What's new

BREAKING NEWS: Canada’s Population Grows by Over 1 Million for First Time!!!! (Annual expansion of 2.7%)

According to Portuguese law, all Goans are considered Portuguese citizens by descent for up to 3 generations. A Goan has to merely go to the Portuguese Consulate, register his / her birth and collect the Citizen ID card and then the passport and is free to work and live anywhere in the European Union. They do not need to sneak in illegally but have right of abode in Portugal.

Yes.
I had acquired Canadian residency in the 90s but after living there for a while, I realized they, relatively, paid peanuts and that too after stiff competition, despite my American college education and experience. I still had the option to live in America and so I moved back. I can't imagine the situation in Canada is better now with so many more millions added.

Amazing career opportunities in America. Amazing range of climates. People just need to stay away from certain cities and even then only parts of those cities.

If there are meaningful healthcare reforms and better work-life balance, then I truly believe America is the best country in the world! There is something for everyone, every budget, ethnicity, political leaning... @Hamartia Antidote
it is interesting because I have had exact opposite your experience...I have always worked for large American corporations operating in Canada . And have been assigned many times to live on perdiem (company paied) in various US cities with offers to stay in the US permanently (Texas, Minnesota.. etc)..I never wanted to change..Spend one summer in Montreal and you will never want to leave . European style of living in a North American environment.. my pay was always higher than same person in US..but I paied more taxes..my wife is American that immigrated with her parents to Canada (yes many Americans here). I like US because of diversity of weather but I would always choose Canada as my home but I also remember my birth country of Iran with love.

it is interesting because I have had exact opposite your experience...I have always worked for large American corporations operating in Canada . And have been assigned many times to live on perdiem (company paied) in various US cities with offers to stay in the US permanently (Texas, Minnesota.. etc)..I never wanted to change..Spend one summer in Montreal and you will never want to leave . European style of living in a North American environment.. my pay was always higher than same person in US..but I paied more taxes..my wife is American that immigrated with her parents to Canada (yes many Americans here). I like US because of diversity of weather but I would always choose Canada as my home but I also remember my birth country of Iran with love.

I absolutely respect what you are saying. But different times, Different age groups. Different personal situations. In my case, in mid to late 90s, America was booming while Canada was, to me while in Canada, seemed like a fast food restaurant. I lived in Vancouver, BC. To me that seemed like the most beautiful city in the world. And perhaps it is. But the employment opportunities were minuscule. My (new) Pakistani friends in Vancouver tried to tell me something like 'With your American university degree and work experience, you wouldn't have any problem landing a job'.
They were wrong. And I don't think anyone can blame me for being a 'slacker' or something like that. I have been a 'workaholic' all my life.

Currently, Canada is an absolute sh*thole compared to the US. The salaries in Canada are incredibly pathetic, especially considering the cost of living.
@VCheng
Such comparisons are only relative, and to be fair, Canada has many good points too. Taxation rates and costs of living are higher, but healthcare and social services are thought to be much better. The job market for professionals is certainly much smaller, but having a Canadian passport gives much easier access to the bigger jobs pools south of the border. That is why immigration into Canada can be a good step for many, as we can observe.

Such comparisons are only relative, and to be fair, Canada has many good points too. Taxation rates and costs of living are higher, but healthcare and social services are thought to be much better. The job market for professionals is certainly much smaller, but having a Canadian passport gives much easier access to the bigger jobs pools south of the border. That is why immigration into Canada can be a good step for many, as we can observe.
It's only a good step for people from the third countries. Healthcare is the only area where Canada beats the US. Western and Northern European countries are wayyyyyyyyy better options if one can immigrate there.

It's only a good step for people from the third countries. Healthcare is the only area where Canada beats the US. Western and Northern European countries are wayyyyyyyyy better options if one can immigrate there.

Yes, but please keep in mind that all of them are able to afford such services only because they benefit from USA's defense coverage and healthcare R&D. Options can be "better" only if they are available, such as immigration.

Absolutely.
Getting a Canadian passport provides options to work in America where there are millions of jobs.
It is the climate of Canada which sucks. And it sucks for too many months a year. But if the global warming forecasts are to be believed, then the climate would be of lesser concern.
Canada has many strong points. If I didn't already have a great life in America then would definitely consider going there. But EU would be my #1 alternative, especially southern Europe like Portugal.

Canada's population is like Pakistan's Forex Reserves. Either they don't increase, or when they do, it's not theirs. lol
:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:
Ah! This is gold (unlike what's in Pakistan's reserves)!

I live in Saskatchewan and we recently received thousands and thousands of Ukranian immigrants since Russian and Ukrainian war. The Ukrainian women are drop dead Gorgeous so I don't complain. We don't really receive any other nationalities becusse our winters are harsh and our city is way damn small compared to Toronto and BC or Calgary.

Yes, but please keep in mind that all of them are able to afford such services only because they benefit from USA's defense coverage and healthcare R&D. Options can be "better" only if they are available, such as immigration.
Canada also benefits from the US's defence coverage and healthcare R&D; however, its welfare system isn't anywhere near as good as that of the European countries.

I live in Saskatchewan and we recently received thousands and thousands of Ukranian immigrants since Russian and Ukrainian war. The Ukrainian women are drop dead Gorgeous so I don't complain. We don't really receive any other nationalities becusse our winters are harsh and our city is way damn small compared to Toronto and BC or Calgary.

Saskatchewan used to get a lot of European immigrants in the 1800s and early 1900s but after that Europeans stopped immigrating to Saskatchewan.

Absolutely.
Getting a Canadian passport provides options to work in America where there are millions of jobs.
It is the climate of Canada which sucks. And it sucks for too many months a year. But if the global warming forecasts are to be believed, then the climate would be of lesser concern.
Canada has many strong points. If I didn't already have a great life in America then would definitely consider going there. But EU would be my #1 alternative, especially southern Europe like Portugal.

I would agree with the above. It is not just professionals, but even successful Canadian entertainers find much better and broader prospects in the much bigger market in USA. There are a small number of Americans going the other way too, so, for some, what Canada offers still works quite well.

Canada also benefits from the US's defence coverage and healthcare R&D; however, its welfare system isn't anywhere near as good as that of the European countries.

Think of Canada as a compromise between the policies of Europe, and those of USA, that Canadians have found to work better for their circumstances. It is not all maple syrup and poutine only. Please look up the many ongoing border disputes between Canada and USA when you have some free time.

Back
Top Bottom