What's new

Carrier Flight Deck - Modernised Super Etendard

Nilgiri

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
42 Years of Service, the last flight of the legend in the Marine Nationale.

My friend updated his channel with a new one with lots of great footage. A beautiful video! I hope all I tag enjoy it. Please tag others you know that might like it that I have missed! If you would like to be tagged in future please give the post a thumbs up, I will add you to my military tech fan list if you are not already there. If anyone has any need for a translation of any part in the middle please feel free to ask (it is about what the aircraft meant to them in special ways w.r.t their life and careers etc).

@Vergennes @SpArK @Taygibay @mike2000 is back @Blue Marlin @PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy @Penguin @Zarvan @Windjammer @django @The Sandman @Desert Fox @anant_s @Water Car Engineer @BDforever @Mohammed Khaled @~Phoenix~ @Oscar @Manticore @WAJsal @dadeechi @Jamwal's @GR!FF!N @fsayed @kaykay

@SvenSvensonov @Aung Zaya @F-22Raptor @Devil Soul @DavidSling @Adir-M @Desertfalcon @jhungary @Chinese-Dragon @egodoc222 @illuminatidinesh @Rajaraja Chola @Gibbs @Godman
@AUSTERLITZ

Last edited:
What is the name aircraft shown in the video?

BTW,Great job by your friend!

It is the Super Etendard. It has quite the history (first flight 1974) and was more recently modernised. This was its last flight. A tribute to its wonderful legacy.

https://theaviationist.com/2016/07/...ttack-jets-that-flew-for-the-last-time-today/

1920px-Super_Etendards_in_flight_and_refueling_1988.JPEG

Super Etendard

It is the Super Etendard. It has quite the history (first flight 1974) and was more recently modernised. This was its last flight. A tribute to its wonderful legacy.

https://theaviationist.com/2016/07/...ttack-jets-that-flew-for-the-last-time-today/

1920px-Super_Etendards_in_flight_and_refueling_1988.JPEG
Interesting way they have loaded the aircraft on the catapult - it was no loading hook in the front landing gear, but a steel wire to the aircraft?

Yes, Guardian, that wire is called a sling. Each was lost on departure.
The Rafale has an integrated tractor boom instead thanks to the front
landing gear compressing and restituting the energy thus stored ...
which points out to a hidden feature of this commemorative video.

In 30 years, 1974 for the Super Étendard drawing on a 1950s design to
2004 with the arrival of the full capacity/"standard" F2 Raffys, those who
follow mil avia can see how naval airplanes changed from one to the other.

SEM2Rafale.png

That also points out the incredible ability of Dassault to maintain engineering
at the world's top level despite generational gaps ( real generations *wink* -30 years ).

Since the Super-Étendard Modifié/Modernisé took active duty, amazing planes
retired like the Tomcat A.K.A. F-14 & whole companies like its maker Grumman
either closed or were absorbed and bought until today were only three aircrafts
can pretend to be full-fledged carrier fighters* SH, Rafale and F-35,
from 2 countries.

SEMs can go put on their charentaises ( traditional French slippers ) and sip brandy;
its successor and their common maker are holding the fort!

:police: Tay.

* There remains other types going to sea and some nice enough jump jet mods
but those are the real flat top birds.

Last edited:
These saw action(from Argentina) in Falkland war. I think the only one....or are they in others?

HMS Sheffield and the Atalatic Conveyor were sunk by these things. They could have done a lot more damage to the British during Falkland war

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom