What's new

Can Pakistan successfully build Engines for Tanks and Jet Fighters?

The current R&D paradigm in Pakistan is restricted to only investing in ventures when purchase/import is not possible.
When engines for both tanks and aircraft can be bought without restrictions and strings then there is no need to waste millions of dollars for it which are needed elsewhere for technology that cannot be procured that easily.

most Pakistanis think so..but it is not.the fact is it couldn't produce desired thrust that was needed for LCA,i.e. over 90 KW,while Kaveri could produce 85KW.but think this way,we now have an engine of 85 KW which we've developed 1/7th cost of development what another county would do.plus,the engine performance is somewhat higher than F-404 in most sector.it was a parallel development,and atlast, it remained so.but there are multiple sectors where they're planning to use Kaveri's derivatives.so,not a failed project at all.

The engine was meant for the LCA, it turned out to be inadequate and now will end up being used for Ships and a future UCAV. SO the program DID NOT meet its original design goals and hence failed in them.What is good is that it is still going to be useful for other purposes and served as a learning platform for a better future engine to be produced in India.

The engine was meant for the LCA, it turned out to be inadequate and now will end up being used for Ships and a future UCAV. SO the program DID NOT meet its original design goals and hence failed in them.What is good is that it is still going to be useful for other purposes and served as a learning platform for a better future engine to be produced in India.
The Indian authorities are still hopeful that it will be used to power Tejas in future after its first overhaul. So i would not call it a fail project per say.

Pakistan just cannot build engines.. forget it.. Mods please close this thread.

sweet heart you need to realize that we don't need to be dependent on other countries for our engines… if today russia and china stop giving us engines then who will you call daddy??

look at india.. they are developing their own engine to be self reliant… i would think islamists would want pakistan to be self sufficient but i guess not… you and zarvan both want to only import stuff…. i he said we should didn't develop our own assault rifles and guns while your saying we should develop our own engines….

implications of making our own engines?

Can we export Zarvans and import Jet engines ?

The Indian authorities are still hopeful that it will be used to power Tejas in future after its first overhaul. So i would not call it a fail project per say.

it would in fact power Tejas if authorities use Snecma's help to make changes of Kaveri.but they didn't take their help as it'd serve no purpose as it'd be then remain as "Indigenous Product" in name only.though the choice was a hard one,I respect their choice.we need the knowledge of making capable engines that only R&D can give.

it would in fact power Tejas if authorities use Snecma's help to make changes of Kaveri.but they didn't take their help as it'd serve no purpose as it'd be then remain as "Indigenous Product" in name only.though the choice was a hard one,I respect their choice.we need the knowledge of making capable engines that only R&D can give.
I thought that they rejected Snecma's offer due to its insistence on using M88 core instead of Kabini core.Is it true?

I thought that they rejected Snecma's offer due to its insistence on using M88 core instead of Kabini core.Is it true?

actually,on their view,that engine then will be "an engine built by Snecma and certified by GTRE",something like that.plus,SNECMA,who was building engines for 50 years,took 13 years to build M88.so,its no wonder that GTRE having no experience took similar time frame.

If Pakistan want to make Air craft engines then they should start is with small ones like engines for CMs, Super Mashak & K-8 that may help to develop the base for future advance engine development but funds and human resources is very important factor in it.

we have to take the first step of making something… this type of mentality will keep us in the stone age…
so what if they will have something better in the west??
Your patriotism isn't the only ingredient needed for making engines.

Now I didn't say that we cannot build jet engines. we just can't build turbofans. we need to think out-of-the-box.

Just forget turbofans. We can do research on Scramjet technology because it is a new technology and it's not based on turbofans.

@MastanKhan

I don't see it happening for any Jet fighters anytime soon.There are so much issues to deal with like for example the blades,temperature,etc.

Your patriotism isn't the only ingredient needed for making engines.

Now I didn't say that we cannot build jet engines. we just can't build turbofans. we need to think out-of-the-box.

Just forget turbofans. We can do research on Scramjet technology because it is a new technology and it's not based on turbofans.

@MastanKhan

@The Huskar

Can't we have a twin engine plane concept? I mean two engines equal to 170KN power or is AMCA will fitted with two Kaveri??

Back
Top Bottom