What's new

Border breached as India, Bangladesh remember 'language martyrs'

Hundreds of people were crossing over to each others side through the akhaura border and people were showing true brotherhood :tup:

The days going by relation with West Bengal becoming very far from us but bonding with tripura is becoming strong.
We will surely payback u ppl's support u shown us from past to present :tup:

Keeping old cultural traditions, including language is positive for maintaining historical continuity, a very valuable factor for competitive edge. That said, I want to share some controversial historical points:

- at outset in Pakistan after 1947, instead of Urdu, I feel we should have chosen English as the official language, while maintaining local languages as 2nd official languages. Urdu was and still is not mother tongue of any significant portion of the people that is forced to learn and speak it. Urdu was not even the official language of Mughal empire, Persian was. Turkic languages were mother tongue of most Islamic rulers in South Asia (Persian speaking Turkic people from Central Asia), while Persian was language of court and literature

- with this step, we could avoid a language movement that opened up the ethnic fault line between two sides, eventually broke up Pakistan and gave India a strategic victory

- after 1971, AL led by Mujib made Bangla as the medium of instruction, pretty much abolishing English medium education (except for church affiliated schools), affecting the continuity of English medium education from colonial times. This has negatively affected Bangladesh competitive edge in many economic sectors

- instead of religion or language or ethnicity, as a culture and civilization, we should rather look at more practical needs and factors, such as sources of water and size of economy. If we concentrated on these essential factors instead of basing our decisions on fears and emotions, IMO we would not commit the blunder of separating in a state with the Radcliffe borders and box ourselves in and got into a fight for "independence" with another wing that happens to be 1200 miles away, a fantastic arrangement for a country to begin with

- the story of our country and people have been one fantastic geopolitical blunder after another, which resulted in our current sorry state, but no matter, all problems have solutions, difficult as they may be. The most important part is that we should learn from our mistakes, not base our decisions on emotional factors such as language, ethnicity or religion, rather practical needs such as development and economic advancement and explore geopolitical options that are open to us

- if we give the option to a Bangladeshi that he will get a visa to US or EU, will he care that these places do not have the same religion, ethnicity or language, almost every Bangladeshi would decide to go to these places, regardless of the difference. Just to give you an example. What we understand as individuals, the drive to improve our economic situation, we have to do that kind of thinking as a nation

Now, please do not use the above, like someone we know, to twist it every which way you can and propagate that I am not patriotic etc. etc., actually I do not believe in territorial nationalism. IMO it is obsolete, I believe in regionalism.

THATS A BREAKING NEWS...:D

If u come to mumbai..pm me..tumhe real Roshgollas khilaunga:cheers:

Oye ji, BD main bhi acche Rasgulle milte hain.

@Loki, what is your idea of good Rossogullas? I remember a chain of sweet shops in BD called "Fullkolli" which had good sweets. Are they around still? One particular one in Chittagong was nice gathering place for all kinds of interesting people for long chats on various topics. Gave me quite a lot of insight in to matters in BD.

Last edited by a moderator:

@Loki, what is your idea of good Rossogullas? I remember a chain of sweet shops in BD called "Fullkolli" which had good sweets. Are they around still? One particular one in Chittagong was nice gathering place for all kinds of interesting people for long chats on various topics. Gave me quite a lot of insight in to matters in BD.

Come to BD, now roshgullas are even better and of many kinds, there are many shops now :)

Ha, it's spongy and tastes as bad. Chanar rosogollar kothai alada. :D

I don't mind the spongy ones either :D

Mishti khele khulnae jao. Sheirokom jinish banay :azn:

abe tum rasgulla discuss karna bandh karo..........aewehi khane ki talak laga rahe ho....... mujhe itni raat ko rasgulle kahan milenge khane ko aur raat bhar neend bhi nahi aayegi is rassgulle ke khayal se...:cry:

Of course....I am not sure about BD people, but people in Paschimbanga are very much cultural and they really stick to the roots and language wherever they go...That is why Bengali language and Bengali culture is considered to be a one of the most classic and traditional culture in India and even in Bollywood...Sticking to their language and root is a thing that should be learned from Bengali people......

Ummm........I think the whole occasion was about BD people dying for their language!

It was through such a milon mela / carnival that the RAW and Bongobhumi cadre were able to slip into BD to carry out the Peelkhana massacre.

Back
Top Bottom