What's new

BYD zooms past Tesla in China's electric-car market

Yes we failed..... America stronk.... Lolol

Well somebody was highly touting the BYD Han EV with its Blade battery as the world dominator since before 2019...so far that "Spear and Magic helmet" hasn't worked out very well.

Last edited:
Well somebody was highly touting the BYD Han EV with its Blade battery as the world dominator since before 2019...so far that "Spear and Magic helmet" hasn't worked very well.

What's Han? Dude just because my name is Han, I am endorsing Han? Lol
I was talking about blade batteries. Let me see, the best selling model in China was Tang EV and it was using blade batteries too, funny how you omitted this fact huh.

Truth hurts right, tesla technology is crap compared to BYD. Lol. But I still remember someone said Tesla will dominate Chinese EV market forever. Lol. And now someone has no choice but to be model specific. Hell even NIO makes better car than Tesla. Just admit you lost the bet mate. Still remember you saying China will lose the trade war and Covid will destroy China, and US will default on our bonds, and Huawei will collapse turns out after 900k dead Muricans, we are still standing and thriving. Lol

Last edited:
usa export shrunk coz of covid or tesla moved to export from China due to better quality ?

US/World demand soared from 509,000 in 2020 to 936,000 in 2021 causing the two auto factories to scramble trying to satisfy orders. There was also an insane worldwide demand for Tesla battery backups diverting cell production from their vehicles.

Remember Tesla hasn't even started a world advertising campaign yet because they have such a big backlog.

They are opening two new factories:

Tesla confirms Giga Berlin delivery launch for 22 March​

Tesla’s Giga Fest At Giga Texas Date: April 7, 2022​

Last edited:
US/World demand soared from 509,000 in 2020 to 936,000 in 2021 causing the two factories to scramble trying to satisfy orders.

Remember Tesla hasn't even started a world advertising campaign yet because they have such a big backlog.

They are opening two new factories:

Tesla confirms Giga Berlin delivery launch for 22 March​

Tesla’s Giga Fest At Giga Texas Date: April 7, 2022​

CATL is already there, no matter Berlin or whatever, they will still be Four Wheels on Chinese Batteries, and other Chinese components:
Tesla is no match for BYD who uses all its own components from the batteries to the IGBT chips, to the screen display, and everything.

Last edited:
This is just the beginning, BYD finally has the capacity to explore the international market (domestic demand is too high for them to spare any capacity for the international market) where its demand is tremendous.:

CATL is already there, no matter Berlin or whatever, they will still be Four Wheels on Chinese Batteries, and other Chinese components:
Tesla is no match for BYD who uses all its own components from the batteries to the IGBT chips, to the screen display, and everything.

Nope, eventually GigaBerlin will be switching to the Tesla custom designed 4680 batteries built in house when the GigaBerlin battery factory opens.

rechargable-battery-size-comparison-18650-600w-1985365400.jpg

But right now yes they will be using the old 2170's imported from companies like CATL and Panasonic. They aren't going to sink money into new assembly lines for the old battery style...let CATL do that.

Last edited:
If I ever live in China, I won't considered Tesla given the number of choice there.

That's exactly what the Chinese members here said just a few short years ago when Tesla first entered the Chinese Market..but guess what happened.

2018: Tesla sales in China so small it doesn't even make the top 20 in EV sales for the year.

2019: Tesla Model 3 the #8 most popular EV model sold in China

2020: Tesla Model 3 the #1 most popular EV model sold in China

2021: Tesla Model 3 takes #2 and Tesla Model Y takes #3.

So Tesla goes from absolutely nothing to #2 and #3 in a span of 3 years. That's incredible given the number of EV choices in China.

Last edited:
That's exactly what the Chinese members here said just a few short years ago when Tesla first entered the Chinese Market..but guess what happened.

2018: Tesla sales in China so small it doesn't even make the top 20 in EV sales for the year.

2019: Tesla Model 3 the #8 most popular EV model sold in China

2020: Tesla Model 3 the #1 most popular EV model sold in China

2021: Tesla Model 3 takes #2 and Tesla Model Y takes #3.

So Tesla goes from absolutely nothing to #2 and #3 in a span of 3 years. That's incredible given the number of EV choices in China.
Live with it. :sarcastic:

That is what competition is all about.

Tesla will have to do more than that to win more Chinese buyers. That is why it build another big factory in North China, economy of scale I believe.

Competition is indeed fierce inside China.

Chinese buyers are getting sophiscated and well informed about what they wanted in an EV.

Brand loyalty is losing its fad.

Personally I don't even like the design of Tesla car. Too bland for my taste.

Exactly. This is why Chinese EV's lost out

2018 most popular EV's.
plug-in-electric-car-sales-in-china-december-2018.jpg
My question to you is: Was any Chinese EV a real competitor to Tesla back then?

But today they are and pose serious threat oversea as well. Apart from the US that applied unfair trade practices and restrictions to block the import of Chinese EV.

That is what domestic competition did to China own EV industries.

IMO Tesla will continue to see a decline in its sales inside China unless it can outshine her competitors in nascent technologies.

As I predicted, Tesla is nothing special.

An electric car is just a body, electric motor, battery and software. Any semi-decent car company can do this at a similar standard.

Tesla has done well but it will soon face tough competition as the other established car makers get in on the act.

Back
Top Bottom