What's new

Can Japan show the West how to live peacefully with Islam?

1) Poverty and Low Education Don't Cause Terrorism
2) As long as Japan retains stringent immigration controls and naturalization requirements, it will never have a large Muslim population. In which case, we will not be able to draw any conclusions for how Japan can "live peacefully with Islam," because it's actually not doing so.

How is it stringent when we are mainly implementing the same kind of immigration policies as the United States? I think the better term to use is 'selective' requirements.

Japan does accept limited number of refugees, but immigrants that are brought into the country are professionals, that will contribute to the JAPANESE society. Period.

And we do have a vibrant Muslim community in Japan.
Japanese Muslims, Islam in Japan : JapaneseMuslims.com

Muslims, Jews and Christians have coexisted in peace for centuries. If the west changes its interventionist foreign policy towards the Muslim world, there would be no problem.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH sorry but HAHAHAHAHAH

It was the muslim world that started to attack the west. Until the west united and beat the islamic world into what it is today. Muslims, jews and christians existed in no time at peace with each other.

And why should we change our "interventionalist" policies? We are thinking beings. We influence what we want to influence.

1) Poverty and Low Education Don't Cause Terrorism
2) As long as Japan retains stringent immigration controls and naturalization requirements, it will never have a large Muslim population. In which case, we will not be able to draw any conclusions for how Japan can "live peacefully with Islam," because it's actually not doing so.

I heard that Japan even requires you to change your family name to a Japanese name for citizenship. This is the most bizarre requirement ever. Of course, after couple of generations, those foreigners will be fully integrated since they have even lost their family names, lol.

I also fully agree with the population factors in your earlier post.

They are at war with radical segments who distort and take parts of the Holy Q'uran out of context.
Not really. For most of the non-Muslims and their countries, Islam and Muslim(particularly Sunni) are not having a good reputation. also, please mind that those who are Muslims cannot get why Non-Muslims distance away or simply tolerate Islam, but does not *appreciate* your belief. When you grow up in a Islamic community- as a Muslim reciting Kalima and do sunnath following the religion like no other(Hindu, Chrisitan, Buddhist)s follow with such dedication and blinded by belief, you will not understand the dislike(hate is a strong word for that!) for Islam. it is not Islamophobia. In fact, in my state in India(Kerala), many have converted to Islam to save their lives not too long ago(conversion by sword). so basically us, infidels have a good understanding of Islamic system - the "Outsider's look" or a Sneak peak. Infidels don't love Islam, but keeps great friendship and considers Muslims as equal while it is unfortunate that many blinded(by faith) Muslims don't think so.

Last edited:
Reply to Okemos:

Yes, naturalized citizens are required to take up Japanese names.

Isn´t that weird? I mean imagine i would immigrate to Japan, i would have to get a japanese name? As an italian? o_O How would that work?

Hypothetically, yes, if you would apply to become a naturalized Japanese citizen, then you relinquish citizenship from your other country. It is very difficult to have a dual citizenship for Japanese.

The reason why you have to adopt Japanese names is because your name must be written in hiragana, katakana and kanji script. It is very common for Japanese citizens who come form a multicultural multiracial background to have longer first names, tho. :)

Btw, there are some famous Italian-Japanese in Japan. ;)
Beautiful mix..IMHO.

Not really. For most of the non-Muslims and their countries, Islam and Muslim(particularly Sunni) are not having a good reputation. also, please mind that those who are Muslims cannot get why Non-Muslims distance away or simply tolerate Islam, but does not *appreciate* your belief. When you grow up in a Islamic community- as a Muslim reciting Kalima and do sunnath following the religion like no other(Hindu, Chrisitan, Buddhist)s follow with such dedication and blinded by belief, you will not understand the dislike(hate is a strong word for that!) for Islam. it is not Islamophobia. In fact, in my state in India(Kerala), many have converted to Islam to save their lives not too long ago. so basically us, infidels don't love Islam, but keeps great friendship and considers Muslims as equal while it is unfortunate that many blinded(by faith) Muslims don't think so.

