else would India be part of AIIB or BRICS otherwise.

In the coming time we are primed to see more 'stand-offs' just like the last one. Both PRC and India are expecting this Cat-n-Mouse to play out with increasing frequency. So staying tuned won't be a bad idea aferall.

On many different levels such stand-offs can/shall serve the domestic appetites on both fronts. However, managing the Stage of such confrontations would require the highest maturity of policymakers to not let things come to a boil.

India is at the verge of defining her future course in the coming months and years. The direction that such a policy will take have a lasting impact on Asia and beyond:

a) Asian affairs led/managed by Asians = India and China find a working mechanism

b) Asian affairs still led by external powers = India joins the US led China Containment Party.

As Indian elites, rightfully or wrongfully, percieve a global, great power role for India it would be difficult for them to play second fiddle to China. The feeling of Civilisational Uniqueness is deeply rooted in Indian psyche. Hence, the complusion of certain hues.

On the other end of the spectrum, from Indian perspective, is the undeclared alliance with the US led overtly containment party. Herein, there is studied hesitation from Indian establishment to go full throtle. At least not in the current configuration. Despite the seduction episodes of last two US Admins... Indians have played hard to get so far.

As of now there have not been any tangible benefits, from Indian perspective, which can warrant an overt eagerness to join the China Containment Party. Yet.

Also, somewhere emotionally there is an element of 'my backyard' when it comes to South Asia. Indians appear to see Chinese investments in the region as loss of perstige and weakening of their strategic clout among the smaller countries. This must also put opposition to OBOR/BRI into proper perspective.

And then there is Eternal Nemesis to the West... That South West Asian regional power which refuses to any Indian advances. Again China is there to make sure the continuiting of Pak as a viable state. CPEC is a framework on so many levels that it has become imperative for Indian establishment to oppose it with full force. And NO... it has nothing to do with disputed terriorty narrative...that is just a vehicle.

From China's perspective... the Time for China has come... and no power on this Earth can stop it. This is the motivation and driving force behind Xi's Thought and Action.

In this dynamic one fears that tensions will remain and will increase on different levels or forms. China has firmly set its sights on South Tibet and a certian part of Kashmir... which for India would be unacceptable as it would amount to existential threat.

The US, JP and Aus would like nothing better that for India to 'take the lead' in this emerging dynamic. The socalled coming of age and standing up to China.

We can never reduce the relationship between China and India to mere simple notions. Both would do everything possible to avoid a direct confrontation or let the tenstions/hostility to become unmanagable.

Regardless, the nationalistic fervers or PDF brovados... this relationship needs to be managed extremely well. Any miscalculation would be a disaster for not only South Asia but perhaps the world.

But for now we must expect that both sides would appear to dig in... losing Face is no Option for China.... and Indians will also not like to loose their sense of Indian Honour infront of the world. But most importantly infront of South Asians.

Hopefully, wise sense pervails and constructive dialouge could begin following an agreed framework.

Signs don't bode well.

@hellfire @Joe Shearer @The Eagle @Oscar @scorpionx @Chinese-Dragon @Kaptaan friends what is your take on the situation? Having views from both sides would help form a better understanding of ground realities.
Thanks for a comprehensive analysis. According to the BJP Harvad educated idologue Swamy, the problem with the Hindu mindset is that they suffer from hesitation and confusion for they want to put their legs on multiple boats at the same time!!!! Their minds move too swiftly as they want to juggle with all the opportunities!!!! On the other hand, for the countries like Pak and Turkey, the singularity of purpose and channeling all the energies to that regard usually suits them best....

stay away from forums if a comment by a poster has your BP shooting up old dog.

shame your BP wasn't shooting up in the morning when you were calling pakistan a failed state and how everyone on pdf is madrassa educated....

LOL.

Are you so stupid that you think that the Mods or even sane members will take your guff for granted without checking? And that they won't take my well-known views on these issues into account, just because you jump from foot to foot and flap your arms around?

My BP is better now, the medication I take is a special category guaranteed to guard me against green bhakts.

both india china should sit together . USA is evil stay away from them

Back
Top Bottom