I have traveled the world and I can assure you that is not the case. It really depends on what cultural group the Muslim community comes from and the type of Islam practiced. Your use of the word "Sunni" also shows your lack of understanding of the quite diverse groupings under this broad term e.g. the difference between a Sufi and a Wahabi Muslim, both deemed Sunni but varying massively in their Minhaj (way of doing things in Arabic).

I've seen plenty of people "blinded" by faith as you say. I do believe you have a credible point as true faith should open one's heart and not close it. People who hold rigidly to dogma can often be seen by others as ignorant, which of course eventually turns to distain. But this again the process of "Ijtihad" (reasoning) should be going on, which sadly has taken a backseat in the Muslim world. Such Muslims you talk of need to change.

Hypothetically, yes, if you would apply to become a naturalized Japanese citizen, then you relinquish citizenship from your other country. It is very difficult to have a dual citizenship for Japanese.

The reason why you have to adopt Japanese names is because your name must be written in hiragana, katakana and kanji script. It is very common for Japanese citizens who come form a multicultural multiracial background to have longer first names, tho. :)

Beautiful mix..IMHO.

I'd like to be called Jubei Kibagami.

images

Manga fan here!

@MarkusS ,

Adopting a Japanese version of your name does not necessarily mean changing the aspect of your name, but merely making it into the Japanese version (to be written in Japanese script)

For example, let's say there is a man who's Western name is Jacob, in Japanese it is written as ジェイコブ OR pronounced as [JEI KO BU]

Or maybe a woman who's western name is Rebecca, it will be translated into Japanese as レベッカ OR pronounced as [Rai Bi Ka]

ETC, ETC.

Beautiful mix..IMHO.

Thanks for explaining. So how would that work? How would my name be then?

How is it stringent when we are mainly implementing the same kind of immigration policies as the United States? I think the better term to use is 'selective' requirements.

Japan does accept limited number of refugees, but immigrants that are brought into the country are professionals, that will contribute to the JAPANESE society. Period.

And we do have a vibrant Muslim community in Japan.
Japanese Muslims, Islam in Japan : JapaneseMuslims.com

Japan has far stricter immigration protocols than the United States. Japan does not grant citizenship jus soli like the United States. Japan does not have an immigration system geared toward family reunification like the United States. Japan's immigrant population on the whole is a fraction of that of the United States.

I am not saying Japan's methods are bad; on the contrary, I believe Japan is doing the right thing. But in doing so, Japan cannot claim that it has found a model for "how to live peacfully with Islam," since its model is essentially to keep the Muslim population small and manageable. Which means it's not a model for "how to live peacefully with Islam."

Last edited:
Isn´t that weird? I mean imagine i would immigrate to Japan, i would have to get a japanese name? As an italian? o_O How would that work?

@MarkusS ,

For example your name 'MARKUS'

The Japanese version of that is マルコ [MA RU KO]

;)

Japan has far stricter immigration protocols than the United States. Japan does not grant citizenship jus soli like the United States. Japan does not have an immigration system aligned toward family reunification like the United States. Japan's immigrant population on the whole is a fraction of that of the United States.

I am not saying Japan's methods are bad; on the contrary, I believe Japan is doing the right thing. But in doing so, Japan cannot claim that it has found a model for "how to live peacfully with Islam," since its model is essentially to keep the Muslim population small and manageable. Which means it's not a model for "how to live peacefully with Islam."

Dude, you're a bit defensive. We're not saying our immigration system is equal or on pars with the United States, but our selective criteria is present. We are just recently beginning to accept more immigration. In fact, Abe wants to implement a immigration quota of 200,000 immigrants per year.

Thanks.

@MarkusS ,

For example your name 'MARKUS'

The Japanese version of that is マルコ [MA RU KO]

;)

Dude, you're a bit defensive. We're not saying our immigration system is equal or on pars with the United States, but our selective criteria is present. We are just recently beginning to accept more immigration. In fact, Abe wants to implement a immigration quota of 200,000 immigrants per year.

Thanks.

So a japanese person would call me Ma Ru Ko? Interesting, it sounds very different.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom